StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

New Gear SOON !!!!

Comments

• edited May 2014

Whats the number one rule when playing with electricity

Treat everything as live

Just wired up my power controller (still need to put it in the box) wired it to handle 10-16Amps but it'll only see 10Amp max atm

Got my surge protected plug box with a master switch on it plugged into the wall. Thinking that if it surges then the box will trip and ill be ok

Switch at the wall is on, switch on the plug box isn't

Go to pick up the controller and the POT plugging it in at the same time as i'm going to run a multimeter over it

240V tickles me for about a second as I drop the pot and rip out the plug

Won't do that again :s

Should have realized the pot without the knob on it would conduct a current

Will put it into the box now and then test (what a muppet :s)

• @Clickeral you only get a limited number of those opportunities (near misses) before you don't get to write about it. Not sure the pot should be live either, maybe someone else can answer that. But if the pot is live and this is normal for that SSR type and pot configuration then maybe some warnings might need to be made here about wet hands/wet floor/bare feet etc. And if that is the case get a pot with a plastic shaft.

• @Mickiboi said: Clickeral you only get a limited number of those opportunities (near misses) before you don't get to write about it. Not sure the pot should be live either, maybe someone else can answer that. But if the pot is live and this is normal for that SSR type and pot configuration then maybe some warnings might need to be made here about wet hands/wet floor/bare feet etc. And if that is the case get a pot with a plastic shaft.

Yeah I know I'll be more careful in future, I've only electrocuted myself once before and I've been super careful since

Clearly I am relaxing a little to much atm

Main reason I posted it is so people will learn from my mistakes

• @Clickeral dude slow down there is no rush mate you have waited this long. This reminds me of a sparky who came to my house to do some work for me about year or so ago it was to upgrade some power points and to wire my shed. He was in such a hurry that at about 10am he got him self electrocuted so of to the hospital he went. Came back for a second go and did it again. I was like WTF off he goes again to the hospital. When he returned again I told him to GTO. I had a different sparky come around terns out the guy had some wires the rong way or something and he was no rookie. Just in a hurry.

• edited May 2014

+1 @Drunkas I was going to say the same thing. It's exciting to have all the gear now but it sounds like you need to just step back and take a breath. The tally so far is 2 chipped sight glasses and a mild electrocution. It will all come together so just relax and enjoy the process. :)

• @unsub said: +1 Drunkas I was going to say the same thing. It's exciting to have all the gear now but it sounds like you need to just step back and take a breath. The tally so far is 2 chipped sight glasses and a mild electrocution. It will all come together so just relax and enjoy the process. :)

Am trying to just hard :p

• You should keep several of the sight glasses on hand.... same with hydrometers... if you have spares they don't commit suicide .....

• @unsub said: The tally so far is 2 chipped sight glasses and a mild electrocution.

:)) =)) You guys crack me up.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: You guys crack me up.

I would say it was barely a shock tbh, was just a tickel and I am still alive this morning :p

However I'm not keen to have it happen again

• So glad I got a new hydrometer and Alcometer from @punkin

Previous hydrometer is a prick to read

So I have 2 batches of 26L 9.3-10% TPW 1 batch of 28L 6.7% cider/brandy

Will check my modified CFW tonight but should have 2 batches of 15L

• Someones gonna get toasted.... and i know who :D

• edited May 2014

@FullySilenced said: Someones gonna get toasted.... and i know who :D

Toasted as in Drunk, electrocuted or Toasted as in my Brandy and CFW is getting put on toasted oak?? :p

The TPW will probably give me 8-10L of 45% after a strip and spirit run (cuts on the spirit run) once I water it down

Brandy will give me about 4L of 45% (will probably age at a higher abv) like the CFW below

And I'll probably get about 4L of 45% bourbon or about 2L of 90% Ill be watering it down to 63% so 2L of 63% on Oak and then the last 1L will get watered down to 1.4L.

1L to age as white whiskey and then 400ML to taste ;)

• @Clickeral all I ever use is edge chipped lenses. We cull any that have chips and after vending thousands of them I have quite a little collection, probably 20 to 30 or so. Haven't had one leak yet.

• @Lloyd said: Clickeral all I ever use is edge chipped lenses. We cull any that have chips and after vending thousands of them I have quite a little collection, probably 20 to 30 or so. Haven't had one leak yet.

