StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Stirrer, not Agitator...

13»

Comments

• That and distilling with minimal to no solids.

Could use an HP clamp IMO.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited February 2016

Usually they have small foldable impellers - each mounted on a single bolt - they hang down, but when you spin up, they extend out. They usually sell for upwards of $2k or more. Way cheaper to just spec the boiler with a full-size XP agitator.

• edited February 2016

This would be a killer deal if it had a vapor seal.

LIGHTNIN G SERIES MIXER WITH SPEED CONTROLLER @ eBay

• @grim said: Usually they have small foldable impellers - each mounted on a single bolt - they hang down, but when you spin up, they extend out. They usually sell for upwards of $2k or more. Way cheaper to just spec the boiler with a full-size XP agitator.

Agree'd.

XP agitator adds so little to the aggregate cost of the kettle.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• don't want to post a link to where I saw it on here, google this: Electric Variable speed agitator

• @CothermanDistilling said: don't want to post a link to where I saw it on here, google this: Electric Variable speed agitator

LOL! I saw it too before and it's on my to-do list after getting everything assembled. Let's see if you get a better pricing

• edited February 2016

Honestly, for the money, you'd be better off investing that money towards a positive displacement lobe pump that can withstand the heat - and potentially use that to agitate on start-up.

Call me a naysayer and a skeptic, but that's a lot of money to spend on marginal performance. Maybe it works great, who knows.

My 1000l boiler has a 3 horsepower 3 phase XP motor, with a gear reduction down to 50rpm, and an impeller with a span of about 24". This agitator works great, it's also more than 100x the power.

• Guy called me, sending me a quote with options, gave me permission to share it here...

• Or, at least spec a 4" or 6" Tc on 3mm to bolt a larger unit on like a Gast air motor.

• He has air motor options, I declined as I don't think I have the 80cfm@70PSI... He said they default to a C-Face motor if you want to get a non XP then scrounge a eBay XP motor... I think my quote is coming with a 3-phase motor and single phase input VFD.

He said that one in the pic is a 1/10HP, hw will quote me a 1/5-1/2HP

• edited February 2016

I have an extra single phase vfd - nice unit 4x splashproof and 1.5hp - requires a 20 amp line. More than you need but it'll run smaller 3 phase motors with ease. Let me know.

• @CothermanDistilling said: I declined as I don't think I have the 80cfm@70PSI...

Seems fairly easy to get with an oil compressor. I've been using oil less myself at a lower cfm, but I've been wondering if it really matters.

• edited February 2016

You don't need to run an air motor full out, think of it as variable speed - just like a double diaphragm pump. Run it as fast as you need to run it. Imagine that your PSI is directly related to torque, and the CFM is directly related to rotation speed. There are minimums based on the valving which might be a problem if you are using a significantly oversized air motor. A thicker grain-in mash is going to require more psi than an all-liquid wash. You need to check - sometimes the manufacturer specs the median value (middle of the road), but more often they specify the maximums.

• You better grab that VFD before it disappears, I bet you get quoted triple that, or more.

• well, I looked at it, then of course, I started looking at the nema 4x versions...

• OK, got the quote and info.

That one in the pic is not documented below, but they will sell for $1300, 1/20th HP, dc motor, 18" shaft is the longest, brushes will wear out with heavy use.. very popular with brewers he says.

Attached are docs and quote , $2100 for standard motor, $2800 for stainless..

He also said 3" TC is standard(no price increase), 4" maybe $100 more

Lots of propeller choices....

pdf
    pdf
    Cirrus Series CutSheet.pdf
    PDF
    PDF
    FusionPure-PHD-FL - Fusion Pure HD Direct Drive Mixer with Electric Motor - Sales Drawing.PDF
    pdf
    pdf
    Impeller Styles CutSheet.pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    SALES-PD-#F-# FUSION PRO ELECTRIC DIRECT DRIVE CLOSED TANK.pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    Pro Series CutSheet.pdf
    agitator quote.png
    778 x 627 - 68K
  • Awesome!
    Thanks for compiling & sharing. Definitifely saved for later use...

• Any proc or cons of having this Stainless Steel High Temp Transfer Pump - Wort Hog as wash re-circulation pump? Connecting it from bottom drain, so it will naturally self fill-in and drain to the tom, to one of 2" TC (with proper accessories)? Stainless steel head, 7 GPM (for 100 gallons kettle), up to 230F operation temperature. 1/2" in and out connections.

Stainless Steel High Temp Transfer Pump - Wort Hog @ The Home Brewery

Thanks

wort_hog.jpg
    500 x 316 - 17K
  • @CothermanDistilling has probably done the most work around using pumps for kettle agitation.

• @MountainDweller said: Any proc or cons of having this Stainless Steel High Temp Transfer Pump - Wort Hog as wash re-circulation pump?

FWIW, I have three of those. They are great little pumps and can attach to almost anything without mounting. So quiet, its hard to tell if they're even running.