StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Homemade Peristaltic Pump

Didn't see any other references so here's a link to a great post:

Cake pan + skateboard wheel + bike brakes = homemade peristaltic pump?? @ HomeBrewTalk

Cheers,

Mech.

Comments

• @TheMechWarrior very cool thanks for posting it. :-c

The day you quit learning is the day you start dying!

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

• Yesterday after reading about the homemade peristaltic pump I placed a bid on eBay and scored this G112239 Watson-Marlow 603S/R High Flow Peristaltic Pump Parts/Repair for 28 USD + shipping This pump delivers at 11 LPM. It said for parts but it actually works it was just missing the safety cover over the pumping mechanism. Others on eBay sell between 700 to 900.

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

• You lucky bastard! ^:)^

• edited November 2014

What's the desire or benefit of using peristaltic here? I'm familiar with these pumps used in dosing applications, where precision metering of very small volume, over large periods of time, is required. But our uses would be very different.

Ability to withstand heat? Pass reasonable solids? Suction?

I would imagine if you were passing any kind of high temperature liquid with included solids, you'd be replacing the peristaltic tubing fairly regularly. Even if you used a larger bore 1/2" ID tube, you'd still be hard pressed to push an 1/8th or 1/16th through without getting it pinched. Even in our use, which was much slower, it was pretty common to be replacing tubing every few weeks. You could tell, it really just started looking like a ribbon and the flow rates dropped to near nil. It's not a problem, but realize you'll want to keep a roll on hand and replace prior to starting. Roller pressure is critical here, too low and you lose suction and volume due to slip by, too high and you wear the hell out of the tubing. Most of the units I've ever used had spring tensioners on the rollers.

You can always find a nice deal on a small stainless/teflon double diaphragm on ebay or the surplus sites, for probably what it would cost to DIY one of these. These can easily handle up to boiling and if you hunt for the right models, they can pass small solids and more viscous mashes. They are also very easy to speed control without anything fancy, just adjust your air pressure. They can pull real suction and generate some surprising output PSI. The only real downsides is that they are noisy, even with the mufflers, and the output will always have pulsation.

I'm familiar with the Masterflex pumps, I've used those before, lots of spare parts available (heads, motors, controllers, rebuild kits, etc). You can usually find them pretty cheap. Check out the ones intended for C-mount motors, you can usually find enough parts to piece together a whole unit for less than you can buy the whole unit.

• Peristaltic is used when you don't want contact between the liquid and the pump.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @grim said: What's the desire or benefit of using peristaltic here? I'm familiar with these pumps used in dosing applications, where precision metering of very small volume, over large periods of time, is required. But our uses would be very different.

Ability to withstand heat? Pass reasonable solids? Suction?

I just appreciate the DYI're ingenuity of building one from nothing, I like building things that shouldn't be just to see if it can be done. If I use the one I picked up it will be likely of transferring azeotrope from on container to another, don't really need it as I have pneumatic pumps, chuggers, pan world all at my disposal. But for 28 bucks it contains a lot of cool parts I can use in of builds.

• Precision metering for a continuous stripping still comes to mind.

• Oh don't get me wrong I love a good diy.

I've been working on a little something something on the side. Volumetric filler made out of some readily available parts. It's amazing how simple those things are. Dosing pump and a high accuracy timer.

• I got interested in precision dosing pumps, because at my farm we have our own water purification system. The high pressure dosing pump sprays chlorine into the reservoir, but only when the pump is filling the reservoir. Well Pump runs at 20 gallons a minute and I set the dose to get the right amount of chlorine.

The pumps themselves are expensive (LMI Milton $600-800). A used pump off ebay is cheap. The kits to rebuild one are cheap. I once got five pumps for $100usd, a rebuild kit for $28usd, finished pump $48usd. I have high pressure dosing pumps for life.

Each unit is specific to volume and PSI, but some can be converted by changing the rebuild kit.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• edited November 2014

That's the one i posted over on artisan earlier.

Build Your Own Peristaltic Pump @ AD

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand