StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

It's the End of the Road

edited November 2014 in Introduction

I won't be doing any more builds or taking on new commisions as I am going to have open heart surgery next Thursday, so that's going to be the end of my participation in this hobby.

oD

Comments

• Take care old friend. I hope you get tip-top soon.

• Holly Shit Mike! Everyone I know that has had surgery BTW has felt much better.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Take care of yourself OD,hope ya are better soon! Your absence will felt by many Sir!!!!

It is what you make it!

• Take care and have a speedy recovery. ..

• edited November 2014

It's a doddle Mike. Wait till you see all the 90+ year old ladies in the ward with you up and about on day 2! You'll feel ashamed that you ever worried about it.

It won't put a crease in your lifestyle in any way. I had a triple last November and i feel a million bucks compared to before the surgery.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• You'll be in my thoughts and prayers! Take care if yourself!

• Best Wishes to you OD ... you'll be fine... Get Well Soon...

• Look after yourself OD.

I reckon there's plenty of ways to keep yourself involved in this hobby - after all you gotta do something!

• edited November 2014

You will be right olddog. Dont write yourself off mate. If you get bored, I want a mini controller:) float valve, solenoid, temp control.

• Hope everything goes well! Wishing you a speed recovery.

• Get well, @olddog, such a surgery should not mean the end of the road or this fabulous hobby, but I'm sure the addictive factor will not let you stay away for long. As Tickle said so many times, Moonshine has healing powers for about everything ... best example when Tickle fell off the roof of that shed in the woods onto his truck and broke some ribs, Moonshine fixed it for him, that's what he said ;)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Got that right! My @olddog controller is still under warranty for many, many years.
    If it breaks in 10 years from now I expect you to repair it.
    The only real danger you are facing is being slapped stupid by a pretty nurse.

But seriously, its scary business. I know. They said I shit all over the OR as soon as I got knocked out. I can deny it because one minute I was going into surgery and the next I was waking up and it was all over. A good shit takes longer than that.

Recovery is an iffy arrangement. They want you to not move when you want to move around and to exercise when you absolutely don't want to. My advice is to listen to the professionals but do as you want. The sooner you grab up a pretty nurse and dance her down the hallway the sooner they will kick your ass out of the hospital. Ask me how I know!

I'm sure there's more from you... you created the still that has swept across the world, a hobby sized bubble column. We are counting on that well to bring more ideas.

I am, and many more like me are, forever in your debt.
    God speed, Mike, on your healthy recovery.

• Best wishes for the future, old dog :D

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• edited November 2014

I had a good technique to avoid fear before the surgery: Just think of your life like it was a movie and find a good ending for it: like how the time after the surgery would be, when everything is alright and you enjoy life again. This really helped me to calm down and relax.

Best wishes to you and a good and fast recovery! :)>-

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Best wishes, old dog :)

• Best wishes, I will miss reading your posts. I have learned a lot from you .

• Can't get out of it that easy by the sound of it od lol. My sis just had open heart valve replacement, she's doing great now, said she feels like a new person!, new lease on life!. Good luck mate, will have you in our thoughts and and hope to see you back firing on all cylinders very soon!.

Cheers

• it will be all ok mate them nurse's will have ya up and running in no time. Just hope for your sake there all female.

• Thanks for the kind thoughts I appreciate them, I go into hospital Wednesday evening to be first cab off the rank Thursday morning. I have one artery completely blocked and the other two struggling to keep up, so I am having the triple bypass. I will keep in touch after I come out, but don't expect to be active for a while.

OD

• 100 years ago you'd be stuffed. 30 years ago your chances would be not so good.
    Now-a-days you have damn near a 100% chance of doing the Texas two step yet again.
    All things considered, you probably picked the best time for ticker maintenance.

Give em hell, OD. And if your nurses are pretty please post pictures.

Its not so much the level of anxiety and the sense of mortality as its the need to be with those that you love. In a few days you'll be in recovery and after only a few short weeks you will be A New Man!

The big question is What will you do with your second chance?

I did StillDragon with mine and I stood on your shoulders to do it.

• Good luck OD. Hope to hear from you later.

• All the best @olddog , take all the time you need.

• Good luck man, but you really don't need it. If you can, bring a laptop or tablet into recovery with you. We'll be waiting, and you'll be bored!

• You must have private to get in that quick :D

Like i said, you'll be up and walking the next day. The only thing is the ribs where they wire them up take a long time to stop hurting, but by week three it's manageable. Mine still give me a crack when i cough.

In six weeks you'll be back driving and minor lifting etc. In 3 months you'll be healthier than you are now.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Best wishes @olddog you will be in our thoughts and prayers! Get well soon.
    Hoochie and family.

• Best of luck, my gramps went in for a triple bypass when he was 80. He joined the zipper club and lived another decade before pneumonia got him. I'll say a prayer for you, but know you'll do just fine.

• Anyone heard from OD?

• I am still here waiting, developed a rash from the drugs they prescribed so I have had to wait for it to clear before they would operate. My surgeon is going to contact me next week with a new date to operate.

• The good drugs come AFTER the surgery OD ;)