StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Box (roll music)

Comments

• edited August 2014

You can see the earth point and weep hole.

element_guard_kit_end_cap.jpg
    600 x 800 - 64K
  • while I am giving some feed back on SD gear I thought I might also mention some of the other products I have perchesed in the last 6 months.

• edited August 2014

I was reading through some old posts of punkins yesterday and found this post Bla bla bla skip to the part that is in bold.

@punkin said: New shipment is due in next week. There are a limited number of milk can boilers. These will retail bare for $440 plus shipping. There are a few of the boiler stands as well they will be $170.

Please let me know if you would like to reserve one of these, especially the stands as there are not enough to go round.

New stocks of downcomers that i ran out of this week will be arriving so for those waiting for complete units and for bubbletees the shipping will start towards the end of next week all going to plan.

There are a very small number of the copper ferrules in 2", 3" and 4". They will be priced at $45, $60 and $85 respectively.( edit, i am able to do these much cheaper as the cost came in lower than expected, $20, $30 and $40) I expect these to sell very quickly and i know there have been some people waiting on them, please reindicate to me via this thread or email what size and how many you want. I don't really expect these to make it to the website. They are expensive to produce but they are unique in the world.

There are the new sets of stainless funnels. These are a set of 3 ranging from 100mm to 140mm. They will retail for $59 (edit, once again these have come in cheaper than i thought, they will retail for $39 a set).

Pictures of all these items to come once i unpack.

The best news is that i will now be stocking 6" and 8" complete Dashes here from now on ready to ship directly to you for commercial applications. Same with the 8" Crystal Dragons. This should make it much simpler than the dropship method i was using. All parts and consumables will be in stock for shipment from Australia.

The 3" product condensors have to be seen to be believed, i shipped one a couple of weeks ago to a customer who then decided to upgrade his whole still because of the weight and quality of it. These will be standard items on all the 8" units.

This is a really exciting time and another stage of development for StillDragon Australia, i'm starting to get a handle on demand and stock control (despite running out of dc's :^o ) and the number of partial and complete SD units in Australia and New Zealand is continuingly amazing me.

Thank you to all my customers past and future for supporting a company that was built and is run to bring you the best possible gear in the world at the best possible value. Thanks to Lloyd and LoO for the constant daily development hours they put in, and it's this that will continue to bring you the products you want that don't even exist yet. :)>-

Yes that was me. I perchesed a 3inch shooty for my pot still and then decided to upgrade to the rest of the still due to the weight and quality of the shooty. They are realy something to be had and held in your arms to under stand how good they are. An when you do get one make sure you cradle it like a new born because it really is a precious pice of gear.

product_condenser.jpg
    480 x 800 - 40K
  • edited August 2014

product_condenser_assembly.jpg
    281 x 800 - 34K
  • Regarding the guard kits, don't forget to remove the existing tri-clamp twist nut and replace it with a 5/16th (I think) lock nut. This is a security precaution that requires a spanner to remove the guard (kids and people in general) and possibly having access to live terminals.

• @Philter said: Regarding the guard kits, don't forget to remove the existing tri-clamp twist nut and replace it with a 5/16th (I think) lock nut. This is a security precaution that requires a spanner to remove the guard (kids and people in general) and possibly having access to live terminals.

ah that's some good advice thanks mate

• Thats some mighty fine bling ya got there daddio B-)

• @Elvis said: Thats some mighty fine bling ya got there daddio B-)

thanks mate

• I wonder if I could use that 3" condenser as an extra super reflux condenser?

• @Fiji_Spirits said: I wonder if I could use that 3" condenser as an extra super reflux condenser?

You running a 4 inch mate. By the time you buy the 3" shooty might as well buy a super deflag

• You get the batten (what I call a "dog") on the boiler manway sorted?

• @Lloyd said: You get the batten (what I call a "dog") on the boiler manway sorted?

No mate I have not done any thing about it yet mate. You where right the bolt is bent I need to take it to the farm and put it in the big vise and see how it looks after. It still works just hard to get it nice and tight. Im not to worried about it punkin has sent a new one see how it goes if its not good I will send it back Ah fuck talk about sending stuff back @punkin I still not sent your gear off.

• I bumped the boiler factory your pics and requested a spare to be sent to me but it may be some time before @punkin gets it.

• I may well have a bolt here somewhere too i think.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited August 2014

Time for a Sexy party

drunkas_still.jpg
    480 x 800 - 38K
  • @drunkas That's a stunner mate =) True head turner, that shotty looks impressive!

