StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Spending more Money

edited February 2015 in General

This is what happens when I see a sale notice... I've just gone and bought one of the Milk Can boilers.... :-O Where will it all end??? I'll have to wait for a sale on the columns now... :))

I do have 2 x 23L of a lentil wash near finished, but I don't think I can wait for a drink... I'll have to run the T500 for the last time.. :-??

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom

Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate

Comments

• :-h Bye bye T500 & welcome shiny new 50L Milk Can Boiler! You are definitely going to like it, it just is the logical step up from a T500. Give it the proper element and it's so much more powerful. Your parcel has already been picked up, so it only can be a couple of days, online tracking from your customer account will show. Have fun! :)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• @IceFever - Lentil Wash? Recipe please! Didn't think that there's a lot of fermentables in lentils...

• Don't talk about spending money. I had to replace a pair of speakers yesterday. :((

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited February 2015

Recipe for the Lentil wash comes from the UK forum thanks to Aidanmac.....hope he doesn't mind.

Lentil Wash

Postby aidanmac » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:00 pm

This recipe may surprise some but I can absolutely guarantee consistent fermentation to produce a good neutral at minimal cost.

Ingredients:

21 L water
    5.5 kg Sugar
    400 g Red Lentils.
     50 g Allinsons Bread Yeast

Method:

Put the Red Lentils into a bowl and add 2lt boiling water then leave to soak for 30 mins while getting the rest of the wash ready.

Heat the balance of the water to 35C then add to the fermenter along with the sugar. Stir until all sugar is dissolved.

Take SG reading.

Once the Lentils have had a good soak for 30 minutes, give them a good stir and add the lot, water and all, to the fermenter.

Check that the starting pH is approx 5.2 and adjust with Citric Acid if necessary.

Aerate the wash with a stick blender or your usual method.

Temp should be 30C then pitch 50g of dry bread yeast or a 1lt yeast starter if available.

(N.B. If using a Yeast Starter it is not necessary to aerate)

After 24 hours the wash has a thick Krausen should have formed to protect the wash. Keep the ferment at 30oC throughout and it should finish in 6 days. If left for a further 3 days in a cold location it will almost clear enough to run without any help.

Many thanks and credit due to Scarecrow who helped me with this recipe.

It's a great wash give it a try....when I first heard of it I thought no way but hey give it a go, what had I to loose. I'm glad I did it's mine and others main wash at the moment.

• @punkin said: Don't talk about spending money. I had to replace a pair of speakers yesterday. :((

Knowing the cost of todays speakers I can believe it.

• @Icefever said: Knowing the cost of todays speakers I can believe it.

Wasn't too bad, just bad timing really.

Thankfully it wasn't mains, but i got a centre Klipsch Reference (RC52) and a rear Reference (RC41) with a floor stock subwoofer for just over a grand so i did pretty well for aussie prices (twice what they are paying in the states).

Really worried that the RC52 will mess with my appreciation of my Aaron floorstanders and create an itch for new mains. :)]

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Really worried that the RC52 will mess with my appreciation of my Aaron floorstanders and create an itch for new mains. :)]

Nice to see some other Klipsch guys here. I have a pair of RF-83's and an RC-64 in my living room.

• Nice.

• There is no end to it @Icefever. The instant your StillDragon shipment arrives we announce the next Best Thing. The game is rigged :)>-

• @Lloyd said: There is no end to it Icefever. The instant your StillDragon shipment arrives we announce the next Best Thing. The game is rigged :)>-

I know this is the 2nd order in less than a month... :((

• @Icefever said: I know this is the 2nd order in less than a month... :((

That's nothing, really, wait till the obsession kicks in & you keep ordering every other day! :D

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @Moonshine said: That's nothing, really, wait till the obsession kicks in & you keep ordering every other day! :D

I can see me walking with a permanent limp.....courtesy of my loving wife... ;))

• Gin, gin, gin, gin,

Gin, gin, gin, gin...

