StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

"Craft" Whiskey isn't always Craft

edited August 2014 in General

This is a sad reality in the world today:

Your ‘Craft’ Rye Whiskey Is Probably From a Factory Distillery in Indiana @ The Daily Beast

StillDragon has a cool place in this fight to provide good product as I'd suspect most people here wouldn't consider buying bulk whiskey or NGS and call it their own when they already know how to make a superior product.

Comments

• We have a local "distillery," I walked in to talk to them only to find out they did the same. Buy bulk NGS, filter, cut it with water and then sell it as a premium product. They use the same base to make gin as well. I'm not a fan of government regulation but it'd be nice to see some industry standard where those who repackage or slightly modify a product are know. As repackages and not distillers. For a brewer like me, that's the same as restaurants who contract their beer and then sell it with their label as though they made it.

• @Grudaire said: I'm not a fan of government regulation...

Agreed. I'm even less of a fan of people who need government regulation to be honest. It seems sketchy in an industry that is already as regulated as this that people can tell blatant lies about the product as long as the label passes inspection by the TTB and the proof is correctly labeled.

The beer industry has the distinction a little bit better where you have brewing companies and beer companies, so it's easy to identify when someone doesn't actually make their own product. Brewing companies make beer (ie. Victory Brewing Company), Beer companies just market it while someone else makes it (ie Boston Beer Company). Those lines can be blurred, as a beer company can own the entity that is doing some or all of their contract brewing, but that entity would be a legally separate brewing company.

• Yup its funny when you see a 21 year old rye from a company that started in 2007.

• I'd like to tour the mega MGP distillery in Indiana.

• Ah let them tell their lie's and let them think that we believe them. We know better. We have SD and what we make is far superior then what they make. Believe That.

• I've toured eight craft distilleries and three had NGS barrels sitting around in the open.

I give a pass to one that was making lemon-cello.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• edited August 2014

Bit OT but it pisses me off with beer as well. All the big name "imported" beer is brewed and bottled locally Restaurants still get away with advertising it as imported,.and bottleshops get away with charging premium imported prices.

• edited August 2014

Some distillery visit thoughts:

Rum made from white sugar (holy burn)

Rums sugared post-distillation (amazing what 12g per liter of sugar will do to rum)

Vodka made from GNS

Whiskies darkened with caramel coloring (no no just to "adjust for consistency")

Vodkas flavored with small amounts of sugar and citric acid (when is flavored vodka not flavored vodka? Amazing what this does though)

• "Vodkas flavored with small amounts of sugar and citric acid (when is flavored vodka not flavored vodka?"

Technically, I think it any adjunct less than 2%...

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• that citric/sugar is the only thing for vodka.... very clearly spelled out in the CFR... supposedly they had a good reason for doing it...

as far back as 1949: ATF Ruling 97-1

A "trace amount" of citric acid within the meaning of 27 C.F.R. 5.23(a) (3) shall be no more than 1,000 ppm.