Almost Famous...

We made the paper! (and not 'cause we blew up!)

Dunedin aims to create St. Petersburg-inspired arts district @ Tampa Bay Times

Michael Cotherman is among those already chomping at the bit.

The 47-year-old Tarpon Springs man and his wife, Tara Cupp, are feverishly working to open Cotherman Distilling Co. in coming weeks in a 4,000-square-foot warehouse that formerly housed Bayshore Plumbing at 933 Huntley Ave.

The craftsman said he's not worried by a state law that limits his alcohol sales to two bottles per person per year.

"It's got that niche where people like to come and hang out. And even better, we're on the water," Cotherman said.

Susan Rollins Gehring, a Dunedin resident and immediate past president of the Professional Association of Visual Arts, and stained glass artist Dee Rodriques both called it a "wonderful" idea.

Comments

• arts district?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• You'll be selling autographs soon :D

• @punkin said: arts district?

It is a trend here with community re-vitalization plans Garry. Some communities have some funding at their disposal also.

Sides,,,,making a good spirit is an art so it goes just fine with the planning effort. And even though Florida is way behind the curve when it comes to spirits compared to other places here in the states,,,,,,,Lots of folks totally understand the revenue potential.

I figure Florida is not pushing "craft distilleries" because it is already second in the nation for alcohol sales.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• They art dismantling rampant prostitution to build an arts district...Wtf is the world coming to?...imagine if Amsterdam did that

• Booze, broads and building a distillery... the legend continues.

• The craftsman said he's not worried by a state law that limits his alcohol sales to two bottles per person per year.

This is disturbing. How long can a man last on two bottles? Maybe they have really small glasses over there, maybe it can be done with a single small sip a day, you only have to divide the content of one bottle by 180, which even gives you a couple of days with two sips... :-B

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Ha... They can go buy all they want at the liquor store, that provision is still solid gold for the distiller though, as it exempts us from the three tier system for a portion of sales to promote tourism and my business. We have 1200-1800 people a day travel the trail next to my building... more on weekends and in-season.. if I sold 1 out of a hundred a bottle I would be jumping for joy, one out of a thousand.

We expect the limit in our state will be raised as they see the benefit, and also hope they add in sales for on premise consumption that was removed from the bill.

• Where are the Lobbyists when you need one...

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @Moonshine said: Where are the Lobbyists when you need one...

The three tier system is fighting to protect their market share.

But it is the craft guys that are doing all of the work if you consider that most distributors do nothing to promote the new guy. So ultimately the new guy goes into his pocket for production, promotion and in many instances deliveries. The new guy pays for everything and then gets paid last while the distributor does very little and gets paid first.

The distiller pays for the privilege of being able to make money for the distributor. Sounds crimimal.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Middle man makes a higher profit than mfg or retailer. +1criminal!!

• He said two bottles...no one mentioned the maximum size?

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• unfortunately, america's unsuccessful switch to the metric system in the 70's yielded only one real casualty... the gallon jug... 1.75L is now the largest...

• Hey perhaps you can sell hand made artistic bottles - and include the contents for free!!!!! :D

• Cool!
    Lots of bottle collectors out there.

Always nice to know the bottle can actually hold liquid without leaking :))

• How about a growler...two a year max, but I'll refill it for a fee!

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...