I been holdin' up the picture of that gin basket with one hand since last April. Finally sent Larry the order for it.

There may always be a next best thing, but one thing's for certain, the pieces you got hold their value!

What do you suppose an original copper bubble ball is worth these days?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Can't imagine what you are talking about, Larry had loads of GB4s when I visited him and we sent him many more after I returned to China. Is he really out of them?

An original Bubble Ball sold for countless millions of dollars, even I don't have one. Well, the last known Bubble Ball actually sold for only a few hundred dollars but its now irreplaceable and priceless. Whoever has it is setting on a treasure of untold wealth.

• It's me not Larry. I've been out with my Flexible Flyer collecting soda bottles in the neighborhood, and saving my allowance since last April. My penny jar is finally full enough!

• edited February 2015

The last known bubbleball was publicly auctioned off for over three hundred dollars and i personally handed the cash as a free donation to someone who insists we never did anything for him :))

• @Lloyd said: Whoever has it is setting on a treasure of untold wealth...

:D

• @Moonshine said: That's nothing, really, wait till the obsession kicks in & you keep ordering every other day! :D

Now you tell me.... :)) well that' s another order put in and on it's way....where will this all end??? :((

• End? There IS No End. Modular means you can ALWAYS put something else on your still.

My Baby Dragon was absolutely perfect yesterday but based on an idea from someone here it got another doodad today (working towards a semi-automated controller thing).
    It was also perfect last week and the week before that but did it get more STUFF? Yes it did.

Did it positively, absolutely need the extra STUFF? Does it run better or produce better booze? No, it does not.
    The only justification is that if, say, basket weaving was my hobby then I'd have a HUGE assortment of basket weaving tools and STUFF.

On bended knee I thank the stars that basket weaving is not my hobby - unless I could trade baskets for fine booze.

• My Carter head is in the air!

• edited February 2015

Now I need to mail order some of the more arcane botanicals. Juniper, coriander and citrus peel are available locally. (I can see my herb garden is going to have a gin section in the not so distant future. I love living in the tropics!)

• My speakers should arrive today. Yippee.

• My Carter head is here! Waaahoooo! Yeah baby! Have decided to call her Joelle, after Joelle Carter who plays Ava Crowder on the TV show Justified. She is about the sexiest woman on TV these days IMHO.

So tomorrow I'm going to run some juniper berries, coriander seeds, and try making a hop gin with some German Hallertauer Hersbrucker hops.

Thank you @Smaug! Your customer service is top shelf all the way, and greatly appreciated!

Spotted your fingerprints too @Lloyd. I will cherish them right where they are forever! :D

• @Kapea +1 for pics ++1 for videos

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• I'll see what I can do tomorrow. She is a beauty!

• edited February 2015

Spending $$$ on SD gear is the right thing to do, it will give joy for a long time! :-bd

Others spend $$$ on something like a drone, and then... b-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN6KleATq5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECwoYH9tBjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZBAuFApoSs

• Don't let the two empty boxes fool you. They are there to help insure the more fragile baskets survive the journey. The choke washer is being phased out as it has proven to be unnecessary.

Let us all know how your gin turns out!

• edited February 2015

Everything made the trip from China to South Florida and then half way back to China in great shape! The packing was well done. I'm running all of my new "silver things" through the dishwasher (no soap) this morning to clean them up before assembly.

The wind is blowing something fierce here this morning. If it doesn't die down a bit, I may have to postpone my ginmaking until tomorrow. I run outside on a propane-fired boiler.

The choke washer is kinda cute. I reminds me of tits on a boar hog... ;)

• Don't toss the choke washer away too quickly @Kapea.
    There was chatter about using it with a SD downcomer under the GB4 housing as an auto-drain.
    Haven't seen it done yet but it might be kinda cool.

• edited February 2015

I'm not understanding. Replace the 3/4" ball valve drain with a bubble cap downcomer somehow?