My Controller Knock-Off

So I thought I would start a new discussion on my controller build. After seeing what @olddog had built for the other members of the forum I had to have one. At this point the build is still in the gathering mode getting all the bits and bobs that I am going to need. As some of you might know I have a dash unit and I plan on getting a 120L SD boiler to go with her just need em to be in stock again.

So the over all plan is to build a console controller that is mounted on the side on the boiler on a swing arm.

also note that the picture has be designed by a engineer.

As much as this build is about building a console controller that is fully functioning it is also about over all ferness of the look of the machine. I am a welder by trade and I really appreciate metal work. Generally when I build something from still for a friend or a customer I don't cut any corners but when it comes to my own work I tend to take the root of lets just get the job done so I can get on with enjoying my time. But not this time. The gloves came off the day I paid for my SD dash unit. Every thing I do from now on that is for my stilling is going to be smick :D

So I probably should start talking about the controller. I want to run 2 elements in it. Some advise on what one's to pick would be appreciated.
I had to re wire the shed last year so I could run 3x20 amp power points. I said to the Sparky I want to run 3 welders at the same time make it happen.
I have all ready received a bunch of gear in the mail for the build PID lights buzzers switches This build wont be one of those builds that get's done over night. expect it to take a few months to get done. I also want to incorporate beer making in to the unit while I am at it as its something that I have just started to get in to. Down the track all grain. I want to have the ability to tern pumps on and off. Monitor all my stilling temps and so on. One problem I think I might have is finding the right shape SS box that I am looking for.

Another pro engineering drawing.

One last picture of what I have all ready gathered.

Comments

• edited March 2014

Looks like you are well on your way, contact me if you need any help. If you are going to use for mashing, why not fit a timer like this.

• Great concept Drunkas, i'll talk to Lloyd about ordering boilers, getting a bit of pressure to put my order in earlier than i wanted to.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2014

@Drunkas check the part number on your PID controller and make sure it is meant for heating and not cooling. Those REX C100 controllers are not universal, you need to order the right controller for the job.

REX - C100/400/410/700/900 Initial Setting Manual (PDF)

If you don't have the correct part the Sestos D1S-VR-220 is a much better product for you want to do. I have used them before and the autotune is spot on. It does both heat and cool.

• edited March 2014

@olddog said: Looks like you are well on your way, contact me if you need any help. If you are going to use for mashing, why not fit a timer like this.

Or this: Sestos Digital Quartic Timer Relay Switch 100-240V Omron Relay Ce Ac100-240V B3S

• edited March 2014

@Mickiboi said: Drunkas check the part number on your PID controller and make sure it is meant for heating and not cooling. Those REX C100 controllers are not universal, you need to order the right controller for the job.

REX - C100/400/410/700/900 Initial Setting Manual (PDF)

If you don't have the correct part the Sestos D1S-VR-220 is a much better product for you want to do. I have used them before and the autotune is spot on. It does both heat and cool.

@Drunkas please disregard what I said above. I have found out since the introduction of the C100 update series that the action is now selectable in the software setup setting SL6. Sorry if I steered you wrong there as I have only used the older C100 controllers which you had to order them as direct acting or reverse acting. Also spoke to a guy at FM Franklin who does distilling and uses these on his boiler. He is more than willing to help on the setup of the C100 controllers. He suggested using a SLH setting of 150 and a SLL setting of 0 if using PID control which I assume you will be.

Once again sorry mate.

• Rex C100 can be set for heat and cool, they come set for heat and set for K type thermocouple, you have to go into the menu to set alternative settings.

OD

• @olddog said: Rex C100 can be set for heat and cool, they come set for heat and set for K type thermocouple, you have to go into the menu to set alternative settings.

OD

Thanks olddog, I just found that out. I used to use the genuine RKC stuff but haven't for many years. Back then you had to order the action you wanted, I didn't know they had changed them. They still list them under the old part numbers though which is very confusing. Very sorry guys.

• The only thing you have to be sure of, is that it is a voltage output model to drive the SSR, if you get the one with relay output you have to fit a low voltage power supply through the relay to achieve the same result.

OD

• edited March 2014

The manual from the Franklin site is the old version, the current manual is simpler and a lot easier to understand. The most complicated and confusing manual I have found is the Auber manual, some folks rave about these, but I have found that they perform no better than others. The Aubers are more expensive, yet still made in China.

OD

• edited March 2014

@olddog said: The manual from the Franklin site is the old version, the current manual is simpler and a lot easier to understand. The most complicated and confusing manual I have found is the Auber manual, some folks rave about these, but I have found that they perform no better than others. The Aubers are more expensive, yet still made in China.

OD

OD, can you point me to the new user manual for the C100. Thanks.

• Pm me your email address, I will send you a copy

OD