StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

New SD User here with Problem of Colouring on Gin Production

I've recently set up a still with a ton of awesome SD parts. However when making our gin via cold maceration then vapour infusion we're getting a fair amount of colour after the condensing. We took the dephlegmator out as it wasn't really neccessary and added in another bubble plate. The vapour before it hits the basket is clear but after hitting the gin basket we have a yellowy brown gin...which before we made the alterations was brown like tea.

How do we avoid the colouring?

Ive attached a photo of the set up.

eccentric.jpg
600 x 803 - 60K

Comments

• How often are you draining the gin basket of any condensate build up? If your plates are being loaded, and you aren't draining, could it be that you are loading your plates with that heavy botanical tea? With no dephlegmator, it's really the only option for what's happening.

I suspect this would give you a very oil heavy distillate. Drip some water, how easily do you get a louche?

• You could take out the plate cartridge and just use a piece of 2" tc pipe in it's place. (use the 4x2 reducer to get down first.

This will show if the plates are a problem, but it will also save your plates and tees from getting ginned up.

The beauty of modular.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• make a p-trap with a piece of hose, 3/4" TC 90's, or 1/2" copper u-tubes... you should just need an inch or so of a trap..

• only time I got coloured output was before I got the GB4 & put a basket in the downward vapour path. So it you are running hard my guess is you are pushing coloured condensate through the basket into your output.

Why are you using plates? Surely not to increase ABV? I'd macerate at your desired finished ABV then run with no plates either as punkin says by replacing the section of plates with a straight piece or remove the plates from between each tee.

• edited November 2014

I would completely rectify (including cuts) then dilute the forthcoming (Clean) kettle charge to render a barrel strength distillate after the vapor mingles with your botanicals,,,,is the way I would do it.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• On a straight pot still run it should be +- 23% to get a 65% product after cuts in my experience.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited November 2014

I had a similar issue once because I did put too much herbs and it foamed and the foam found its way down the condenser. On that run I reduced the power to solve it and for later runs I reduced the amount of herbs and things got back to normal.

Maybe something similar (foaming) happening here?

Cheers.

• Yep, while I have yet to do a gin run, the only time I have had yellow colored distillate is when I have had foaming issues on stripping runs