Google Search Comments

This discussion was created from comments split from: Punkin's Eye Search Engine.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

Comments

• edited June 2014

I'm not a fan of Google, which is why I didn't go that way. Google does extensive user tracking, which is not something you would want when visiting our site for several reasons (especially when logged in at Google, then your anonymity is gone completely!).

Our forum's search engine is simple. Either enter a word, more than one word (separated by space) or a phrase with quotation marks, and you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Your example from another discussion: Try "performance from around the world" (including the quotation marks!) to see a proper find in action.

During my daily forum check I especially take care that all relevant discussions are fitted with the proper tags.

Doing a tag search either by clicking one of the tags in the Popular Tags box in the column to the right or by entering the tag directly as URL parameter gives you good results as well. Try >>> THIS <<< to get a definite search result for your example above as an alternative to entering the whole phrase into the search box.

To help people search our forum you can also mention a hashtag as known from Twitter. Simply enter the hashtag followed by the search term, like # performance, in a comment and have a look at the results (the single word performance is used quite often, which is why it needs till page 3 to find the target of your example from above).

The built in search function can do, although I have to admit that a proper advanced interface is missing.

I don't want to give up on the internal search function, because it's tied to the core and manages the tags as well, and it does not make much sense to have two different search boxes in place, but if our members really should have problems searching our site, I could look into adding a customized DuckDuckGo search box (pretty much the same as Google but without the user tracking).

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Sure mate. I'm happy with and used to google. It does a fantastic job, so i use it. There's no harm in me or anyone else using it?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• There is no harm to the forum, and none for anyone using it if anonymity it not an issue. I hope you don't mind me having added a remark about the possible anonymity loss to your initial posting.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited June 2014

Sorry I couldn't resist.

facebook_1008179011.jpg
    800 x 812 - 55K
  • I want one... !! Btw, every time I do a Bing search for a product or a piece of equipment, I get a crapload of adverts for the next year on stuff. If I make a buy from Amazon, I see adds for the same horseshit I just bought but different brands for the next month (I guess they want me to know there's other options if the one I purchased didn't work out) - Pretty pathetic when it's a single source sort of thing (Like a Martin Guitar)...

I use Google Office for collaborating and Web ex work on DT... I am not impressed so far.

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• Install Adblocker.

• What a stupid name....BING. Someone got paid a lot of money to come up with that. I HATE THAT SEARCH ENGINE. Its never returns anything even close to what I am looking for.

• Billy Gates always said he sucked hind tit when it came to search. Even Jobs couldn't crack the nut. Google is clearly king of that space and always has been since they opened shop. Not sure they "do no evil" but they are and have been my default search engine. They will probably rule the world someday.

• I bought 20 Google shares when they first launched at about $100 each. I now wish I had have sold the house, the dog, the mrs, the next door neighbours house, dog and mrs and bought more than 20 lousy shares.

• I really like to encourage you to try DuckDuckGo, The search engine that doesn't track you. It's search done right.