StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

If money did not matter (and the law too) - what would you like to buy or build from StillDragon?

edited December 2014 in General

Just in case, where one had all the bucks in the world and the laws would permit endless producing of home made spirits: What would your dream equipment from StillDragon look alike?

(Of course, time for the hobby is also no problem the wife is o.k. with a hangar sized shed, because she has her new walk-in closet department in the house currently restocked with all those nice shoes ....) :D B-)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

Tagged:

Comments

• It don't make any diff everything pisses the wife off. I would have 1000L stream jacketd with agitator boiler and an 6 or 8 inch bubble cap with 12 plates so I can make vodka and drop back plates to 3 or 4 for whiskey and brandy.

• Jamaican styled retort system,,,,,,,,SD modular of course.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Hell can't you do that now with SD modular goods, Smaugy?

• @FullySilenced said: Hell can't you do that now with SD modular goods, Smaugy?

With just a few tweeks and a solution for the two retort feeds.

• edited December 2014

For my own personal use?

Maybe too big? OK then...

Maybe too little? OK then...

Ah, just right!

EasyStill.jpg
    360 x 353 - 13K
    ideal personal still.jpg
    400 x 267 - 28K
  • 5 inch 6 plated CD on an insulated jacketed 150 litre boiler. 380 litre baine marie strip boiler?

• 120-240L Boiler (steam generated 15kw) 6inch 6 plate procaps with packed section and a gin setup

Would also get some IBC's or stainless tanks to ferment in

And some big stainless tanks to store product in

Would do single passes for Flavored product over 3-4plates

6Plates and packed section strip and spirit run for a neutral/vodka

• After more consideration about "If money did not matter" I think I'd buy Jeeves a 4" Dash 2 and I'd stay by the poolside on warm and sunny days sipping booze.
    If friends came by and commented on how good the drinks were I'd say, "The butler did it".

• I'd grab the largest boiler that will run on my 240v 3phase shed power, nah make that 2, one for stripping. 1 x stripping rig and 1 x dash to fit.

Oh yea better add in a big fermenter or two.

Chuck another $1000 for the plumber to hook up waste lines.

Too much for the current process, buckets from the shed to the inside dunny and down the sewage it goes.

or just a few more friends to help out ! image

china-drought_1290934i.jpg
    620 x 400 - 87K
  • the new 48" (diameter) Crystal Dragon ;-)

• edited December 2014

What? You didn't hear it was already installed?

process_equipment_2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 91K
  • edited December 2014

I would want a 6 plate 5" still with 4" peepers. Hmmm I can only dream! Oh and if the law doesn't matter I think I'd tap my neighbors power and water :)

• edited December 2014

@vooharmy said: I would want a 6 plate 5" still with 4" peepers. Hmmm I can only dream!

:)) :))

You'reLivingTheDreamPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @grim said: What? You didn't hear it was already installed?

Holy cow @grim !!!...do you have the background story behind that pic?

• I think it's the original prototype for the flux capacitor...

• OK, I changed my mind. I want one of those!

• edited December 2014

That's actually only DN400, so about 16" OD.

Here is who made it.

I don't believe it's a distillation column, but some sort of liquid-liquid fractionation column.

Although looking at the plate configuration, it looks oddly similar to a stripping still plate layout intended to pass solids.

Screw the glass, I want to hear more about the double retort setup. I've never understood it. How is it different from a double thumper setup? Or is that all it is? Larry why not use an 1000-2000l main still with two smaller 120-200l pot belly boilers as the retorts?

• Jamaican style rum still uses 2 thumpers. 1 is charged with diluted "heads" the other with diluted "tails" (they use different terminology) but these are primarily used as flavour modifiers. They do boost ABV but that is secondary. Or so I believe.

• @grim said: That's actually only DN400, so about 16" OD.

Here is who made it.

I don't believe it's a distillation column, but some sort of liquid-liquid fractionation column.

Although looking at the plate configuration, it looks oddly similar to a stripping still plate layout intended to pass solids.

Screw the glass, I want to hear more about the double retort setup. I've never understood it. How is it different from a double thumper setup? Or is that all it is? Larry why not use an 1000-2000l main still with two smaller 120-200l pot belly boilers as the retorts?

Thats all it is Grim.

The trick to the Jamaican style is whats charging the retorts.

Id like to have a kit available to convert our typical kettle set up to a retort system. Maybe that would be too busy looking rather than dedicated retorts?

• Oh I can see that working ;)

Vapour injector via one of the refil ports and conical reducers on the main pot belly boiler openings. All connected up in pot still mode with conical vapour paths. (Unnecessary but it would look nice!)

• edited December 2014

Wonder if you could use a solid bubble tray and make a double retort system out of a column. You really just need a fill port and a J-Tube affixed upwards. Stack 'em Dan-o.

Personally, I'd fill the first retort with ginger beer, and the second with limes, and pull up a lounge chair and a bucket of ice.

• No, if money was no object then Jeeves would hand squeeze limes by the poolside.
    The lazy bastard has little else to do but polish the silver and fetch drinks with little umbrellas in them.

Lord knows he doesn't ever bring the right pair of fluffy slippers.

And getting him to make proper hearts cuts, forget about it! Good help is so hard to find.