Fermenter out of a keg

I was wondering if anyone uses a keg for a fermentor? I have happened across a few from a brewery that went under. I have seen a design that uses the sankey cap that has a racking arm through a swage fitting and you apply air to remove the wash. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Heavy, awkward, hard to clean?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I was thinking of using it upside down and using the sankey as a drain and welding a 4" ferrule on the top for easy cleaning and access. I was also thinking of installing a small element due to it is pretty cold up here and I will need to have a heat source to maintain my mash temps. Has anyone used a PID to control the mash temp?

• edited January 2015

I prop yeast in a half barrel keg.

Immersion element in the fermenter or mash tun? Either way it will generate a significant amount of heat and will likely burn the mash or kill any localized yeast.

• edited January 2015

STC-1000 Temperature Controllers @ eBay

Designed for exactly what you want to do and cheap as all fuck, the STC1000. Get the heat and cool model and mind the amp output, some are rated higher than others. I have seen them in 16amp.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I tend to ferment in 150 to 220 litre poly drums. The extra capacity is good for foam issues. Light and easy to clean and store when empty.

• Sabco makes one, they are stupidly and needlessly expensive...

you want larger than 4" in my opinion, but it would work.... I have a 6" one (upside down as you mention) I spent a solid week prepping, welding, and grinding... will not do again without some automated system... would be nice to have them made that way.... Hmmm... I also seem to remember someone asking for us to get a bunch of beer kegs with 6-8" tc rings on them so they could be used as fermenters, bright tanks, still boilers, serving tanks, etc....