StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

I'd rather take a beating...

... than to have to move.
We found a nice warehouse space but it's some distance from our apartment so we are also moving into an apartment close to the new warehouse.
Over 200 boxes have been packed and moved. We're not even half way done yet.

This moving thing is not as much fun as I'd thought it was going to be.

Comments

• I'll get out the whips, chains, leather masks, fluffy handcuffs, chaps, etc shall I?

• I'm feeling so much pressure because of the timeline. We need to be out of this apartment by the 10th and the new apartment is being repainted and refurnished and we haven't even started to pack the household stuff yet.
    Tan goes to school all day every Sunday to become certified in accounting and is going to miss this Sunday so we can get more done - and I really hate that because I know she will fall behind and its so hard to catch up.

In the rush to get things going, we assembled the first 10 shelving units backwards. 8 units were to be assembled A and 2 to be B (the spacing between the shelves on the pallet racking). We will need to unload all the shelving and fix it and re-load the product onto the corrected shelving before moving more inventory, and more shelving, into the warehouse. Without the change it wastes too much space for the Tees, Bends, Condensers, etc.
    That's tomorrow morning. Tomorrow afternoon we'll need to have about 140 more boxes moved to the new warehouse plus my personal stilling stuff which is A LOT.

I figure 3 more big truck loads and maybe a final cleanup load to get everything moved.

My apologies for not posting on the forum very often lately, and to my slow responses to the SD distributors, during this major upgrade.

But let me tell you, the new warehouse butts up to the Yangzhou University campus and it gives us access to unlimited part-time help (OMG that is going to be a major help when assembling 1000 SGKs and 10,000 bubble caps!) and OVER 100 RESTAURANTS at my fingertips (yes, you read that right, more than 100 restaurants within easy walking distance). I'm going to be fat as a house!

• @Law_Of_Ohms said: I'll get out the whips, chains, leather masks, fluffy handcuffs, chaps, etc shall I?

You have a secret hidden cupboard or better yet, a basement @Law_Of_Ohms? errr, come to think about it, I don't want to know :-/

@Lloyd, you should have enlisted the help of the uni students up front. Many hands make light work.... 100 Restaurants within walking distance? You can make it up to Tan just by taking her out to dinner. No cooking or washing the dishes, with more time for her to spend on studying.

Everyone's happy ;)

• Exciting times mate. You have still been available every time i've wanted to talk to you, so no apology needed. :)>-

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @Lloyd what @punkin said +1, no appologies needed. If I have learned anything from this hobby it is that patience is a virtue. Take your time and get settled in first!...I know you'll catch up in time.

• 7 more shelving units were assembled and 2 more truckloads of stuff were moved yesterday. Its all 'over there' from 'over here' now. The unpacking and organizing begins today :((

We have already been tapping the college kids for some part-time work. Mostly for help assembling the shelves and moving heavy boxes.
    Sad to say but Tan does not like to eat out much and prefers to cook at home where she knows the food is clean and fresh. She refuses to eat street food (the many vendors that line the streets and usually sell just one delicacy) or at any restaurant that is not busy (as in, if its not busy it must not be good).
    I might forget your name 5 minutes after meeting you for the first time but when I discover a street food vender with something delicious the little neurons in my brain line up somehow and I can return to that vendor blindfolded :))

• edited March 2014

Got so much done yesterday and today.

Assembly area laid out.

Finished cartons that need assembly and boxing (SGKs, bubble caps, GB4s, element guards, etc) now have their own storage area. No picture yet because I was too pooped to organize those cartons today.

My office/stilling area took the biggest hit of collecting 'mixed boxes' - that's were you have one or two of anything and everything in the box.

Ordered the desks and hope to get internet there soon, perhaps tomorrow or the next day.

1.jpg
    800 x 450 - 80K
    2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 68K
  • Looking great @Lloyd....very nice indeed!

I could spend hours just looking at all your products on the shelves.......(and maybe inspecting a few pieces I don't have yet).

• We don't fill the big orders from our warehouse, its to stock the hard to produce items that are sourced from many factories and then assembled and boxed - and also to have a few of anything needed to fill an order to an area not serviced by a distributor.
    The big distributor's orders are staged out to receive all the various goods to fill their orders at a major China port warehouse (usually port Ningbo or port Shanghai) where the cartons from the many factories and vendors get crated and readied for export.

I often encounter the MOQ (minimum order quantity) so if a distributor needs 30 but the MOQ is 200pcs then I need to warehouse the other 170pcs til sold. I don't need to stock boilers so the distributor's need for warehouse space is more intense than mine.

My problem is the hundreds of one-of-a-kind prototypes and samples that, for some strange reason, I can't seem to throw away! (Mama called me a packrat). The GB4 alone produced at least 20 prototypes that are not good enough to sell but were needed to get the item from concept to finished product. And I cannot seem to travel to a major market, meet a factory owner or rep, or even go to the local hardware market without collecting some interesting trinket. A WHOLE NOTHER WAREHOUSE may be needed just to store the stuff I don't need but is too good to throw away.

@Philter said: I could spend hours just looking at all your products on the shelves.......(and maybe inspecting a few pieces I don't have yet).

I could think of nothing nicer than spending a distilling day with you, drinking and taking notes. Mostly me drinking and you taking notes. :D

• Yes it is the boilers that really gobble up the floor space.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited March 2014

Wish i had that much shelf space Lloyd, it is beautiful.

