KISS....Wood..Oak..Flavour...

edited January 2015 in General

Talked to a fella today he said

Boil water add oak simmer how long depends on your taste

add to high % booze to get down to 40%

so boil approx 3lts water with wood for he said 4 minutes and add to 2 lt 94% booze and you are done

?????????????????????????

:bz :bz

Comments

• edited January 2015

General conscientious is you want less oak and more time

I range from 1 domino to 7grams of oak per litre depending on how long Im aiming for at between 63-65%

I am starting to get product that is coming up on 3months and tbh wont be touching it for another 9

I had a 90 old makers mark style Modified CFW which I thought was pretty good and that was 1 domino per litre but I think I should have left it longer

Starting to think some of the stuff I have aging is a little headsy and I should have done better cuts :s

Really need to make more and get it aging but i can't atm due to my current situation :(

• Not saying Old Fellow is wrong but I never heard of such a thing.
    We usually add the white dog to the charred wood, but not to boiled water and wood.
    Might be like nuking in a microwave oven? Unorthodox but maybe not wrong?

Let us know how it works out for you. I don't see it as wrong, just profoundly different than anything I've ever done.

• boiled some wood

it smells like wood

• The complexity of oaking seems best when developed over time. When I first oaked my rum it took on a significant woody taste. That same rum 2 months now has no woodiness. I guess what I am saying is it would probably work but I can't see it cutting down the time as the oak still needs to mingle with the spirit to do its magic. I am a noob so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

• Yeah, there is that @vooharmy. The spirit has vastly different flavor depending on the strength of the spirit that is aged on oak. Some prefer higher than 65% while some prefer a lower %.
    So extracting the "flavor" from the wood by boiling it in water is contrary to what I know but I'm willing to listen to others as they experiment by thinking 'out of the box'.

We've seen microwaving, ultrasonic bath and other ideas that were poo-pooed as heresy just a few years ago that are accepted now.

For my brown spirits I could see boiling an oak domino with 1/2 a vanilla pod (and 11 other secret herbs and spices) as a kick-starter and enhancer to aging.

In 5 years it could become known as the Starkid method (gonna need a snappier name for that to catch on 8-| ).

A hundred years ago they poked pineapple and spices into Rum barrels to get better tasting booze.

• @starkid101 said: boiled some wood

it smells like wood

That's exactly what i knew would happen. You will get the wood flavour of sucking on a paddle pop stick without the vanilla, maple and smokey complexity.

At least now you know that while people often come out with gems, sometimes it's just crap.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I was to lazy to clean pots last night,so now 15 hours later the little oak squares made from a wine barrel smell sugar surpy

the doms are still wood but not strong

think I ieave em in pot and see what happens

:bz :bz