Flooding a dash - the easy way

edited April 2014 in Usage

Well last run was not quite as planned, managed to stuff up twice.

Over fill boiler with a feints run, chucked full power at it, got distracted at the wrong time = flooding.

http://youtu.be/JArxUdAqSWU

Then half way through the run abv was dropping so l increase water flow, top plate flooded. Must have been heaps sitting in the 500mm packed section falling back. Took 10 min to settle. Was still pulling over 90% before adjusting, 94% while flooded?

http://youtu.be/G03DCCKhyZA

The hearts actually turned out pretty good.

Tagged:

Comments

• Soon , it may be impossible to flood any SD column.

More details later.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Sounds interesting Smaug...

• I'm still trying to work out how to stop flooding at 3/5 full power. 2/5 runs fine, 3/5 floods. I keep playing with the downcomers trying to find a setup that stays balanced.

Can someone explain why exactly the partial flooding in the video is necessarily a bad thing? Seems @fadge got a higher ABV flooded.

• The still I built with weir downcomers was impossible to flood

• The 5" column cannot be flooded. :-SS

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• So this is 5000L Kothe still.... with a thumper, and two plated columns... but then the 2nd column has the base plate flooded with a yellowish liquid.... I am certain is it corn, to infuse flavor... intentionally... seems like a really big waste of money to make corn liquor to me, but it did taste good...

1.jpg
    600 x 803 - 67K
    2.jpg
    600 x 803 - 106K
  • @jbierling said: I'm still trying to work out how to stop flooding at 3/5 full power. 2/5 runs fine, 3/5 floods. I keep playing with the downcomers trying to find a setup that stays balanced.

Can someone explain why exactly the partial flooding in the video is necessarily a bad thing? Seems fadge got a higher ABV flooded.

As I recall, one one the German still manufacturers has some info in their operator's manual that endorses deeper liquid beds for higher ABVs.

I have talked about this at length on a few different forums based on personal experience but I am kinda tired of cramming the concept down peoples throats since my words come from an unqualified place.

• Admitting I know very little about operating thumpers, from what I understand they would do essentially the same thing as a flooded plate. It seems to me that flooding would be a good thing assuming the flooding doesn't reach the plate above.

• but you can agree that it is weird that he lower plate on the right column in the picture is flooded with yellow liquid?

Oh, and the glass encased hydrometer was dancing a nice jig while they were doing this run....

• Dancing as in pressure imbalance?

• either no surge breaker (maybe it has a valve and turned off, or fire marshal had them plug it, I dunno) or running at puking level... part of me looks at a million dollar still and how they are using it and thinks "they have a Ferrari and are doing donuts in the yard..." the other part of me says... "I wanna try doing donuts in the yard with a Ferrari!

• Two words: Humper Thumper

• why is it I can never view any youtube vids on eh ??