Philter you are welcome to pore through all the stock at my place. It's still a long way from you, but it's closer than China!. There wouldn't be too many items you don't already have though. =))

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• That's the main room. It used to be an illegal mahjong parlor (high stakes gambling instead of just for fun) and was shut down by the police. I walked into lots of upgrades including the stillroom (er my office) which is a hidden room, when the door is closed it is undetectable. There is a flashing red light fixture in it that could be activated by a button at the front desk and the high-rollers could slip out the back door during a police raid :)

• Good thing you are far away in China or I would walk in smiling and walk out flat broke.

• @captainshooch said: Good thing you are far away in China or I would walk in smiling and walk out flat broke.

A bit like using the SD shopping cart? :D

What, we're sold out of 4" glass again? ...where did all the 4" CD glass go?? Oh yes, I remember now... I saw the video!

• @Lloyd said: I could think of nothing nicer than spending a distilling day with you, drinking and taking notes. Mostly me drinking and you taking notes

Ha ha I can take notes and sample at the same time, but you never said accurate notes :)

@punkin said:

Philter you are welcome to pore through all the stock at my place. It's still a long way from you, but it's closer than China!. There wouldn't be too many items you don't already have though. =))

I 'd love to bring my own shopping basket trolley, and peruse the SD aisles. As long as you don't get me pissed. I have been known to be a shopaholic...... :-O Boom tish

• You wouldn't be the first mate to either shop with the provided baskets (not enough room to wield a trolley) or to get pissed and stay the night either <:-P

• edited March 2014

Punkin's B&B?

(Brew and Basket instead of bed and breakfast :) )

• @Lloyd said: Punkin's B&B?

(Brew and Basket instead of bed and breakfast :) )

=D>

• Everything has been moved to the warehouse, unpacked and (mostly) organized onto the shelving. Electricity and water is flowing and internet is expected to be installed today.
    Unlike the previous tenant, we are installing and paying for new service instead of stealing the internet from a neighbor :>
    The desks and chairs arrived yesterday - we're almost back up and running again. We even took delivery of two small shipments which means we were able to relay our address correctly.
    Our new apartment should be ready for us today and, if so, we can begin to make that move. Compared to the tons of SD stuff, the apartment move should be easy.

I leave to go to Hong Kong on the 11th and expect everything to be done on or before then.

All the really hard work is behind us now and hoping soon to take a short video of our surroundings. I know you think 100 plus restaurants is an exaggeration but a 2 or 3 minute video taken from my bike should convince you. This place comes alive at night and about half the shops don't bother to open until it starts to get dark. I'll try to catch it at a time when its busy but not too dark for the camera.

• This is exciting. Work is......work But its always good to step back for a moment...have some delicious street food and get back to a more improved working conditions. Good stuff. Our new location is a great facility but lunch choices are limited unless ww drive for a spell. Best wishes and congratulations on your new environment.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Congratulations, @Lloyd. It's nothing short of amazing how quickly everything works out for you over there.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• @SDeurope said: Congratulations, Lloyd. It's nothing short of amazing how quickly everything works out for you over there.

No-one is more surprised than me at how much we get done but in all truth I am lazy. Tan cracks the whip and I fall in line.

At the end of the day, almost every single day, I'm impressed at how much progress has been made. Sore and achy muscles to prove it!

We're moving the apartment next and the computers will be split between the warehouse that has internet now and the new apartment that does not have it yet.

I fear I'll be offline and disconnected from you guys (and gals) for a day or two. :((

But when I return its with 100M download speed instead of the 8M that we've had the last few years!

Even if I don't have the time to post a response to a thread of interest (and there are so many here) I still try to keep up with the conversations. And lately the activity here has been increasingly robust. Stuff I want to bite into and stuff that's over my head.
    That is actually my comfort zone.

• Good stuff mate.

• B&B.... we call ours a "still 'n grill"

• All moved in to the warehouse and new apartment.
    Its all mostly sorted except we haven't had time to get internet installed in the apartment yet but we don't stay there much, we're mostly at the warehouse anyway.
    My office/still room is the final battleground because it collected all the junk and clutter (but it's some really good junk and clutter).
    The really hard work is finally done and I truly feel as though I've taken a beating.

I sincerely hope we do not outgrow this warehouse soon. I know we will be looking for a bigger and nicer apartment but we have a year before we need to act.

...and someone was knocking on the back door last night wanting to play mahjong :))

• @Lloyd said:

...and someone was knocking on the back door last night wanting to play mahjong :))

Good one, that's going to go on for a while. Have you got room for an opium den?

• Well, I am open minded... if they want to share their opium in exchange for a shot or two of my 6 month old bourbony stuff I could probably squeeze em into a corner somewhere =))

They gave me opiates after my leg operation here a few years ago, only time I ever had it. I can see why its restricted. If it was unrestricted I'd give up drinking (and probably everything else).

I might even would create a new recipe... bourbon, water and a splash of opium but would be absolutely unsure if it should the drank or attached to an IV.

In real life, there is very little drugs here because the penalty for selling illegal drugs is not like it is in the states or elsewhere. A light sentence is life of hard labor in prison. The standard sentence is a bullet to the brain and your family is billed 25 cents for bullet.

Like I said, not a lot of illegal drugs here, or gang bangers, or graffiti, or riots, or pizza. It's a mixed bag I tell ya. And CORN and GREEN PEAS on pizza is just WRONG!

• I hope you have left a bit of clear wall space to mount your control panel in your stillroom.

• Oh yes. Before moving in, I had 60 amps service, a water connection and a drain installed in the designated still space. Its the only uncluttered area in the room until I can organize all the treasure (AKA junk and clutter).