StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Another New Intro

2»

Comments

• edited March 2015

Opps been sipping again..

500 ml section above glass is packed with coarse scoria 15 kg bag from Brunnings for $7.00, I sorted into small bits and washed really well :bz

:bz

Thanks again @Lloyd and @punkin and SD for a great still ^:)^

1.jpg
    800 x 449 - 122K
    2.jpg
    800 x 449 - 135K
  • On a good day around here I can catch scoria as it cools falling from the sky. I have zero desire to use it in a still. The scoria chemical analyses provided online are very general. Scoria chemical composition can vary greatly over time within a single volcanic vent. Who knows what you are getting when you buy landscaping lava from a garden shop?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• So what are most of you guys using to stuff those columns?

• i am using Scoria... hammered to thumbnail to little finger nail size... packed in as tight as i can... i only used the hollow scoria pieces not any of the solid ones...

Happy Stillin,

FS

• Stainless steel pot scrubbers. Available at the local restaurant supply store @ $8.99/dozen. I have 48" of 2" column that have been packed with the same scrubbers for 5+ years. A recent inspection of them shows no corrosion, deposition, or deterioration.

• It's the same cat just skinned a different way... and true ordering the pot scrubbies in is not an expensive thing... or ordering rolls of ss wool in a medium grade is cost effective as well...

• thanks god, the boy did not find your booze!

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• He is really cute! :)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited March 2015

@Sunshine said: He is really cute! :)

Can't tell if he's laughing with jeux de vie, or just about to start crying cause he's busted.

+1 on really cute either way! Enjoy it while it lasts @starkid101. They stay that age for about 15 minutes.

Save that picture to blackmail him with when he's a teenager. Threatening to post it to Facebook works wonders when they get that teen attitude going on and don't want to cooperate. :))

• grandson guys yer he's cute allrite ,looks just like me. B-) .

finished mixing some of my apricot booze tonite , taste is excellent, will take some to work tomorrow for taste testing.

scoria was washed and sanitised before using ,looked clean and seemed to work good .

thanks for comments guys.

cheers starkid

• edited April 2015

hi everyone grape harvest here so no time for any brewing, BUT as I sit here after another night shift supping a apricot schnapps I made, and it is good. shame we can't sample on line .

any way fairy god mother visited and left this..

yes 30 lts fresh grape juice ,yum I also have a packet of cy17 premium wine yeast..

juice in my fermenter fridge to warm up and awaiting advice from my SD friends .

also have 60 lt bucket of good apples waiting for my attention any advise on this also appreciated .. thanks guys .

1.jpg
    800 x 449 - 33K
    2.jpg
    449 x 800 - 50K