StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

An introduction

G'day every one, I have been lurking on here for a little while researching as much as I can and I'm about to send punkin some money so I thought I would introduce my self.

I have been home brewing for over ten years but nothing fancy after trying out the early days of AG I went back to fancy yeast and extract beers and ciders.

I have also been extensively researching the commercial range of distillate and have a fond affinity for whisky and mainly scotch (so maybe I'll give AG a try again) but I will definitely be giving gin a run when I can get a carter head.

When they are back in stock I will be after a baby dragon ace of hearts on a 50 milk can as while I know a mate with a bonded area I think I should do one or two runs before going pro ;) (jokes)

When I'm up and running and past beginner status it would be good to bounce some ideas of of other locals (South Australia), punkin hinted there might be a few around but I understand why people prefer thier privacy in this hobby.

Comments

• Welcome Ginger.

Sounds like you have a plan.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Thanks smaug, having to wait a while to get through christmas and the holidays gave me a good amount of time to read and plan.

• edited December 2014

Welcome mate.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Welcome Ginger Im in SA as well so if I can help in any way just yell out

• Thanks for the welcome guys.

Punkin what's the eta on your next shipment of baby dragons?

Mechwarrior, that has to be one of the all time best games I have played on the PC ( I used to spec out one of the mechs with only four high power lazors that would over heat but anhialate any other mech at max distance with one shot)

Cheers drunkas, as I said I'll have a crack at making my own mistakes for a while then I might send you a message.

• edited December 2014

@Ginger said: Punkin what's the eta on your next shipment of baby dragons?

Should be about 3 to 4 weeks. The crates were loaded onto the ship yesterday.

• @Ginger said: Mechwarrior, that has to be one of the all time best games I have played on the PC ( I used to spec out one of the mechs with only four high power lazors that would over heat but anhialate any other mech at max distance with one shot)

:)

My favourite was to equip a bunch of PPC and alpha strike; single shot would destroy most things if you hit...if you missed the sudden heat load would shut you down :D Great series of games.

Great bunch of guys and gals in here, you've found a hobby for life.

Cheers,

Mech.

• That was a good read as I wondered what @TheMechWarrior's handle referred to. And now I know :D

Pardon me @Ginger for not saying Welcome! I'm so glad you have joined the party.

Let us know how your new commercial distillery, based on The Baby Dragon - Ace of Hearts, pans out for you (joke).

Good gin, for me, is really hard to make because I don't have access to the fresh botanicals. If you do then please post your results.

• Your forgiven @Lloyd, I can claim super small boutique runs as my point of difference.

I'm already hunting around for local botanicals as I'm sure I can find some good stuff in the markets around here. I was at the cricket the other week and run into some barley farmers but unfortunatly their minimum order was a bit high so I'll keep searching.

• It'll be closer to the 4 weeks i'd say mate as with 9cbm of fittings it's going to take me a few days to reach the bottom of the last crate, where no doubt at all i'll find the cartons for the Ace of Hearts that are on backorder. :))

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• how do i get on back order @punkin?

also going back to a past post on another intro forum threads one where else. Is there any modifications i should consider?

i keep tossing around the idea of using the boiler as some part or if i can the single vessel in a BIAB setup.

I like electronics and will most likely move towards a controller box (hopefully your SD version is progressing) so do i need to consider anything for the thermometers?

• @Ginger said: how do i get on back order punkin?

also going back to a past post on another intro forum threads one where else. Is there any modifications i should consider?

i keep tossing around the idea of using the boiler as some part or if i can the single vessel in a BIAB setup.

I like electronics and will most likely move towards a controller box (hopefully your SD version is progressing) so do i need to consider anything for the thermometers?

Hey Ginger are you going for a milkcan or a HBS style boiler with your Baby dragon?

I have done a Biab brew with my Milkcan with mixed results (6kg and probably needed to be crushed finer)

The HBS should be easy for BIAB with the concealed element I am sure you could hook up a pid and a raspberry pie setup for temp control and step mashing etc etc

• I was planing on the milk can @Clickeral, I have been toying around with a false bottom setup, or drop in perferated basket but with a handful of less than successfull AG brews under my belt I thought I would see if anyone had some pointers or can shoot down my ideas (I'm not incredibly fussed about efficency, just want to play around with recipes)

• If it's recipes you want I'd suggest you get your hands on "Alt Whiskies"

• I have setup a single click for preorder Baby dragons (and also one for Gingers unit) here;

http://www.stilldragon.com.au/preorder-ace-of-hearts-standard/

People will have to choose bank deposit in order to leave a deposit to secure their preorder. Please email me the details to punkin@stilldragon.com .

As far as mashing in the milk can i don't think it's suited. It is however suited to heating the strike water before adding to an esky mash tun. These are really simple to make by adding a little stainless braid to the inside of a model that has a suitable tap. Good thing is that you can still use it as an esky (cooler for those in the states). 3v or 2v really is pretty easy.

• @Ginger said: I was planing on the milk can Clickeral, I have been toying around with a false bottom setup, or drop in perferated basket but with a handful of less than successfull AG brews under my belt I thought I would see if anyone had some pointers or can shoot down my ideas (I'm not incredibly fussed about efficency, just want to play around with recipes)

A mesh basket would probably work better then a false bottom due to the height of the elements however I am not sure if you would get one big enough in, you also need to insulate your milk can so it holds temp

@punkin said: I have setup a single click for preorder Baby dragons (and also one for Gingers unit) here;

http://www.stilldragon.com.au/preorder-ace-of-hearts-standard/

People will have to choose bank deposit in order to leave a deposit to secure their preorder. Please email me the details to punkin@stilldragon.com .

As far as mashing in the milk can i don't think it's suited. It is however suited to heating the strike water before adding to an esky mash tun. These are really simple to make by adding a little stainless braid to the inside of a model that has a suitable tap. Good thing is that you can still use it as an esky (cooler for those in the states). 3v or 2v really is pretty easy.

This is what I have now done I heat my strike water in my milk can to 100C and then put it into my esy and cool it down to required temp

One of the things I would love the Milkcan to have is a volume level and a thermowell installed on the side I do have a thermowell on the tap but it doesn't give me an accurate temp I may have to add one later

I also need to buy a 5L measuring jug but they are not easy to find :s

• @Clickeral said:

I also need to buy a 5L measuring jug but they are not easy to find :s

There are heaps around, just need to find the right places.

Try a farm or dairy type supply joint, they use them for milk feed and chemical measuring, decent plastic, readable good marking scale, and can pour without it spilling everywhere. Can get much bigger than 5lt as well. My local Mitre10 has one or two as well.

I've also seen some in auto supply shops, but they don't appear as suitable, most are not clear but color and the scale is marked on the inside in larger gradients.

fadge

• edited January 2015

Scientific supply joint for glass ones. Although pricey. This is from Livingston catalogue;

glass1.JPG
    800 x 713 - 88K