StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Sick of Sugar and moving to AG and BIAB

Comments

• Right so I now have 4800W of controllable power at my disposal, so this weekend I will be doing a double distilled vodka

Just so people know weld-less elements will work in a milk can but it is a pita to get it to seal and I would recommend a welded element to anyone wanting to go down this route (or get 30Amp power hooked up :P)

Going to throw all 4800W at it and see how much reflux I can get going, then slowly reduce flow to my RC until I get a few drips per sec to take off heads and then drop the flow back until I get a toothpick stream

Run it as slow as I can doing a strip run and then once I empty the boiler do a slow spirit run

This has worked fine in the past for a decent vodka using only 2400W and 4 plates

Hoping the 4800W will give me a higher ABV off the still due to more reflux and a cleaner product, also will cut down heat up time. I am going to have to relearn how my still runs with the extra power but i can always reduce power if I need too :)

Next thing on my list to get is a packed section along with a 5th complete plate (and spacers)

I have way to much vodka atm so I am happy to run it 3 times if I have too, gives me something to do for my 4 day weekend :)

Wanting to get a Gin head later on as well

Currently waiting on my AG Single malt whisky to finish fermenting, will be buying my new grain mill motor next month so have to wait to do more AG brewing :( but at least I get my 40Kg of specialty grain on sat

I have some punkins muck in the fridge atm and everyone is raving about it (I made mine with some white dog)

Might have to make some more :p

Need to get some ingredients to make a few recipes

• Good progress mate. It's fun all over again.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Wholly shit 4800W is a whole different beast, Flooded my top Plate and even with the Deflag fully open I had product coming out super fast.

Currently running at about 90% and 3600W (runs at 2400W got me 92-93%)

Clearly need a packed section and extra plate to up my ABV

• I run at between 2.7 and 3kw @2.4 liter pull at 95% every summer. The extra plate and packed section will only clean your product up more

• 3.52W is what I'm running atm with a good toothpick sized stream and the deflag is fully on and reflux is happening but I am still getting bang on 90%

I thought more reflux meant a higher ABV?? and that by running more reflux I could run more power and therefore run at a higher speed

• Have reread the operation manuals and various tips, not to stressed about this run as its just a strip run for my vodka. Will follow the manual step by step on my spirit run and knock down the power :)

• That moment when you decide screw it turn the deflag flow to a trickle ramp upto 4800W and run in pot still mode because tbh even though you can run at 90% its only a stripping run :p

Probably added 4L of stipped product to the boiler with 30L of 8-10% ish wash

Got another 20L of bad ginger beer to strip as well

Have about 4L of 80-90% out atm and still collecting at 40% Not sure how much ill end up with but if I get enough for 10L of clean 40% vodka I'll be happy

4L of 90% is about 9L so should work out right after cuts (maybe)

Just have to work out what to do with it all :s

• That moment when your on your 2nd 800ml of 90% hearts and you have to shut down because you have a date :s

• edited November 2014

@clickeral fyi I have 2 x 3600w plus 5 plates and packed section, for neutral I can get 96% everytime without an issue.

The extra power is only used for heat up and stripping, 7200w works out at under 30mins for a full keg to heat. Stripping is great, takes bugger all time, perhaps max 1hr ?

On a spirit run I only ever use one element on a controller, depending on the product perhaps 2400w-3000w or a bit over, odd times I give it 3600w, but normally its under that.

Neutral runs can take 5 or 6 hrs in total, depends how slow I take fores/heads. Last run had hearts pouring out at 6 - 7 lt an hour mid run, slower when tweaking to keep abv and try not to let tails sneak in. I have 2 runs about 60 or 70 lt of strip to do tomorrow if everything goes to plan.

Whisky runs are different, I still have not worked out the "best" way to do these, 3 or 4 plates, run hard, run slow, turn off reflux etc. The product turns out fine, but each method it turns it out a little bit different, whole thread on this subject.

Anyhow keep posting how your going, I read this, but not ready to go all grain as yet, sugar is with me for a bit longer.

cheers

fadge

• I just went to the LHBS today and picked up some enzymes for my corn along with some more yeast

EC1118 US05 US04

And a specific whisky yeast :)

Because I stopped the still in the middle of hearts last night I have cranked it up again today at full power and with the Deflag running full bore and im just going to strip out as much product as I can. Its coming out the still at 85% and a steady stream, I may run less reflux on my whisky run and see how the product comes out, going off the Doctors notes he runs at 83% for whisky

In saying that I get a fair whack of flavour at 93% as well (going off my sugar head washes)

I already got 2.6L of 90% hearts so im happy :P

What ever I collect now along with the 1.2L of heads will go back into my feints jar for a 3rd distill :)

• @clickeral the manuals are a good place for most to start, but please do not think that they are "the only way" (or I might have to change my handle to @jesus lol)

like @fadge is doing with his whisky runs - do some experimentation to sort out what works best for you. I too use the extra power to reduce heat up time - then dial it back to about 50% or less for the spirit run

• @crozdog Cheers for the advice :) I went back to the manual so I could work out how the still handles with the extra power

Think i have it dialed in semi ok now

In saying that I am stripping atm and have 3 flooded plates haha

• good to hear, but it sounds like you need to dial the power back a bit more

• @crozdog said: good to hear, but it sounds like you need to dial the power back a bit more

Yeah I dialed it down to 3000W, 4800W is nuts :p even with the Deflag at full bore

• haha i have the same issue with 6kW - can't throw enough dephleg coolant at it! but dial it back to under 3kW & life settles down

• Making some RUM :D First batch of my All molasses rum will have to see how it tastes in comparison.

