StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Boilers Available in Australia

We will be stocking boilers from next week in a range of sizes from 120l to 380l. See http://stilldragon.com.au/boilers.php for details.

I am about to be able to also offer brand new legally sourced 50 litre beer kegs that are custom designed to operate as boilers. You can have drains, heating elements, large diameter top ferrule or pretty much whatever you decide. The standard model will probably be with two 2" ferrules for elements, 3/4 drain and standard 2" keg top and looks like coming in under $300. Just as easy to turn it upside down and have a 2" drain port and a 4" ferrule welded to the top for fitting a Dash and easy cleaning access.

Hoping to have firm figures and stock in the next 3-4 weeks.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

Comments

• edited June 2013

380lboiler2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 107K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• well bugger me i need to start saving but actually i have so much booze i dont have plans to ferment for at least a year!+ i love SD

• Pretty. I like. I want world piece, equality for women and a new punkin boiler. 3 things that ain't going to happen. I'm sure someone will snap it up before I find my gold nugget.

They look real nice punkin. =D>

• There'll be others still be in stock when you are ready. Everyone who's seen mine in the flesh immediately starts a savings plan :))

• Hoping you have a good welder. Had an idea.

• Yes mate, i think he's ok. Keen to hear about it when you'r ready.

• edited June 2013

Yeah Punkin I was thinking about cutting the bottom out of two kegs and welding them together back to back, my thinking is that you would be left with a 2" ferrule at the bottom, normal drain setup, at the top 4" ferrule for pot or dash. Two welded in bushes for twin elements. This would result in 95-100litre capacity in a really compact boiler. Nothing fancy but at present I need to do 2-3 strippers to a Spirit run (small/medium). This would cut the process down by 50% at a potentially lower cost than a full blown SD boiler. If you are sourcing kegs OS, the other option would be a 100litre jobbie, but I think this would work better because of the drain setup. What do you recon?

• Dunno mate. I'll see how i go sourcing the kegs first. Having a few teething problems. They are sourced from within the country. I do know (as i asked ) that the min run for custom kegs is 50 plus $4500 tooling costs!

• Would doing that not make it to tall rossco? What are the measurements of the 120 l boiler punkin?

• I had a stainless LPG tank that was ~90L and would be the ~same size as welding two kegs together.

I had massive puking problems that I nutted down to having too small a surface area compared to the volume When I went to a boiler that was much wider (Tiny) the puking problems stopped.

These SD boilers are even wider than that.

• @jonno said: Would doing that not make it to tall rossco? What are the measurements of the 120 l boiler punkin?

The 120's stand about 900mm off the floor and are around 700mm in diameter. Roscos already drooled over one in the flesh =))

When i get my source and prices nailed down i'll put you in touch with my welder and you two can nut it out whether to go ahead or not mate.

• Thanks for the input LOO. I guess I know wot is going to happen. Even with a 120 Im gonna have height issues.

• Welding 2 kegs together is a fairly easy process, 2.4 filler rod and it is easier if you have a jig together and someone to turn it for you.

• match made i heaven a person wanting two kegs weldedededed and a weldedededer who can make it happen... :))

• Rossco is about 400 km from me FS, local welder in his area would be the way to go.

• That's only a 4 hour run each way... no stroke for a stroker....

• Spud you got a jig? Ive got to come your way for a weekend in about a month. Got two compatable kegs an I can pick up some beer on the way.

• Better get me a six pack for doing the matchmaking. :))

• No jig but can still do it, you can be the TA. If you can cut and fit it that would be great if not we can do it here. I didn't think you'll be bringing two kegs 800km round trip to get them welded but if you are going to be up here we can do it easy enough. Good to catch up, there are a few people local here who would be keen to come over and catch up while you are here to I reckon.

• OK I'll let let you know when. Hopefully it can work out time wise. Gotta come up anyway.

Got some white agave punkin. Its really good. I'll save you some. Sendn beer would b a bit pointless. BTW my octaves are back, Trev flamed the crap out of them, they turned out awesome.

Rossco

• Excellent. Take it to Pm's or the front page guys now. Good news on the barrels too.

• edited November 2013

Found this site on polishing kegs, may be of interest to those purchasing the new satin finish keg boilers i have in stock.

Stainless Polishing Tips @ Suebob.com

Only the final two steps would be needed.

• edited December 2013

One of the Stage 2 keg boilers shipping out this week with a Dash 1 to sit on top. This one will have the 2" Sightglass option and hopefully we'll see some pics next week when it's all up and running. And a 1" drain standard for a quick drain at the end of the day. Keg Boilers can now come with Stainless 304 ball valves

Twin 3600 elements and guards on a SD Controller should have her humming along.

kegboilerstage2sgoption1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 69K
    kegboilerstage2sgoption3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 103K

• edited December 2013

Received a care package from @punkin today!!!!
    The three 2400 watt elements and a spare. Then spent about an hour fitting them to the element guards. Now I FINALLY have top quality elements and just in time to fit to my new boiler.

Also shown is his famous American charred oak and French toasted oak. This is all top shelf stuff and from him to me (Australia to China) was incredibly only 6 days.

Perfect order, thank you Punkin.

SAM_4188.JPG
    800 x 600 - 86K
  • Nice keg Punkin. Do you guys have the 100 litre kegs in Australia? I like mine but still dream about getting a bigger SD boiler. They are just so nice. :D

• edited December 2013

Not a standard item Myles. There used to be 18 imp gallon (80 litre) kegs and there is still a few of them floating round in peoples sheds. Some importers are bringing in some used 100l from what i've seen, but they are far from available.

I'll have some 50l milk cans in stock in the next couple of weeks (leaving China this week) and the new kegs are a stock item that is customisable, but the next step up is the 120l onion boilers...

gasboiler3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 111K