New Plates, Bubble Caps and Perforated Plates WTF over?

I am lacking in knowledge and seek to obtain same!

I have been told that perforated plates are the best at rectifying spirits, that bubble plates are not as efficient, so I need some education.

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the perf plate?
  2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the bubble caps?
  3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the new SD ProCap36 (and by extension the flow director)?

I will likely want a very energy efficient plate with the ability to purify and remove flavor from the spirit as my primary use. A secondary would be a whiskey still which I could just remove some plates to get.

I haven't found anything that explains this very well, so even a link to a source then a decent explanation of whats going on with the new plates would be good.

FS

Comments

• edited July 2014

There was a really good table that Harry posted on Artisan Distiller that pointed out the benefits and drawbacks of all the different types of columns and rated each one on things like turndown, speed etc.

I'm a search gumby and can't find it, but it may be somewhere in his tastlime library i'll bet.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited July 2014

This is pretty good overview. It's industrial in nature, but still applicable.

Lecture 19.2 (PPT)

ppt
    ppt
    Lecture19-2.ppt
    4M
  • Fuji

if you haven't been to Harry's library get ready to get lost in it ... so much information... i plan on going for a few minutes and it turns into hours...

FS (and dang it FS is my acronym) :D maybe you can be just fuji

• @FullySilenced said: (and dang it FS is my acronym) :D maybe you can be just fuji

He could be, but one only gets a notification about being mentioned if the full username with the "@" in front (without space inbetween) is used.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• not sure where Harry's site is. any linky?

Grim, Love the techno geek stuff. reviewing it now!

cheers

• well reading and checking out that PPT and still kinda a mystery.

perf passes vappr better but bubbles pass liquid better? so what do I need then?

still clueless

• I've asked Harry to chime in.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited July 2014

He couldn't remember the chart i mentioned but the man is a searching machine and remembered discussing it a few years ago.

Re: Still with bubble plates - the show goes on @ AD by Harry

• @punkin Thanks for the link. loads of good info! surprised it just stopped over 2 yrs ago.

• yes I should have thanked you too Punkin. cheers for that.

Essentially my understanding of this is now:

perf plates are great when you want to push the wash thru the still as fast as possible and get a clean distillation. you will need the power to suspend the vapor to keep the plates operating at peak efficiency tho as they have a narrow window of operation compared to...

Bubble plates. Can be operated at a wide range of vapor speeds and input power to achieve results. best for flavor pass thru and lower power ops, where vapor speeds are within a (design) specific window. Push these too hard and they will flood and not perform thier job.

New Type 36 continuous level plates. These have the benefits of both the perf and bubble plates. they wont flood when you push them hard with high vapor flow rates, but allow for lower power operations where flavor pass thru is desired.

Correct me if im wrong about lower power ops on the type 36 plates please.

Fiji

• Sounds like a good, simple explanation to me.

• @Fiji_Spirits you could have saved me reading 34 pages!! +1 on the good and simple explanation >:P #:-S =))

• it's more the journey than the destination bro. :P