StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

New Gear SOON !!!!

Comments

• I can't make cuts by smell, i can easily make them by taste though.

You start with the taste of nail polish remover in the foreshots, then it moves into the heads that have a bit of toner about them, but the late heads have a characteristic sweetness.

Once the sweetness starts to fade that is where i make my cuts, the next jar will only be a couple hundred mls and will be an iffy, but after that you can switch to bigger jars as the sweetness (heads) will be gone.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• The neutral I have in the freezer has no nose to it when cold (1st gen tpw) however I think it may have some heads in it

I want what ive just made to be oderless and tasteless, I may just run it all back through tonight and then do my cuts from there

Still need to run some bourbon though and let it age

• Got your parcel today thanks mate.

Was disappointed there wasn't a little present in there of some sort.

Toy soldier, biscuit, love note...something. :))

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Got your parcel today thanks mate.

Was disappointed there wasn't a little present in there of some sort.

Toy soldier, biscuit, love note...something. :))

I was going to send some neutral but it wouldn't have been upto your standard and I know you only drink beer :p

I just broke my alcometer so will order a set off you next weekend

Will pop down to the homebrew shop tomorrow and try get a new one

Means no brewing for me tonight

• Lift up your wings and fly, son.

You don't need no stinkin alcometer.

beatenbygirl1.jpg
    700 x 497 - 57K

• edited June 2014

@punkin is right you don"t need a alcometer. Spread them wings and be freeeeeeeeee

• Lol, I decided to give it a clean down as the plates have a whack of sulfide buildup

The tubes in the shotgun are black so will get some new bottle brushes tomorrow and clean that as well

• Right currently running my 2nd distill of the vodka I ran the other night, no alcometer :s

Boiler is charged with about 20L of 28% and the still is fully clean

I put 6L in so max I get out it 6L and then ill have 14L covering my element (can go down to 10L if need be but I prefer to run safe and hit 12L at the max)

Hopefully this stuff comes out good :)

I played with how I have my plates in the tees to see if that makes a difference

• Longest slowest run ive ever done, still got another 7jars to go and have keep at the same speed pretty much the whole way

Had to dial back the rc to get the parrot to work though as I left it at the speed id taken fores at for 2hrs and it still wouldn't fill up :s

• Think I need to get 2 more plates and a packed section so that I can make vodka better

Don't think ill make anymore TPW will switch to wheat based vodka I think

Not sure if I can get my neutral like how I want it with the just the 4 plate sections even with double distillation but will do tasting and cuts tomorrow when it airs out

• I put some neutral on oak to see how it goes

Also tasted the 4day old apple brandy on french oak and wow if its this good now cant wait until it ages more :p

• Tried to tell ya. Very few big commercial distilleries can compete with a hobbyist or micro distillery that makes good cuts. The really big commercial outfits don't want to waste a single drop.

• @Lloyd said: Tried to tell ya. Very few big commercial distilleries can compete with a hobbyist or micro distillery that makes good cuts. The really big commercial outfits don't want to waste a single drop.

yeah the Brandy I guessed the cuts but its paid off so far haha, still tasting alittle sharp but its getting there just needs longer to mellow out

• Its only been sitting 4 days mate! :))

• Yeah, but anything over 2 hours old is considered aged. At least in my cupboard :D

• edited June 2014

@Lloyd said: Yeah, but anything over 2 hours old is considered aged. At least in my cupboard :D

Yeah I was drinking 1 day old double distilled neutral last night haha

Having issue's letting it age :p

• Currently filtering some lemoncello :s

The neutral on oak doesn't taste the greatest atm so itll be sitting for awhile I think (what I tasted put me off)

Brandy I am avoiding drinking (want to let it age longer)

Apple pie is almost a week old but dam is it strong (50%) do people water it down or?

RPD I made up but I think it needs more syrup its around 40% atm (300ml 90% apple brandy, 100ml syrup and 300ml water) have added more sugar to the fruit so will increase the amount of syrup to taste

Also have it airing atm

• edited June 2014

Apple Pie shouldn't be anywhere near that strong. It starts of tween 40-50% at most and then is watered down by the apples and sugar.

