StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Big Dragon makes it Home

2»

Comments

• edited November 2014

Wow! Sweet picture - you have a drawing of the boiler too? I'd love to have an image of the full setup to include in our township meeting brief on Wednesday. Pleaaase!

Scale looks right, which reminds me, I'm going to need another segment of 4" pipe, no way the parrot is going to extend low enough. Not sure if it makes more sense to add another half or full meter of 4", or to extend the parrot threaded rod and add a 2" section to drop the parrot.

• Larry you got any 4" around?

• Glass Fat Boy.........Do I win the forthcoming naming contest?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Puh,,, had to get my tew cents in before fullysilenced floods you with 250 possibilities. :))

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Holy crap @grim ! that rig looks awesome :-bd

• edited November 2014

grim vs human2.JPG
    800 x 600 - 58K
  • You are an artist! That is just too cool. Thank you!

• @grim eye level parrot seems sensible.

• edited November 2014

Way too heavy to be unsupported, it needs a base to connect it to the ground anyhow.

I picked up a heavy duty stainless table/stand - 3'x2' with the intention of mounting the bottom of the parrot flange to the table directly (with some reinforcing stainless under), and bolt the stand to the floor.

This way I have some way to support the weight, as well as provide a stand for collection containers. Looks like I need at least 2 more feet of pipe to bring it down to 32ish.

The other option now that the new parrot has shown itself, is to put a pillar under the parrot flange, straight down to the floor, and use a hose to connect the collection vessels.

• another idea for a SD product might be some sort of sliding tube for the arm...... maybe a 1.5" tube inside a 2" tube with a teflon compression ring and a nut like the bubble tees have?... picture a motorcycle front fork tube and stanchion...

between rotating a 45 or 90 and this sliding arm, connecting fixed parts of a modular still setup would be a breeze....

• WoW~!! I am blown away, you pro guys have some serious kit! I love the glass above the RC, always wanted to know whats going on up there! Can't wait to see the whole thing assembled in its full glory. Today is the day I finally get my still together, I have had so much work on lately I began to worry I wouldn't be using it until January! Great work mate, its shockingly awesome.

• This is seriously impressive stuff. Are you using heavier threaded rod on the glass column than on the upper glass chamber? I am assuming the vapour path will be suspended, and won't be transferring its weight onto that top glass section.

A prop under the parrot would aid stability for sure, I just assumed you would suspend the vapour path because that is what I have done in the past on much smaller 2" copper stuff. Using yachting screws for fine tuning of the position makes assembly much easier.

• just tell him you want pictures ;-) I know I do!

• @grim Very impressive sir, wished I could have made the trip up to see you and you 12" monster before leaving the east coast. ^:)^

The day you quit learning is the day you start dying!

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

• edited November 2014

Well, it took 8 hours but we removed a 16hp boiler out of the basement of a church and relocated it back to the shop. We broke it into 2 sections, the small side had to be about 700 pounds and the larger side had to have been more than 900, the whole shebang was probably just under 2000. Took 5 guys to get the big side up the stairs. Was installed 14 years ago, only 11,000 hours on the clock, nicer than the one we had. They converted to forced hot air for whatever reason, who knows, boiler looks nearly brand new.

• edited November 2014

@grim there just has to an easier way...

move a big boiler.jpg
    250 x 202 - 7K