StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Ethanol Fireplace, anyone?

I looked on Google, and there are quote a few, seems like a fun use for disposal of fores... anyone have input? (outside fire pit use)

Tagged:

Comments

• I have a big kero heater in the shed i was running on ethanol. The trouble i had was the flame was invisible and it couldn't be turned down enough to douse it. You'd think it was out and get up next day to a warm shed.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin perhaps you need glasses? =))

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• I have glasses. Full ones.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• To change the colour of the flame do a Google search on pyrotechnics. Changing the colour could be as simple as adding a minute amount of any of the following to your fuel ethanol storage:

Orange = Calcium Carbonate
    Yellow = Sodium chloride or sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate
    Blue   = Copper sulphate
    Red    = Strontium chloride
    Purple = Red + Blue
    Green  = too toxic to mention

Cheers,

Mech.

• Great. I just need to add strontium chloride to my grocery list.

• Yeah, that red one is a little harder to come by, I almost didn't bother to list it.

But you can pick it up pretty cheap on eBay.

• edited January 2015

Sodium chloride = table salt

Sodium bicarbonate = baking soda

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• howdy folks.. I am planning a big burn of a tree pile out in my pasture as soon as they allow me outa this damn cast coverin' my rhand and halfway up my arm... Kind of a fire pit, but Texas style (10 meters long and about 2 meters wide). It's what's left after they dug out my old pond to make a new one (half acre - 25 feet deep coolant tank - And - It's full too! ;) )

I have been sitting on back porch sippin' oaked and dreaming up ways to "detonate" that pile - I am after what one might call a "Comet Strike" effect.. I have about a quart or two of fores, and a half gallon of heads...I was gonna combine with diesel and use a sprayer to evenly soak the pile.... then use Sonic Boom canister to allow remote detonation - that is, sit back on the porch and drill 5.65mm rounds(Ar15) into the pile until I hit that canister... Now, I can color co-ordinate for the entertainment of the local volunteer FD ;)

Just_the_Pile.jpg
    800 x 371 - 49K

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• @DistilliTrak, looks nice, and when we don't hear from you anymore, we will know, what happened :))

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• @Sunshine said: DistilliTrak, looks nice, and when we don't hear from you anymore, we will know, what happened :))

I'm surprised u didn't ask how I got in that cast in the first place ;)

• feel free to tell me ;)

• Aaaahhh, another 'Hold my beer and watch this!' moment. :ar!

• edited January 2015

I happened to find some video of Distillitrak lighting up his grill:

The Simpsons Grilling @ Hulu

Remark by @Moonshine: Hulu is not accessible from outside the United States!

• Always funny till someone looses a finger. :))

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• U guys have convinced me.. It shall be a utube moment ;)

• Thanks! I'm looking forward to watching this one :)

• edited February 2015

@Sunshine said: feel free to tell me ;)

It wasn't from operations in the plant :) Old age, too many years writing code and lofting bush hogs/augers/tillers/etc onto three point hitches and such.... rthumb socket just collapsed one day in Dec '14... I've been "casted' e'er since... I did manage to run off my last 3 SF washes jes before I got cut/casted.. hence the fores/heads for the "party" ;)

• @DistilliTrak: I need a translator for your language :)) 8-}

• @Sunshine - N'er read any Mark Twain - Huck Finn, an such?

• I am Austrian, I speak German. I read mostly English books, but Mark Twain was not on my book list yet (But I have read Gone with the Wind about 20 times - does that count? :)) )

• edited February 2015

It's slurring of words, or elimination of perceived "unnecessary" letters in words, and a general slanging of the entire statement. Twain's stories about two young boys on the Mississippi river in the state of Missouri is a classic here in the colonies. These boys had what we would call crude school educations and the speech of Huck Finn illustrates it. It was the mid 1800's when these two books were set.

An excellent read, but you will find yourself "scratchin' yer noggin' cipherin' the meanin's" ;)

• Not so much head scratchin' if'n you was raised up in the South. ;)

• @DT - elimination of letters does not exist in the German language. Think about Donaudampfschiffahrtkapitänspatent being a real word and then think about elimination ;)

• edited February 2015

Capture.jpg
    800 x 162 - 21K
  • Not sure how much of this relates to ethanol fireplaces.
    BUT having, and for the most part successfully, deciphered many, many posts from Australians over the years I still can't quite watch a movie made in Australia for Australians without getting completely lost.

• edited February 2015

Almost as bad as Hawaiian pidgin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zyplVPJuF4

• To hop back on topic just slightly, I found a few sites out there such as this one which show how to make the fuel ethanol in to a gel for use in many of these fire place designs. I am planning on making some calcium acetate tonight and seeing how that works as a gelling agent

• edited February 2015

@Unsensibel said: DT - elimination of letters does not exist in the German language. Think about Donaudampfschiffahrtkapitänspatent being a real word and then think about elimination ;)

I understand completely. My heritage is German, and my father was always very annoyed when I spoke like that growing up.

@Kapea - Frikin hilarious!

The Ethanol Gel - Is that like sterno? Looks similar to it. I am wondering how that'd fit into the regs for the ethanol producers here. I'll be watching @brewsmith to see how that works out..

• edited February 2015

Lunch yesterday was at the famous Loma Rice Noodle restaurant. A tad spicy but absolutely wonderful on a cold day.

Many restaurants here use a chunk of solid fuel. More yellow in this picture than the normal bluish flame.

lunch.jpg
    800 x 600 - 79K
    lunch fuel.jpg
    600 x 800 - 72K