StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

cunnyfunt's SD Biab Blog

13»

Comments

• Damn cunnyfunt starters and ball lock fermenting is the future i like the idea a lot and will more than likely be making this jump as well . Are you modifying your sanke kegs with 4" so you can give em a good clean out after ferment? Olddog controller and all WOW!! i want one of those but i am not set up permanently

• Thanks coops. I meant they are 6". So I can get my fat arm in to clean:) 6" Ferrules are being welded on the kegs this week.

• edited July 2014

Started with 15kg distillers malt, and 7kg of peated malt with 100l at mash in and 30l sparge. I ended up getting 100l @ 1046 into the fermenter. Next time I will throw some grain into the fermenter with emzym to boost it a couple points but I'm happy with that.

I also trialled an inline o2 airstone connected after the wort chiller. Ran it for about two minutes. It worked excellent. So did the auto sparge. I used Whitelabs old English ale yeast this time.

Top pic is the temp gauge taking measurement right near the inline airstone before pumping into the fermenter

1.jpg
    800 x 450 - 38K
    2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 48K
    3.jpg
    450 x 800 - 69K
    4.jpg
    450 x 800 - 51K
  • edited July 2014

This morning current ambient is 13c

ferment.jpg
    800 x 450 - 31K
  • edited August 2014

So I'm back using a braumeister. I had a 20L a few years back. Loved it but it was to small.

Mashed 25kg of wheat yesterday in a 50l braumeister and got 90l @ 1.058 into the fermenter. And was able to clean the house, wash the dog's, cook breakfast and dinner. I also managed to drink half a bottle of vodka a smoke 25g of Dr Pat..

100% wheat vodka mash

12.5kg Joe white wheat
    10mls pro malt enzyme
    Mashed @ 66c for 2 hours, no mash out, no sparge, no boil. 45l chilled and o2'ed into the fermenter, 2.5l starter of WL neutral grain yeast. X2

1.jpg
    800 x 450 - 66K
    2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 54K
    3.jpg
    800 x 450 - 34K
    4.jpg
    450 x 800 - 50K
  • Nice.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I just cleaned up about 86l off the floor from the blow off. Leaves me about 4l to run through the dash :O

• Sorry to hear that sir..makes the eyes tear up thinking of the loss...

• Couple of drops of antifoam may help next time. remind me next order and i'll send you some.

Too bad. Sounds like i would have drunk it as beer with a hefe yeast.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited August 2014

You sent me some with the dash thanks :). Never thought about using it with fermentation. This yeast is a bomb. I will give it a little more head space next time. I only really lost a few litres. :)

• I wish you'd post more pics, @cunnyfunt, I very much like your working environment. It looks more like a lab than a shed or garage. :-bd

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• I love the pictures mate. I recon I'm about 2 years behind you in gear. What you are doing is along the lines of what I want to do. Don't know if I will go with a braumeister or try and build one my self and save the penny's for other items that I will need.

• How are your kegs setup to be used as fermenters mate?

• if you are talking to me I have the kegs but not done any thing with them yet. I was thing of welding 2 kegs together and having the 2 inch feral s that they have on em each end then add some legs and a light sand blasting to blend every thing and you got some really nice looking SS fermenters.

• Been making my lagers and pilsners down here because mid winter is the only time it gets cold enough for a lager yeast to work properly. Really considering a 50l braumeister myself. The mrs wanted to know what I'd do if the process was automated. I told here I'd work on the kegs in the kegerator.

• :D

Lot of cash and a three phase circuit needed.

• edited August 2014

@rossco said: Been making my lagers and pilsners down here because mid winter is the only time it gets cold enough for a lager yeast to work properly. Really considering a 50l braumeister myself. The mrs wanted to know what I'd do if the process was automated. I told here I'd work on the kegs in the kegerator.

Check this guy out here.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @rossco said: Been making my lagers and pilsners down here because mid winter is the only time it gets cold enough for a lager yeast to work properly. Really considering a 50l braumeister myself. The mrs wanted to know what I'd do if the process was automated. I told here I'd work on the kegs in the kegerator.

Haha:) I told the mrs I would be able to brew and clean the house.... I sold my soul for a brau and maybe the ato will be short 3500k this month ;O They know Im good for it.

@Smaug WOW...some very nice kit there

• He uses our product condensers and a few other ancillary parts for attaching a pot head for distilling on the grain.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited August 2014

Lot of cash and a three phase circuit needed.

You cant take it with you, and I know a sparky who also happens to be a drunk??

@Smaug WOW...some very nice kit there

You got that right. CF your approach to BIAB is way more developed than mine.

• Tame sparky, you lucky bastard. :-O

I have a tame mechanic and a tame plasterer. A tame plumber even. But i'd love to have a tame sparky.

• Yeah me best mate bred him. Worked out OK. :D

• At the 18th of a good mates young fella i watched grow up last week. He's nearly a linesman, not gunna be a sparkie anyway.

Close but so far away. :((

• @punkin said: At the 18th of a good mates young fella i watched grow up last week. He's nearly a linesman, not gunna be a sparkie anyway.

Close but so far away. :((

He could do a dual trade as a Liney and Sparky. We have a quite few on this side of the river.

@cunnyfunt you have an awesome setup in your mancave. I could stare at your brewing gear all day. So much bling and all too clean :D

• Thank ya. I will take some pics of a few smudges and fingermarks on the bling for you. :) I'm at the point where I am really happy with my setup. I have spent more than I wanted recently but I'm thinking it's a small step in getting my technique and experience sorted just in case I ever want to go pro with a very small craft distillery sometime in the next decade. I have some really close friends in Web design, marketing and accounting that are very keen after long pissy conversations. It kinda makes sense. They just need a pro still monkey. Give me another 20 years at it and maybe I will.

• Ideally I should be working on a product I can produce from locally sourced produce like rum, mango liquor or maybe a mango vodka. I think I'm kidding myself on producing a marketable single malt:)

• @cunnyfunt said: Ideally I should be working on a product I can produce from locally sourced produce like rum, mango liquor or maybe a mango vodka. I think I'm kidding myself on producing a marketable single malt:)

I know your pain. I'm living in the wheat belt of South Australia this spring I want to try out some wheat vodka stuff.

• edited August 2014

Damn you. I will swap you wheat fields for sugar cane fields. I'm not into making rum...

Although I have been looking at doing a fresh sugar cane rum mash to see what I get.

Mango and fresh sugar cane rum fermented in flying fox poop?! Stfu cunnyfunt you go funny when you've been drinking!!

• I'm all good thanks mate I'm going to keep the wheat fields. But you should try a fresh sugar cane wash might be really nice. I cant see it being worse than last years molasses. That's what most of us get from the feed store.