StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Have we progressed or digressed?

I'm trying to decide whether, as humans we have progressed or digressed. Which do you think?

http://vimeo.com/37360333

Comments

• Sweet vid gr8,all depends on the end product! And what you want at the end.

It is what you make it!

• edited February 2015

Flipside of the coin.

Edited by @Moonshine: Video on YouTube not available any more.

• Like that one also,use to work on Great Lake freighters(boiler work),seen the motors that some thing that would fit in!

I will dig in my Pics and see if I can find a picture of the quad piston steam motor that we use to work on yearly.

It is what you make it!

• I saw one of these machines in action at the International Machine Tool Show in Chicago

• hand made axe? what $$ would you expect to pay for that? I recon $400

• @bentstick said: Like that one also,use to work on Great Lake freighters(boiler work),seen the motors that some thing that would fit in!

I will dig in my Pics and see if I can find a picture of the quad piston steam motor that we use to work on yearly.

I used to think the Fairbanks opposing piston engines we had for backup power on submarines were giants.

@FullySilenced said: I saw one of these machines in action at the International Machine Tool Show in Chicago

Its crazy what they set up at shows there. I've been to a few packaging shows there and some food production as well.

@Law_Of_Ohms said: hand made axe? what $$ would you expect to pay for that? I recon $400

I think you can get one for 300 and change, but they arent making them at the moment they are making kitchen knives.

You can have one like this for 117.00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLM6Qnf6zPw

• I think we need to understand the definition of digress verses regress...

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• A svante djarv little viking axe is on my wish list. Cost a bit more than a 6" T, so not too bad really.

• My only fear is that one day, we won't know how to make things by hand. It will be lost!

Years ago I used to try and show my son how to do things. His reply was, "I'll never do that. I'll hire or buy that!"

Now he realizes what his friends can't do and says thank you.

If you become dependent on others or machinery, you have regressed as a self sufficient human.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• @dad - so true! Before I was allowed to drive, my dad had me change all the tires on his car and change the oil. When a buddy and I got a flat while driving, I just swore some, changed the tire and moved on - 15 minute delay. He then told me when they had a flat, they drove it to the garage killing the tire and rim in the process...

• edited February 2015

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

— Robert Heinlein

• edited February 2015

@dad - My father insisted I participate in all things mechanical and otherwise growing up. So much so, I was "loaned" to local neighbors, or even ones of my Uncles for assistance (Prolly some booze, too).. To this day, I am thankful. I wasn't back then. I thought it totally unfair I had to do all these damn chores an such.. But it prepared me for one thing...Out Here, you are the warranty

tractor_1_360.jpg
    360 x 206 - 18K

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• What a great thread...I'm glad I grew up when I did.... back in what I call "the good times" learning how to do things for myself. I can turn my hands to a lot of things, it saves me money for a start. Makes me wonder where we'll all be in the years to come...."Have we progressed"....in some ways, but we've lost out in lots of others.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom

Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate