StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Introducing the NEW +++ ProCap36 +++ Product Line-Up!

Comments

• @jbierling said: Any thoughts on mixing these up with the current caps/downcomers?

@Myles has been in the loop for awhile on this and he was the first to suggest exactly that.
    Over time, it may be possible for me to supply the blank plates and the hole saws to allow folks to experiment with mixing caps on a plate. This is all new territory for everyone to play with.

• edited June 2014

bigger bore

stilldragon_bubble_plate_bore_comparison.jpg
    800 x 600 - 115K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• New is bigger... the hole pattern is different

• Now that they have been announced I can tell you that my build is a 6 plate 4.8" that is being run with 3 pro caps per plate. I don't have the power currently available to run 4 per plate.

• Video added to @Lloyd's initial posting! :-bd

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @FullySilenced said: New is bigger... the hole pattern is different

Hole size in SD original plate is 16.2mm
    Hole size in SD ProCap36 plate is 23.2mm

A 23.5mm hole saw works OK if designing your own plate.

• pics of an assembled 8"?

• edited June 2014

@CothermanDistilling said: pics of an assembled 8"?

Nope, have all the parts here though. Tell me what you want to see and we'll assemble and shoot it tomorrow morning. The 8" Dash hasn't changed except for the gutty works. I have an 8" plate populated with ProCaps but haven't assembled a full working 8" ProCap still because I can't run one :(( for lack of power and my personal boiler is only 70L.

The 12" development thread now has a clever rendering of @grim's new 12" Crystal Dragon that is destined to mount to a 1000L steam jacketed boiler.

PM me if you need specs on something (include your email address so I can forward drawings or pictures).

• edited June 2014

Nice work fellas. Are these the no downcomer plates you were talking about @punkin?

• Excellent. I like it. Who come up with the name? Why 36?

• very nice fellas these look just awesome looking forward to video
    reflux flow looks like a lot of fun

• @cooperville said: very nice fellas these look just awesome looking forward to video

Video has been inserted at the beginning of this discussion.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Yes @googe that's the no downcomer i was hinting at on Artisan. We kicked around the names for a while coops, i think it was Lloyd who named his babies, the 36 relates to the cap diameter.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• And I think it puts addition copper in the vapor path over the std caps and downcomers ?

• That would be a side benefit.

For those who missed the video link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty6eY9VUIgI

• Congratulations for such a successful product launch! :-bd

All the new items, including all the new ProCap36 parts and 5" / 6" / 8" tech, will be available in Europe in the middle of August (our sea freight shipments have a really long journey to travel).

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• If I'm completely honest with myself here, my dash is fast enough as it is. I don't really need the upgrade. I just want them though!

• I don't have the power for a 5in unless I use propane. Cant wait until i actually get a shed! and upgraded power

• is 4800w enough power?

• Simply beautiful :x

• @vooharmy said: is 4800w enough power?

Certainly enough power to run them, but whether it's enough power to justify the extra cost or take full advantage of the capabilities of these babies is something only you can decide.

• Yes the beauty is that they are bubble caps and can still be run as softly.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Thats good to know! I noticed in your video that there is a flexible ss extension this seems like a brilliant solution for fixed product condensers. I couldnt see an option on punkins website though

• Yes Lloyd has that on his rig so that he can more easily swap components and leave his fixed condenser assembly in place.

I do believe we will offer those at some point moving forward.

• Hmmm guys on MD are already trying to poke holes in it

http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3787

Isn't jealously fun

• The flex pipe is cool for someone like me that changes configurations often.
    I had a big 4" product condenser prototype arrive dinged up due to aggressive postal workers so it couldn't be sold and claimed it as mine :D Most of my rig is 'scratch and dent' parts but that's OK.
    I table mounted the condenser and parrot and secured it to the wall with a TC pipe hanger and then cobbled together lengths of TC pipe sections, and nudging the boiler around, to fit the column to the condenser. I started feeling regret about fixing the condenser in place because it meant I'd have to perform that ballet for every configuration change. At about that time @CothermanDistilling asked for flexible pipe and instantly I knew that it was the solution for my problem.

• Harley and Zombie, i added a reply to them already ... and on HD as well...

• edited June 2014

No one ever said one size fits all.......but it is safe to say the one size sure as hell fits better than it did 72 hours ago. And for all those nay sayers know,,,,, one size may very well fit better than it ever has.

The proof will be in the pudding. I wager within a year, no less than one of our pro customers will be making award winning spirits with this system.

• edited June 2014

One thing I noticed these fellas do not know is the return pipe or down comer is not carting water from one place to another. Downcomers are designed to allow for the escape of vapor (desired product) while maintaining enough open space for reflux to fall clear of the rising vapor it contains. It is actually a two lane road. The falling reflux MUST have enough time, and room for the vapors to rise out.

For all of the Hobby builders this is not important because the still will work regardless. BUT for guys like me that want something to be 100% correct... I spent MANY hours learning the ratio's of open space vs. falling reflux rates. Technically as the reflux gets lower in the column it is denser and contains less Eth vapor so the down comers can be designed smaller. The reflux is denser but also more viscous so it is also slower falling out.

The math does not lie. One size does not fit all, and a down comer designed to evacuate a plate quickly is also wasting energy due to repeating processes as well as reducing separation efficiency.

I guess it all comes down to what you want/expect. I want my still to be designed properly to separate Ethanol efficiently.

That's hilarious!

What a flip., Downcomers are designed for the for the escape of vapour? These are the only downcomers in the world that are designed to contain vapour and they still don't allow vapour to come from the downcomer section.

If his properly designed still has vapour coming from the downcomers then he has blowby and a definite problem :))

The reflux is denser but also more viscous so it is also slower falling out.

:))

He thinks the downcomer is designed to empty the plate quickly? Like any downcomer it's designed to empty the plate at the same rate that reflux is falling from above, it just has the capacity (same as a weir) to deal with a lot of reflux.

Repeating processes?...repeating gibberish....

The figures don't lie. The new caps are efficient, they have more surface area in action and the results are there at a pace that is unequaled anywhere without affecting product purity.

The whole post is gibberish from a guy who has only recently got a vague grasp on the basic fundamentals of distillation.

I think Foghorn Leghorn said it best;

This boy, I say, this boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice. Always flappin' his gums, an' he never, I say he never listens to anyone, it's no surprise he's such a dim bulb.

There's one more clown that hasn't piped in yet.

foghorn.jpg
    272 x 255 - 15K

• It's just Zombie don't worry about it at all... Punkin about the other one...give him time and he will i promise...