Howdy

Hello all. Just signed up on this forum. I am an ex-pro craft brewer that has produced thousands of gallons of beer. I have the itch to learn distilling and have been setting up my garage in hopes of producing some single malt whisky. I have my eye on the dash 1 and should be brewing up a wash within a month or so. I'm looking forward to learning a lot here and getting to know everyone. cheers!

Comments

• Hi Scott, Glad you are here.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Where'd all these beer guys come from?
    You're in good company here. Welcome @solarpowerscott.

• Hi mate, welcome

• Welcome!

Beer (especially dark beer) distilled to brandy is very popular in Austria. Have you tried that yet?

@Lloyd: Selfmade beer is fashionable here in Europe, especially in Germany and Austria. Micro breweries pop up like mushrooms everywhere. Perhaps something, we should have a look at?

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• We are StillDragon, not BeerDragon, but we are certainly being pulled into the beer making equipment... screaming and kicking... as making beer and drinking it is not my forte. I have much to learn about beer and that's a huge avenue to pursue. I could get lost. I could neglect distilling in the pursuit. It is risky. It pulls me away from distilling.

My fermenting skills are weak, my ability to turn grains into fermentable mash is almost nonexistent. My only skill is drinking very fine selfmade booze and building still parts is just a way to the means.

The more I'm tugged toward beer making the more I'm pulled from distilling. BUT should I execute my amazingly awesome executive power and command (without getting beaten) that Tan line up grains, hops and stuff for me, you all coach me along on what to do, get me comfortable making good beer, etc... it could happen.

Any bruises on my body along the way would be completely your fault.

• making beer is easy. Even a caveman can do it. lol. I'm hoping my brewing skills will lead me to producing a decent single malt whisky. thanks for the welcome folks!

• I think that everyone distilling, especially those using malted grains for distilling, should know John Palmer's book 'How to Brew' forwards and backwards... You do not need to make your mash drinkable as beer for distilling, but I think you should know how to and more importantly WHY to do it for beer... Making a few all-grain batches of beer does not really need any more eq than distilling... I look at my SD 380L electric boiler and I see an AWESOME 2BBL boil kettle... fermenters are fermenters if the temperature is right... if you live in a warm climate, make beer in the cool months, distillers beer in the summer... and if you ever make a bad beer, it will make great whiskey.... that is how I got into distilling, couldn't bring myself to throw out slightly off beer....... Maybe @Lloyd will make a mash tun or combi-tun that matches the 380L/1000L stills... basically add a flat bottom, stirrer, false bottom, and a way to remove the grain....

• @CothermanDistilling said: I think that everyone distilling, especially those using malted grains for distilling, should know John Palmer's book 'How to Brew' forwards and backwards... You do not need to make your mash drinkable as beer for distilling, but I think you should know how to and more importantly WHY to do it for beer... Making a few all-grain batches of beer does not really need any more eq than distilling... I look at my SD 380L electric boiler and I see an AWESOME 2BBL boil kettle... fermenters are fermenters if the temperature is right... if you live in a warm climate, make beer in the cool months, distillers beer in the summer... and if you ever make a bad beer, it will make great whiskey.... that is how I got into distilling, couldn't bring myself to throw out slightly off beer....... Maybe Lloyd will make a mash tun or combi-tun that matches the 380L/1000L stills... basically add a flat bottom, stirrer, false bottom, and a way to remove the grain....

Michael? We have that.

• I'll bump you a drawing right now.