StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

8" Crystal Dragon R&D...

Comments

• relating to the plastic tubing discussion of actual sizes of copper and plastic....

My plan for my 8" RC is 1/2" NPT to swagelok 90(all 4 ports), shiny copper 1/2" tubing horizontally to back of condenser(all 4 ports), then a branch tee (Swagelok to NPT) downward for each the inlet and outlet, a 1/2" union with a clamp of some sort to hold it in place, 5/8 rubber hoses to the IBC tote, one to the pump for supply, then a manifold of some sort with my 4-20mA valve and a bypass valve for the return...

Maybe some long radius 90's in 1/2" SS and eliminate having to keep the copper shiny...

Also, my Swagelok 90's are not exactly 'ported', the ID of the thread is smaller than the plastic tubing, so I will hog them out a bit...

• edited November 2014

How are you getting by using 1/2"? You are still recirculating?

I dumped all my 1/2" two way valves for 1" two way valves, and have dumped the 1" two way values for 1.25" three way valves so I didn't need to deal with any pump back pressure. It'll be plumbed up with 1" pex to the recirc pumps/tanks. The 1.25" is overkill, but 1" is probably in line for a big recirc setup.

I have a spare Johnson VG1241AD if you need another proportional controller to match the others you've got.

The Belimo and Johnsons are pretty much identical in terms of performance.

grims.jpg
    600 x 800 - 74K
  • yes, still using 1/2"... (and 5/8" rubber garden hose, I am eliminating the 4 plastic hoses of 7.5mm ID with copper of 11mm ID before next run and adding a needle valve for low end...

getting just under 4GPM, I run at only 1100W during total reflux, I do not have scrubbies in the dephleg yet, I am flowing from the bottom up...

I almost think I need two pumps, the small 809/815 is fine for everything but total reflux, I have the flow 90% blocked during a whiskey run, 160F returning to the tank and 140 proof for most of the run...

the biggest key is to watch the ups and downs in the hose where air bubble can collect, they absolutely kill flow...

• A video showing me trying to recover some of the heat energy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFWnb89Cx0g

• Showing the reservoir temps on the RC cooling water system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50cBiFeNAk

• Showing the automation of the dephlegmator / RC Cooling water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4KaEw2qgEI

• edited December 2014

Nice update, the plumbing looks really good. Can't wait to see it in action.

Interesting that you are taking the PC feed off the RC inlet, that's working OK for you?

• Short answer, yes, so far...

First 8 runs were with city water feeding PC and putting 50gal a batch into the IBC's, but then I had to either throw away water or try using both. I think it succeeds here because both never drawing substantially at the same time.

With the danfoss valve setting the PC to 130F exit temp, it is just a small stream at normal takeoff, and a decent stream with the RC shut off.... if the RC valve is more than 25% open, I am in full reflux, and the PC output is just the bypass trickle..

At higher power than the 11kw I am using now, it may become an issue, but two runs were no problem other than with multiple runs, and the coolant started getting north of 80F, so was the product... once I get glycol up and running, that should go away. If i have issues, I will run a separate pump, but none yet...

I am going to get rid of the push connect hose connecting to the johnson valve, at least a couple feet of 3/8 rubber line for temperature capability. And get flowmeters for knowing what is going on..

• First Vodka run on the 8"... holy cow, the reflux needed uses a LOT of water when you only have 4 plates. About 4-5l/hour at 11kw with a 50%abv still charge... I used(heated) 250 gallons of water for each 5 gallons of 95%, I am on my 3rd container now, may have to dump some water... I guess need to sell some vodka and pay to go to 8 plates!

It does taste yummy after it airs a bit and I bring it down to 40%...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcvVa9gStxc

• Good deal @CothermanDistilling. I'll buy a couple from that first run! =D>

• @captainshooch said: Good deal CothermanDistilling. I'll buy a couple from that first run! =D>

sold!

• Excellent bit of video mate.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Have not posted on here in a while... Anyone else break CD glass sections? I probably ran vinegar steam in way too quickly luckily, they were # 2 and # 8 from the top.. one was old, one was new...

1.jpg
    450 x 800 - 43K
  • Video of 24 plates in action... well at least as much as I can from the first level...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D18681HgTPE

• The product with accurate temp and proof

2.jpg
    450 x 800 - 57K
  • Great stuff mate. Looks really good and thanks for the feedback on numbers. Always good to hear about power levels and output from real users.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @CothermanDistilling nope, knock on wood, all my glass sections are intact....ahhhh crap, I done did it, now they are going to commit suicide @-)

Scratching my head wondering why they cracked????

• Here is the system set up on a stripping run, warmed up with 27.5Kw, then had to back down to one 5500W element to keep from puking, after an hour was able to ramp up to all 5 elements again, the distillate was a bit warm..

The 4" condenser with danfoss thermostatic valve works flawlessly, might be able to use full power if I put some scrubbies in the tubes. Will do another run in a day or so, will measure speed, I would guess 40L/hr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg0pfuUsmNs

• Your setup looks really good Mike.

• Great vid as always.

• OK, running it now on 4 5500w elements (22Kw) and in 6 minutes got about 4.2 liters, it was warm, so going to say 4, which means 40L/hr.. which means I can pull 10 gallons off the stripping run in an hour. It takes about 2 hours to heat and knock down foam...

I am sure I will have it dialed in 100% by the time I get a bigger boiler...

• I'm very impressed with the 4" PC.

We opened up the steam boiler during the last run at the start of tails. Turned off the RC and let her rip. We were pushing through 15 gpm, and taking off a very heavy stream at a very chilly 67f.

• @CothermanDistilling , why not strip through your 8" column with the RC turned off so you have copper exposure during the stripping run? I know it would be slower as you still have to deal with passive reflux but in your current strip configuration in the absence of copper are you noticing any "sulfur funk" in your strippate?

• just tails funk, that stuff stays n the silicone gaskets a long time... the low wines are nasty anyway, but no sulfur... most of what i distill would be considered drinkable, but not perfect, 'beer', not like it was fermented with unhealthy yeast that created sulphur...

• @grim said: I'm very impressed with the 4" PC.

We opened up the steam boiler during the last run at the start of tails. Turned off the RC and let her rip. We were pushing through 15 gpm, and taking off a very heavy stream at a very chilly 67f.

makes me want a 6"(or8") x1.5m one on a tank stand!

• Great stuff mate, thanks for keeping us posted.

• @CothermanDistilling said: makes me want a 6"(or8") x1.5m one on a tank stand!

Give me your requisite demensions and I can price one up for you. Include the finish floor to bottom of dump valve on the parrot so that we can establish the height needed to simply roll your optimal collection vessel under the business end.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @grim said: We were pushing through 15 gpm,

:-O