Complete Beginner

Just introducing myself here.

I am a complete beginner having never done any distilling or beer making. I think It is the fear of getting caught and the way that can ruin a future, if I were to run a still, that stopped me. Here in Canada they make it very hard to get any hands on experience at distillation. So being brave or a fool, I haven't decide yet, I'm looking to set up a licensed micro distillery. I don't have unlimited funds but I also don't want to go too small that there is no profit once every one else is paid. I'm open to being educated by those that have gone before. I would rather here about mistakes than make them myself. If any of you are running your own Dash2 and can give a guy a road map to making good spirits and not go broke, then I'm all ears. I'm thinking along the lines of the 380 liter boiler running a 8" Dash2 and 8 plates. To keep this up and running how many fermentation tanks and what ever else is needed.

Comments

• Hi and welcome @Douglas.
    Before spending any money I'd suggest that you visit as many micro-distilleries as possible. Even work for one as an apprentice if possible.
    I think most would be willing to share their startup experience with you. Also, there are distilling teachers available that charge a modest fee to help you put forth a plan to success.

Rusty Figgins, master distiller, comes to mind. He has a week long training class every 3 months.

Rusty Figgins business card-1.jpg
    521 x 305 - 31K
  • I have been to a few distillers here in Vancouver BC but they all seem to be using the big European stills (Carls, Bavarian Holsteins etc.) and have more money invested than I have access to. I plan to go down to Red Door in Everett Wa. as he seems to be running the type of set up I'm thinking of for myself. This is a complete lifestyle change from my former job (driving bus) and its one that will allow me to pass something to my kids when that time comes verses just the job.

• I took Rusty's class and now I am days away from getting my DSP... can't say enough good things about rusty....

• I think RedDoor was a student of his, too.

• Welcome Douglas, You should be able to do two runs a (full) day with the set up you describe. The 380 gives you a decent option of a shorter day. That will be helpful in the begining since you will not have any demand. Also our single wall 380s are an extremely good value. If you are doing whiskey I would at least recommend an agitator however.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• If you start off with a 380L as a stripping still and a smaller still as your spirit still (and yet another as a boiler for your GB4), I think you will be at the right level of equipment for the learning phase... the 380L will be my spirit still when I go to a 1000L steam powered stripping still.. here is my SD Family.. lost of parts yet to be used until we get our DSP...

sd_family.jpg
    450 x 800 - 61K
  • edited May 2014

@CothermanDistilling said: If you start off with a 380L as a stripping still and a smaller still as your spirit still (and yet another as a boiler for your GB4), I think you will be at the right level of equipment for the learning phase... the 380L will be my spirit still when I go to a 1000L steam powered stripping still.. here is my SD Family.. lost of parts yet to be used until we get our DSP...

A good strategy to re purpose the smaller tanks into a dedicated operation IMO. And at our price points the end user could have 3 or 4 dedicated systems for less than some of the other vendors out there.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited May 2014

In trying to gather information for a credible business plan that the banks can digest. This is a very rudimentary start as I have never done anything like this before. I have put a spread sheet that I believe correctly calculates the expected revenue from a 500 liter still and bottled at 80 proof in a 750ml bottle. Any help from those that have gone before and can see errors or can add to It. That would be great. As it stands now the 8 inch still is the largest one you make, any idea when the larger rumored 12 inch will be available?

Vodka (XLSX

xlsx
    xlsx
    vodka.xlsx
  • Hi @Douglas, the 12" is in development now and the prototype parts have been ordered. I expect about 3 months before production pieces are ready to ship to your distributor. The 12" Crystal Dragon and the SS Bubble Tees are being developed simultaneously. Both will share the new plate technology, as will future versions of 5" and bigger.