Cheap Crankenstein Grain Mill for a Handy Man in Australia

Just broke the shaft in my 2a mill. I broke it after a few years use just 4 brews ago and got a local mate to turn me up a new one on the lathe. When it came back it was a bit wonky and i had my doubts about it lasting.

If someone either owns a lathe or has access to someone who does, it would be a cheap intro into owning a mill. It's fully adjustable both ends and in good condition besides the shaft, i am replacing it because i don't have access to a turner i trust.

Make me an offer as it's much too good to throw out and i don't want to see it sitting on my shelf gathering dust.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

Tagged:

Comments

• Sure, i paid over two hungie for it, how's $40 delivered sound? It's not a hard repair if you have a lathe and some basic skills of which i have neither.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I was going to fix it for you, not me! lol I got one already....

• edited February 2014

Nah mate, i ordered a Mashmaster Mini Mill yesterday. Can't be without a mill, i'd run out of beer.

It's not much different to the mill i have same adjustability without the knobs. same sze rollers etc but it's the only adjustable mill i could find with a geared roller rather than a lazy roller.

• edited February 2014

@Punkin off topic I know but wanted you to knwo that the schmidling malt mill with corn option I bought back when the $ was higher also has geared rollers Schmidling Maltmill

• My choice is Millars. no bushings, rather bearings for the rollers but not geared. A good mill for me so far Millars Mills - Barley Mill & Grain Crusher

• Thanks Croz, was looking at the schmildling. The website talks about the adjustability on some models but i wasn't clear whether it was adjustable on both ends and if so which model. Some of the forums said the factory setting was not the best gap for homebrewers and that only one end was adjustable.

The mini mill is stainless rollers, i don't think i've done too bad.

• edited February 2014

Apologies for the poor quality but @Law_Of_Ohms wanted some pics.

As you can see, apart from the shaft and the flat i have ground so the drill grips the actual mill is in very good condition, as good as the day i bought it.

Some really dodgy pics, but what it shows is the 1/2" bright steel shaft that is turned down to a thread that fits into the roller itself and screws in. The shaft has broken where the thread starts. The end of the threaded bit is exposed and last time the said it came out easily with an easy-out. It's onl;y been used a few times since so i assume it would be easy again.

Next pic is just another blurry one of the shaft that you can see in the first pic...

It really is too good an item to let go to waste.

mill1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 116K
    mill2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 44K
    mill3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K

• edited February 2014

Hi Punkin, The crank's & the mashmaster are both top units. I went for the schmidling as I wanted longer rollers, wider gap & gear driven to quickly chew though bags of grain. The maltmill is adjustable on only 1 end, however I ahve not found this to be an issue - the schmidling web site talks about crush quality & the performance of their mill (Schmidling - Brewing Application Notes, P.2 - GRAINMILL THROUGHPUT) by having the adjustment at only 1 end they get a variety of differnet size particles out. The highly reputable George Fix did a side by side comparison with a commercial mill in a micro brewery & obtained results from the maltmill as that from a $6500 mill!

I occasionally run through twice, but considering the speed it processes at, this isn't an issue. Adjustable at both ends is IMHO not necessary.

• Thanks croz, great info. Wish i'd asked on here before the purchase. I was running the crankenstein through twice anyway as i found setting the gap to crack but not crush all the grains and then running them back through at the same setting gave me a lot of husk as nearly all my beers contain either wheat or rye or both.

• I would think cranmenstein would replace broken parts?

• Maybe mate, @olddog got it for a steal, not sure whether he has got it going yet. I bought it from over his way from Roy at the home brew shop in Perth, so maybe he could get the shaft in if he hasn't already turned up a new one.

• edited July 2014

I turned up a new shaft, now works well, thanks @punkin.