Finally worked out how to run with the extra power and am pulling off 92-93% atm

• edited November 2014

Pulled 3.4L of 90-93% rum off and then had 2 plates puke on me :( dropped power down to try recover it but I am not sure its recoverable

Should have put some anti foam in

• Think I recovered it, smells a lot rummier now but still at 90ish % so will see how it tastes watered down too 40% as white (if its bad ill run it in my other rum run tomorrow)

Did my cuts on the fly and have 3L of 65% on french oak atm :) (Also have 3L on dark American oak from my last run)

1.2L of heads sitting there atm from it so that will be added tomorrow

Will need to clean the still after my rum run tomorrow

Got my AG whisky ready to go :D

• keep some white for summer mojitos - great on a hot day!! I found the flavour of the white was a bit strong after diluting to 40% so cut it back with neutral to make a great mixer

sounds like you are having fun!

• @crozdog said: keep some white for summer mojitos - great on a hot day!! I found the flavour of the white was a bit strong after diluting to 40% so cut it back with neutral to make a great mixer

sounds like you are having fun!

Yeah I have drank 3 bottles of white already, my rum doesn't come out super strong so its great for mojitos

I have another rum run to do tomorrow so will keep some white from that :D

• So my Ammeter died :( have emailed the vendor for a replacement, so have gone back to the still dragon sticker to guesstimate my power use

• Soooo on payday I will be ordering my new Motor from motion dynamics (currently waiting on my spidergear and power supply to arrive otherwise I would have ordered it)

Still waiting on a reply about my Ammeter so I may just order a new one, I need more molasses :D

Will be running my AG pilsner whisky on Friday night (3plates) so will see how that goes (need to make another batch so I can do a 4 plate run to compare)

I currently have a bastard bourbon fermenting away

5 jars of failed sour corn starter 1 tin of liquid cara malt 4kg white sugar 1/4 cup bakers yeast

Just to use up some sugar not sure how it will go haha

Got one fermenter to clean and one sitting there empty also got 2 cubes that are empty :(

The last rum fermentor is set to add more mollasses and water so should start up straight away.

I will be doing the simple allgrain bourbon recepie off aussiedistiller (2x30L fermentors worth)

Probably put another rum on (even though I have 2x3L jars aging at 65% already haha got to make more white :p)

Start another Pilsner whisky and leave one fermenter free to rack into for clearing as needed

I am considering doing another apple brandy however (60L worth)

Currently have about 100kg of grain and 20kg corn but ill need to get some more

Thinking a MO, Munich and some peated malt

Picked up 250g of Amerillo on monday so I can finally put on a DR Surmotos golden ale :) (hoping I have enough of the munich left)

Only have one keg empty atm :s

• Running the whisky atm :) on 3 plates already had it puke during heatup so let it cool alittle and added some antifoam

• I gotta say you sure have jumped in boots & all!! luvit.

• @crozdog

Got to start somewhere :p its been an adventure that's for sure, still trying to get my mashing efficiency up. The whisky wash I am running atm is about 5% so hope that I get alot of flavor over.

Only looking at 1.5L of product out but tbh I'll cut hard and save the good stuff to be blended with the next run

I still need some more gear atm but its getting there slowly

Learning by doing :P

• @Clickeral said: Running the whisky atm :) on 3 plates already had it puke during heatup so let it cool alittle and added some antifoam

I reckon you have to leave more headroom in the boiler, I found the same issue with my whisky/bourbon washes, need to watch its not filled too high, but the old tpw does not foam or puke so I fill right up to top if I need to.

I adjusted my wash amount so I was not forcing the last bit into the boiler, so now I fill the fermenter up to the 50-55lt mark, about 45lt max wash (has grain etc on the bottom)

Generally I find if it pukes its perhaps "mid run", after fores/heads when it does.

Stripping is differnet I just let er rip sometimes I see a puke but my strip setup is fairly tall so no problems, just ease back the power for a bit, then rip into it again.

And yep antifoam works a treat, thanks @punkin, one bottle goes a long way, not a profitable line to sell I'd say, I'm still using the first one.

fadge

• @fadge said:

Hey Fadge cheers for the tips :)

I only have 27L in the boiler (50L) and was surprised it puked during heatup with 4800w

My still is at the normal height with one plate removed

I just finished taking off 100ml of fores so filling the parrot, think it'll be a long night

Next run I do will add antifoam to start like I do with the rum I make

Just doing one pass with the bubbler at this stage but I may look into stripping it via pot mode then do a spirit run over 3plates

• First jar coming out atm at 90% trying to get it down to 80-85% but it may be hard

The smell is different from any other run I have done before, thinking this will have a lot of flavor :) will air it out over the next few days

• 2nd jar has dropped down to 88-89% slowly getting there no fogging on my sight glasses so not into tails yet

Taking it off in 200ml per jar

• @Clickeral do you go deep into tails on a rum spirit run?
    I've heard different opinions about that. If memory serves, a tiny, tiny portion of deep tails blended back to the main body of the hearts cut is supposed to be a good thing but maybe only if rested on oak for awhile?
    Not really sure but late heads and a bit of tails adds character. So it has been said.
    I've only drank hearts for so long now its hard for me to take the "sharpness?" of any heads and the "mustiness?" of any tails unless I purposely sip it regularly for a few days.

Hearts only has skewed my taste buds and commercial whiskeys, even the top shelf stuff, is like a slap in the face. Takes a bit of getting used to. So much there that my tongue and brain processes it as bad at first. Yes, sure, after a couple or four it tastes OK :O)

My take is that the complexity of a rich spirit needs that dab of heads and tails but only if mellowed with oak aging.