Wineo's Apple Pie @ AD

I don't know how anyone can drink oak aged neutral.

• @punkin said: Apple Pie shouldn't be anywhere near that strong. It starts of tween 40-50% at most and then is watered down by the apples and sugar.

Wineo's Apple Pie @ AD

I don't know how anyone can drink oak aged neutral.

Yeah I started off with 50% neutral and added apples and sugar, not 100% sure what the percent is atm so will chuck the alcometer in it when it turns up :p

Thinking ill get it down to at least 40% (I may drink it with lemonade)

The Oaked neutral was an expirement that isn't turning out well

I may have to get some flavouring (NOT KEEN) from the HBS and salvage it

Getting desperate for some bourbon but havent had time to do a run of it yet and still need to let it age

The panty droppers I think ill need to water down more (its at about 45% atm but needs more sugar)

I have some 40% lemoncello in the freezer atm thats tasting pretty good :)

• Once you add sugar to the booze your alcoholmeter will not read correctly.

• @Lloyd said: Once you add sugar to the booze your alcoholmeter will not read correctly.

Yeah I relized that when i got home and got my new meters out

I started with 50% of neutral chucked it into a quart jar added one of each apple (2 apples total) 1/2cup of raw sugar and 3 cinnamon sticks

Guessing itll be around 40% now?

I just took 200ml of this off and added it to 100ml of 2:1 sugar syrup (guessing itll be around 30% now?)

The lemoncello I made was

600Ml 92% abv with lemon extract 600ml water with 600g of sugar in it

So should be about 40%?

The Panty dropper will need to be watered down I think as its at least 45% and needs more syrup added

• There is a calculator on the calculator thread called Pearsons Square. It will give you the abv of different % alcohols mixed together like your limencello.

It won't really calculate sugar as it's about liquid additions. If you make your sugar into a syrup before adding it, the calc will work though.

• @Clickeral seems your keen to do some full on sampling what what you have made so far... Everything (almost) gets better with age, just keep fermenting and running stuff through and you will have that much built up that you can have a few rest periods. Start with a basic neutral, and don't stress about trying a few flavours from the home brew shop so you have something to drink while the "real" stuff is getting done. I went the same way, and honestly my favourite drink is still after 3 years, neutral oaked for a few months then rye whisky essence added. ( I come from Canadian Club dinking) . Even my mates pick that over bought scotch or my grain long term brew!

My wife love home made melon, again HB essence based, same as few other drinks.

I make a "real" coffee drink that's ok after a week or so, but fantastic after several months or more (make 10lt at a time)

I recommend you make yourself something to drink with what you have, then progress to the rest, the main thing is that it seems to take forever, but once you start bit by bit, you finish up with a shit load of product that can actually age and be very very very good.

fadge

• That moment when you are up and still running at 84% ABV but thinking about going to bed :S

• Something wicked this way comes....

• Yeah I was making weetbix/allbran vodka, think I need 5-6 plates and a packed section to do it properly however.

Otherwise I will have to do double runs

I'm letting it air atm however so it may be clean enough as is (otherwise it might be a white whiskey flavour)

I've nearly got enough product to do a 2nd distill for neutral (might run it twice and see what triple distilled is like)

Been thinking that I may get a 2 element milk can off you later on and turn my current one into a mash tun :p

Got any false bottoms for the milkcans?

Still thinking I need a 4" extension for the bottom plate as well

More things to buy lol, may wait a little however as I just brought a new motorbike haha :D

• I don't have false bottoms no. You would need a hinged one maybe try Jay at Norcal?

• edited June 2014

@punkin said: I don't have false bottoms no. You would need a hinged one maybe try Jay at Norcal?

Also give this fellow a good look

All-in-1 Brew in a Conical (BIAC) @ BREWHA Equipment Co.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Currently doing a Neutral run atm (tpw plus the leftovers from my last run)

Will be distilling it again on Thursday ( Will be doing a CFW tomorrow night should get 6 jars out of it (2 on oak and 1 to make up and 1 to store) the rest will get added to the neutral run

Hoping it helps it have a better mouth feel :)