StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Element Guards

My apologies to anyone that purchased a SD element guard lately. I accidentally put in the wrong size cable gland during the assembly of the last production of 400 guards.

They should have been PG16 but I ordered and put in PG13.5. Silly me!

Almost 300 were sold before anyone mentioned it to me. I've sent some PG16 glands to USA and will do the same for Australia on Punkin's next express order in a few weeks.

If this has been a problem for you, Please ask your SD distributor to add a correct cable glad free on your next order.

Starting a new run of 400 guards and I've ordered an improved end cap based on customer feedback. The big center hole will increase a mm in diameter so an even larger cable gland can be used, if desired (well, that's the plan). The hole will be set off-center to allow more room for the grounding lug. No minor feat that as it's a whole lot easier to lathe out a hole in the center of an end cap than off-set from center.

And the correct PG16 glands are here and waiting for assembly so no mistakes this time!

Tagged:

Comments

• I used my new dremel to make my last cable gland fit nice and snug no problems just made it more fun to put together ;)

• They are such a good innovation that are just the latest in a long list of our products that others are copying.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I love em best idea I've seen

• Well, total worldwide reserves of element guards are less than 100 units now (with too small cable gland :-L ) and about half of the parts of the next batch of 400 units have arrived already.

Time to get busy as it takes me and Tan awhile to assemble all the pieces into an element guard kit.

But fortunately it's no rush, though the glands got buggered last time the guards are good in stock until the next batch can be processed.

If we do run out of element guards again I think it will be very temporary this time.

We're slowly getting better at keeping parts in stock.

• Not me, i had a rush and have only a couple left.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• The cable I used was bigger anyway. So would have still needed to buy a bigger one anyway. And was really the least of my worries.

By the way Larry. The controller DIY kits have the same small ones in it.

• Got it. Thanks P

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I ment to ask you about that back when I did it. Must have forgotten. Sory.

• edited May 2013

@Prairiepiss said: I ment to ask you about that back when I did it. Must have forgotten. Sory.

Do I need to send you some when they arrive P?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• No I don't need them.

• @punkin said: They are such a good innovation that are just the latest in a long list of our products that others are copying.

=D> Well said. I only found it a problem as the nuts wouldn't attach. Gland size itself dosn't worry me. Cheers Punkin, put me down for a few next time!.

Lloyd, is it possible to use a different style of lug to aviod having to offset the hole? Offsetting the hole would be a PITA to do.

• @emptyglass said:

Too late, 400 end caps arrived today with the offset hole.

Now the assembly can begin.

• We got everything setup, removed distractions like TV, internet and having a life and we assembled half of the element guards today and hoping to complete the remaining guards tomorrow.

Then on to the remaining SGKs to be assembled, thermotees needing made, Gin Baskets to be finished and boxed, 8" glass column completed and boxed, more bubble caps and downcomers to arrive and be assembled, etc, etc, etc...

Fair warning folks, I've promised Tan a couple of weeks of travel around this great country and someday soon I'll be offline and out of touch for 2 weeks or more. May be a month, maybe two from now before we can break away so if you need something you'd better speak up now.

It's been a long while since we went touring, it was a long winter this year and it's good to get away for awhile. Living in hotels has a way of making a person appreciate home, even after the cabin fever that we're feeling now.

• Amen to that Lloyd!Enjoy yourself.

It is what you make it!

• That'll be good for both of you mate.

• Sounds nice Lloyd. Hopefully you'll post a few pics of your road trip when you get back?

• Good idea, a few pictures of me would brighten up this forum =)) =))

• I received my element guard and started to assemble my new element. The gland was definitely too small so I picked up a new one. And drilled the plate to accept the new fitting. I will need to relocate the ground bolt hole and re tap. My question is what size cable do most of you use for you element? I have a 10 ga/ 3 wire for mine. Do most run a smaller cable? Also what is the slot for is that to run the grn wire outside the enclosure? Thx Nake

• 10ga!

It is what you make it!

• Nake that is a weep hole in case ya have a leak you can see it!

It is what you make it!

• Ok very good! Thx bentstick

• Definitely stick with the 10 GA. if you have 4500 or 5500 W element.

• Make sure to install the weephole at the bottom, and cut the silicon gasket to expose the hole. There has been a good suggestion from a sparkie to replace the triclamp handle with a hex nut too, to stop easy access to the wiring.

• Got it all sorted. I run a 5500 w element and stayed with the 10 ga. I was able to use the existing ground lug hole by grinding the lock ring for the gland nut just enough. I situated the tri clamp thumb nut for access to the wiring down toward the ground and the other one up, so I don't access the wiring as easily. It sure is a nice tidy little package. Looks much cleaner. I situated the weep hole down but didn't cut the gasket. Easy enough to fix. Thanks for your help and guidance. Cheers, Nake

• I have been very happy the EG, other than cable gland/strain relief. Good to hear there have been some improvements. Robert

• edited June 2013

Lloyd, getting suitable elements can sometimes be a problem. However, most folks could probably find a source for the bendable element rods themselves. Typically these are 8 mm and all they need is a compression fitting with no end stop to make a waterproof seal.

So how about a tri clamp blank with 2 (or 4) compression adaptors welded in place. When your element burns out just cut off the old one, bend a new rod and fit with new compression olives. Length and power rating depends on which rods you buy.

More versatility.

elements.jpg
    800 x 617 - 52K
  • I havn't seen them before, where can they be got?

• I haven't seen them either.

• edited June 2013

Sorry I thought these sort of things were available everywhere. A lot of catering equipment, bain maries, ovens etc uses bare elements - as opposed to elements moulded into a base. This is just an example of a supplier. Many different lengths and power ratings available - suitable for dry or wet use.

Universal Bendable Heating Elements

Because it is difficult in the UK to get 1" elements, I am already thinking about a way to build a 42mm reuseable element base, for a no-weld solution in a 50 litre keg, using a 1.5" internal threaded Essex compression fitting.

Its not too bad on a 100 litre keg, you can use a UK standard 2.25" element, but they are too big for a 50 litre keg.

self build element2.png
    779 x 587 - 4K
  • edited June 2013

LoO checkout page 4 of the Tobins catalogue or page 20 of the stokes catalogue