What configuration is ideal for 160 lpa per day?

What configuration (boiler volume and column set up) of StillDragon would you recommend to produce 160 lpa with the following conditions: 10% abv mash, medium rum distillate, 8-12 hours daily operation, consider strip and spirit runs using the same equipment, molasses fermentation. Can I manage this using electrical heating?

Tagged:

Comments

• edited January 2015

I guess @dickbarba means "liter pure alcohol".

As a short reminder: It's StillDragon without space and S + D in capital letters. Wording is important for us, because written differently it could be a video game, rock band or roller coaster!

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Hi Dick, A medium bodied rum can mean different things to different people.

If you strip first I would say a two plate system may very well get you where you want to be. Remember that a higher reflux ratio can give you a suprisingly higher abv though it will compromise your collection speed. If your speed is slower than what you need simply add a plate to your line up.

The best part of the SD system in this instance is that if you need higher quality separation,,, you can easily add more plates to the two plater.

More questions please.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @grim said: Lpa?

Lpa = liters of pure (anhydrous) alcohol, aka 200 proof. Since alcohol flow varies in strength along the process, I use this term to mean the total alcohol recovery converted to 200 proof (100 GL).

I will reformulate my question: Let´s say I have 1800 liters of mash (fermented molasses in this case) at 10% abv, and say I wish to recover around 90% through the stripping run in one shift (8-12 hours), can I use a 2,000 lt boiler and do the job in one step? How long would it take for a 2,000 lt boiler and a 8" column with two plates to recover around 160 lpa?

• 200 proof?

• Dick the "lpa" term is somewhat confusing as it is not a term we use.

What purity/abv do you wish to collect at? Alcohol by volume (abv) is represented as a (%) percent of alcohol within a given volume. Proof is established by multiplying the abv times 2.

Some like to collect as close to barrel strength (50% to 60% abv) as possible. Others prefer to collect at a higher level of purity for a cleaner product.

With 2 plates you should be able to collect at 60% abv to 70%abv for the duration of your run. One or two more plates should allow you to run faster without compromising your abv.

Depending on your heat input you should be able to collect at about 15 to 20 liters per hour with an 8" column.

• @dickbarba - to me it sounds like you've already answered your question: If you have 1800l wash, then you would have to get a still to match that size. Don't know how far the electrical heating is getting you at that saize though...

• The question should be, what gear do I need to produce "x" Litres of ethanol at "x" % abv?

Ask that question, you'll get an answer.