• @drunkas Oh my! you have such a large one... I don't think you will outgrow that condenser...

• Looks fantastic mate. Really nice.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @FullySilenced said: drunkas Oh my! you have such a large one... I don't think you will outgrow that condenser...

Your a funny bugger. But your right. The condenser really sets it off.

• edited September 2014

Well I finally got to run my boiler yesterday for the first time and if I do say WOW. I am very happy with the way it heated up. I was worried that I was going to be sitting around for 2 or 3 hours for the heat up but to my surprise it only took 1 hour to heat up 120 Lt of 35% rum spirit. When I first turned it on both the 4800 watt ellys started to make that beautiful sound like my kitchen kettle and we where away. One of the ellys is powered strat from the power point with no controller while the other is ran through my SD controller. It was averaging about 1 degree every minuet during the heat up. So as the heat up was going I took boiler temps every 5 minuets so I could see what was going on.

Stat time of run 11.55

11.55 temp 21.6c

12.00 " 25.9c

12.05 " 31.7c

12.10 " 36.4c

12.15 " 41.9c

12.20 " 48.2c

12.25 " 53.8c

12.30 " 58.2c

12.35 " 64.0c

12.40 " 69.9c

12.45 " 74.1c

Top of boiler temp 67c Bottom of boiler 23c the bottom temp bearly changed during the main heat up

12.50 " 75.6c

At this point the top and bottom the boiler temps started to rise fast.

12.55 " 77.3c

Things are starting to change and we gona be on the money soon.

13.00 " 81.3c

Shit hit the fan to much power plates went from being dry to flooded lost about 500ml out the parrot. Turned one elly off and turned the other down to about 75% power to let every thing normalize. Once every thing had settle down I then terned power back up to max 4800 watts and let heads start to compress for the next hour. While running on max power I found that my deflag was having problems keeping up with the system. This could be because of the amount of power I was running or it could have been because of my garden hose that I was using running from the tank to the pump. The pump was sucking in the hose. It was a cheap as chips hose so say no more. Will have to see what happens next time I do a run with it. If no change then its a supa deflag for me. I did check to see how much water I was getting out the deflag at that time wich was about 6lt a minuet. I would have thought that was more then was needed. So while I was compressing the heads I was losing about 500ml an hour through the deflag I know I could have terned down the heat but I did not see the point the plates where not over loading and the rum spirit that I was stripping down was bad tasting and my plan was to stick it back on oak and put some rum essence in it so I got nice flavored rum for over the summer.

time 14.00 14.00 temp 81.8c It sat between 81 and 82c prity much the hole time every now and then it would go up to 83c but I just let it go. I now take off my heads nice and slow.

14.15 " 81.7c

14.30 " 81.6c

14.45 " 81.9c

15.00 " 82.1c

15.30 " 82.3c

16.00 " 81.9c

16.30 " 82.4c

I started getting a bit lazy at this point with checking temps. But up until now I had been taking temps every 5 minuet from different parts of the boiler. The only time I got over 95% was while I was compressing the heads. While the run was going it sat between 93 and 94% and I was happy with that like I have said its rum and I'm making more rum with it.

Stay tuned few more things to come all most done

• ah stupid bloody thing wont let me put the numbers in a list

• Yes, you have to double space it mate.

Just unpacked two new 4" refluc condensors. I have a couple of 9 tube condensors in the regular shell and a couple of the big new super condensors.

Try using a bit of irrigation pipe mate, go up to 1 inch or 1.5 inch pipe.

• Did you add a few strands of SS scrubby to the dephlem holes to cause the vapor to bounce into the sides of the pipes instead of blowing straight through?

• thanks @punkin @Lloyd no I did not have any thing shoved up it might be worth trying.

• edited September 2014

From start to shut down it took a total of 6 hours to take off with a average of 6Lt an hour. Previously when I have run it on the keg boiler I have achieved 95.5% but I was running it slow at about 5Lt an hour if my memory serves me correct with low heat as well.

• woops I accidentally posted before I was finished.

So to recap last night I took a total of 25Lt of 94% slightly rummy smelling spirit plus a liter or so of fores. I probably could have taken another few liters from it but I had 25Lts sitting on the table and I new there was not much left in the boiler. This morning when I checked the boiler it was showing about 18% so down the drain with it it went.

• Wow 6 liters an hour. How was it tasting coming off the dash?

This was a 35% low wines run yeah?