Thats what I like to hear unless they leak I will be leaving them alone and tbh it adds character to the still and makes it unique, just like any scratches or dents

I really need to give mine a polish once I've broken her in :)

Fingers crossed my element is here tonight and I can do the cleaning run and my first stripping run :D

• Save the first 1/2 cup of fores/early heads and use it to polish your SS or glass with a soft cloth. Beware of anything abrasive as the fine scratches are almost impossible to buff out.

I always keep a small bottle of this "cleaner" handy. Its especially useful for polishing the tiles in the bathroom, too. Removes soap scum and water spots. Its also a natural disinfectant in the kitchen. Its a cheap but useful by-product for us distillers.

• edited May 2014

Should this be on the bottle?

poison-stencil-sign.jpg
    250 x 250 - 17K
  • Yes. Since we never ever have small kids around we just write "Cleaner" on the bottle with a magic marker.
    Thinking I should print a few of those skull and crossbones stickers (in case she tries to cook again @-) )

• so its plugged in and humming

Am using the 4800W element at half power due to the 2400W not arriving today

Been on for 30mins with 24L of water the temp guage isn't moving

Not sure if its working or not :s

The Element can be wired as positive and neutral right? it should ground on the guard kit

Does it have a specific + and - terminal??

• Ignore that just realized I tripped my 10Amp breaker on my plug board lol so it hasn't been on and the humming was in my head haha

At least it worked and didn't let me overload my safety limit

• Go and find a electrician NOW

• The 2 terminals on your element are not polarized. Either can be used for the hot.
    If I'm wrong then I've wired all three of mine wrong and they are working perfectly.

• Hey @lloyd I thought that was the case just double checking

@olddog I have my sparky from work sitting next to me atm everything is fine :) thanks for the concern though

The reason I have a trip installed is so I cant run more then 10amps for any reason

• At 62C atm with the water and vinegar god this is slow to heatup

Really need to look into a better power source so I can run full tit

• 79.3C I think, the temp probe is on the side of my boiler as the temp probe in my drain port says its at 33.4C

I can't hear boiling yet however, 3 and a half sight glasses have condensation on atm

I have contacted a company about a step up transformer that will take 2x 240V 10amp outlets (on separate fuses) and step it up to 480v and 10amp

So I can run 4800Watts of power

I have also emailed a company about getting a 2nd element port welded onto my boiler (should have asked Punkin :s) so I can run 2x 2400w elements to heat up (again using separate outlets)

• @Clickeral said: 79.3C I think, the temp probe is on the side of my boiler as the temp probe in my drain port says its at 33.4C

I can't hear boiling yet however, 3 and a half sight glasses have condensation on atm

I have contacted a company about a step up transformer that will take 2x 240V 10amp outlets (on separate fuses) and step it up to 480v and 10amp

So I can run 4800Watts of power

I have also emailed a company about getting a 2nd element port welded onto my boiler (should have asked Punkin :s) so I can run 2x 2400w elements to heat up (again using separate outlets)

Step up transformers???? Running on 2 10 amp circuits???? Just get a dedicated 20 amp circuit put in and use the 4800 watt element with controller. By the time you buy the transformer, get the 2 2400 watt elements you are probably going to be close to what you spend anyway on those other components and getting an extra port welded in. And what you have will always be a compromise. Get your electrician mate that was there this afternoon to do it and give him some product.

• Patience Grasshopper.
    After 3 runs you will know EVERYTHING. Til then you know NOTHING.
    Please remember that.

This from someone with hundreds of runs under his belt and freely admits that I know less than most. Cause I'm so damn modest >:D<

So glad you are finally distilling. I've been pulling for you!

• Still on my cleaning run atm (water and Vinegar)

I can't get a plug wired in as I am renting atm and not buying a house until next year

I would love a 30Amp outlet right now :S

It's just taking alot longer then I thought to heat up :S

I'll call it quits at 10pm and start again tomorrow at 5 when I get home, I am wondering now if I am actually running at the full 2400W

Hopefully my 2400W element turns up tomorrow and I'll install that

Run it at full blast, should take about an 67mins according to the calculator

• Amp meter?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited May 2014

@Smaug said: Amp meter?

Yeah battery died lol

• edited May 2014

@Clickeral said: Still on my cleaning run atm (water and Vinegar)

I can't get a plug wired in as I am renting atm and not buying a house until next year

Sorry mate didn't realise you were renting. I apologise.