Long Time No See

edited September 2014 in General

It's been a while...I'm loving the recent developments!

I've been spending my hobby time paying attention to the brew itself. Trying yeast starters, mashing different grains, and overall giving some love to the primary fermentation.

Working on a mix of corn, rye, and malt (with my usual touch of panela, which I LOVE). I've decided to use white labs ale yeasts and let it go to 8% rather than pushing it with distiller's yeasts. The yield is less but you can taste the difference!

Also messing with small-scale Absinthe/Gin type spirits using a glass 2L rig.

I should also be about ready to add another plate come late fall.

Cheers 'N Beers...

Comments

• That literally cries out loud for PICTURES! :)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• There are a number of WL ale yeasts that I absolutely love for whiskey.

• WL actually stocks a line of distillers yeasts from Tennessee whiskey, bourbon, neutral etc. that might be worth checking out as well

• edited September 2014

WL's Tennessee is very very nice, better than the Bourbon or American Whiskey IMHO. Some of the ales are better yet, I think, but that's because I'm a fan of higher ester yeasts, which you may not be.

AG, fermented on grain, and pitched around 80F, fermented low/mid 70s. All using multi-step starters from a single vial.

• A few months ago I ran a few batches of 9.2% Belgian golden fermented with WLP400 and some of those floral esters certainly came through. WLP002 might be nice a fruity whiskey or even a brandy. I am actually the lab manger at my brewery, so I spend A LOT of time working with yeast, and it seems to me that there really isn't a whole lot of info out there on using different yeast strains in distilling. As more craft brewers turn to craft distilling, I expect we will start to see an array of new products and styles just as the craft beer movement has spurned. I personally think there is a glut of good research and experimentation to be done here , but then again I am a yeast geek...