StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Show Us Your Dragon

edited September 2014 in Configuration

A thread here for those who wish to post pics of the various configurations and adaptions they use for their Stilldragon equipment.

If you have a new idea that has worked for you, or a new way to use our parts, post up here so everyone knows about it.

Or just show off your pride and joy.

Here's my every day outfit, SD potstill that is capable of holding two plates (which i rarely use) or operating as a pot (mostly)..

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

Comments

• Nice set up Punkin Here is my last config i used to strip a light malt extract scotch wash the wash was 1065 all extract with a kilo of brown sugar to lift the abv 7% ABV I used defoamer but the wash still crept up the column no plates the sight glases allowed me to regulate the heat to stop any wash coming over to the condenser

2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K
  • edited May 2013

Some one tole me this was recently doing a,,,cane,,,,,,extraction? 1/6" plate and 2/4" plates on top of something called a "Humper Thumper". Not sure what any of that means? What is a Humper Thumper??? Big baby worked fine after fores...They said it cruised along just like a big lazy V-8. Not sure what any of that means? :D

3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 66K

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited May 2013

pot and full reflux configurations

4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 87K
    5.jpg
    400 x 533 - 31K
  • Coop, silicone hose comming off the parrot? brilliant!!! I will steal this idea...

• hey punkin,

sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask in but what's the go with the pre condensor? What does that achieve? And coop love the links mate, i'll be watchin those shortly! I'm so close to ordering me dash 1 :D

• thanks Jonno the pre condensor or dephlagameter allows you to control the reflux ratio of the product before going to the secondary or shotgun to which turns the vapour into liquid

• oh i understand that but with punkin saying he usually runs in pot mode. i just thought that pre condensor had a purpose?

• Here she is....

6.jpg
    800 x 600 - 135K
  • Th baby condensor is there for when i occasionally run with plates.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited September 2014

BareKnuckles that little setup looks great i would think you would be making some good swill with that i reckon we would have some fun in that little shed

Inserted by @Moonshine:

I've merged the new Show Us Your Dragon with this one, because that's the original discussion for that purpose, no need for a second one.

@punkin said in Show Us Your Dragon:

A little thread where we can keep track of some nice configurations and people can get ideas.

I'll start off with a cracker just sent to me by a customer ;

Please feel free to post up your babies.

deesstill1.jpg
    450 x 800 - 57K
  • edited September 2014

...more to come

PotKettleBlack.jpg
    491 x 800 - 71K
  • edited September 2014

IMAG0507.jpg
    480 x 800 - 38K
  • edited September 2014

@captainshooch said: That sure is a sweet rig Drunkas

Thanks mate and so are the other rigs above mine. Ow and there are some very nice looking rigs below as well @captainshooch .

The DASH-2 SGK

the DASH-2/Crystal

The "......." you name it ...Big tall sob

IMG_2276.JPG
    600 x 800 - 79K
    IMG_2292.JPG
    600 x 800 - 75K
    006.JPG
    600 x 800 - 73K
  • This thread is a fine collection of SD gear! Keep it coming!

• @punkin is that rig insulated with wood? Details pls? It is different and also very nice

• @JoeHell Nice rig and nice pics! u a pro photographer or something? :D

• Yes mate, i don't know if the owner is a member here (he gave permission to post the pic), but a good customer all the same. He sent me that picture this morning. That is all the details i have except to say that he is working on a computer program to monitor the system.

• I never would have thought to configure the top side like that, but after looking at it for a bit it is quite elegant IMO.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Smaug said: I never would have thought to configure the top side like that, but after looking at it for a bit it is quite elegant IMO.

I agree, it is graceful and sexy. Stunning picture.

• edited September 2014

hello all, thanks Punkin for the posting of the unit

The unit is coopered in silver ash veneered ply, (job left over) CNC rings give spaces from the boiler, and it has two Dallas temp robes in punkins thermometer wells,(just lathed them out to size) and tig welded them in, then the boiler has a inner gap of 50mm from the boiler to ply and 2 part liquid foam has been poured in from the bottom and let to expand.

the rear also has a cut out section for two 2400 watt elements.

the top filler is currently been fitted (parts from punkin) with a G11 led light so, as to be able to see inside the boiler, Why because i can and i cant sleep at night.

from no insulated to insulated the heating time is a massive 46% increment and holding the temp has stabled very nicely

on the drawing table is a computer controlled monitoring system and a fill by weight program that is mounted on the side of the boiler.

thanks all

Keep them coming

(taste and tell day should be organized)

• will post more detailed pictures soon

• @rumdog its almost too pretty to use.
    Years ago in another life, we built a large paint booth and it was perfect and beautiful. Then a helper slopped paint on the side and I said, "Good. Now that its dirty it can be used without worry about the looks".

My boiler is also insulated but the intent was to keep the stillin' area from getting hot. The side benefits of faster boil up time and increased temperature stability were a big plus.

@captainshooch what can I say that hasn't already been said? Except that when you get ready to upgrade to a bigger still (not taller, bigger) then you already have the parts to build four 4" Crystal Dragons.
    I for one am waiting to see you do to 8" what you did for 4". Warn me in advance though because it could take a small sea freight just for that :P

• C'mon Boss put some pics of your sweet rig up. I shipped one today that will make you cringe a little in 4", but i have a 5" ready to ship for a member here that will be competition to yours. :))

• edited September 2014

Wellll, Okayyy....

But when it grows up it wants to be:

And by mating the two and with selective breeding:

lloyds 5in CD.JPG
    600 x 800 - 62K
    Grip (3).JPG
    510 x 800 - 44K
    T500 Baby Dragon (3).JPG
    600 x 800 - 90K
  • edited September 2014

The big one above is the tower of sibling distillery. They really have style.

http://siblingdistillery.com/

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Yep, that's @Grip's setup. A very pretty still.

• @captainshooch said: JoeHell Nice rig and nice pics! u a pro photographer or something? :D

I'm a graphic designer who has sold some photos so I guess so. That was as good as I could do with my iPhone.

• edited September 2014

That Sibling still is beautiful cant stop going back to look at the pic! Is that a 380l boiler 8" crystal, super deflag ? WOW!!