StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The 4" Copper Cored Dephlegmator Attempt

13»

Comments

• You did that copper weld with 304? I'm going to go fire up the tig and try it, somebody told me that copper wire is the best way to go, so that's what I'd been trying.

• Not sure how to direct my response with the @cothermandistilling so I will just respond. Welding position could help as well. Lay the dephleg on its side in a pair of vee blocks back purge from one end to the other. A flat position can play to the Argons tendency to sink. A barbed fitting in a 4"tc cap with gasket and clamp on the entry end and the copper plate to be welded in on the other end with 5 of the six holes plugged.

• @Grim - yes, I used pretty thin stuff at that, 1/16 or .050...

@Nake - I had no issues with position or gas(other than running out), the bottom was plugged by the stainless plate it was sitting on, and the top had the holes that are small enough to keep a breeze from wafting the argon away... I could have run the whole circumference in 30-45 seconds if I did not run out of gas... but kinda glad I did, now I get to use helium, especially for the copper-copper... now, on the other hand, I could certainly use some help to design a process for doing 6 and 8 inch ferrules onto boilers, that I could improve on!

• @CothermanDistilling said
    "now, on the other hand, I could certainly use some help to design a process for doing 6 and 8 inch ferrules onto boilers, that I could improve on!

:D I am thinking about mi tiny milk can!

• Thing that always scared the hell out of me when doing milk cans was blowing a big fat hole right through the can.

• I got a tank of pure helium, welds waaay different. Here is latest pic showing mock up of elbows to get most of the water flow.

20140825_142123.jpg
    600 x 800 - 74K
  • OK, here it is finished, it took no less than 10 trips back to the welding bench to fix pinhole leaks, and that was using helium, I probably used a half tank of helium that was $85... And my welding got too close to the tri-clover seal to be comfortable... but I am certain I can get it to seal with the soft silicone seals... I will think long and hard before doing this again... I now understand more clearly the issues that @RedDoorDistillery had... I do think that a better welder, or CNC welder, in a oxygen free environment could do this, but I am now thinking the 1/4" thick stainless plate in the end with the rolled boiler tube.... or a can like @Myles suggested... it will be a few days/weeks before I can performance test...

CDC20140909-02.jpg
    600 x 800 - 68K
  • @Law_Of_Ohms said: told you :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... I know... some of us rocks need to learn for ourselves....

• No rock here,,,,,,,,,fence post. Thank you very much.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America