StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Lallemand Distillers Yeasts

2»

Comments

• @drunkas: yes, a homedistiller could walk both ways, bakers yeast is working, no doubt. (As I said, I know one profi distiller, who claims, he uses bakers yeast for his whisky. It is a alternative product, he tries do do as natural as possible, all organic and the whisky is not filtered. He has gained 93 of 100 points at an international competition with this. He is also a guy, who learned distilling from scratch in Ireland and Scotland, he wanted to do something different than the big players, with his niche products.)

But even, when it is a hobby, some people want to do as good as possible, if the yeast is the key to it, why not? Compared to the costs of the whole equipment, the yeast is a small part of it.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• I think most of us, around the world, have a problem getting a variety of fresh yeast in small quantities. If you need 100 Kg of one strain then there are definitely companies that will get it to you but if you want 5 or 10 types of 50 to 100 grams each then you hit a wall because the big yeast companies are very much not interested in selling small quantities.

The homebrew shops know this and charge (gouge) you accordingly. They typically do not stock specialty yeast that is meant for distillers. And they cannot order a specialty yeast for you without meeting the minimum order so you get hit twice - once for buying way more than you want and hit again by the homebrew shops' excessive markup.

Punkin has stepped up, yet again, to help fill in these gaps to his customers, and as he said, he is making beans on the bulk yeast buy but to get certain strains the bulk buy is the game that needs to be played. He is only asking if there is enough interest to risk his money to stock it.

He paved the way with oak dominoes and now SD customers can enjoy them in USA because of his effort. I see nothing wrong with all SD distributors following his lead on this.
    It would please me to no end if we had a wonderful yeast strain that was only available through StillDragon and could compete well against anything else out there in both quality and price. But one small step at a time...

Damn, now I'll wake up in the morning with groggy dreams of SD Yeast in little packets 8->

• @ Lloyd: yeast for the homebrewing community is very common here in Europe. It is not too expensive, although people can order small quantities. I would also like to have yeast in our listings, Lallemand is also here in Austria, but as you said, a own StillDragon strain would be a dream - but how this could be in a perfect and safe way accomplished is surely a different story. We have seen other yeast companies on DRINKTEC, but back then, we had other things to look at. Luckily we have all the company contacts and when there is time, we can try to find out more about the other yeast producers - perhaps one of them could define a special StillDragon strain then?

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• I'm thinking 1 part bakers to 2 parts EC1118 with some enzyme thrown in :))
    Oops, sorry, the Strand Empire already did that. =))

But seriously, our own yeast strain is probably years down the road but til then we could do as Punkin is trying to do - make specialty distilling yeasts and enzymes that are hard for the average folk to source a little easier to get.

You, @Sunshine say you have a great variety of easy to get yeast strains so perhaps you will become a valued resource. If so, you bring much to the table.

In my little mind, fermenting is half of the job while distilling and aging is the other half. Actually bottling and selling is a whole nother ballfield as any pro distiller will tell you.

Yeast expense is typically nominal in the big scheme of things for most distillers but as @Drunkas mentioned if it can increase the hearts cut it is worth the extra bucks spent.
    The right yeast in the ferment can mean the difference between good and great.

But there are so many other factors that make a great ferment. The ingredients used, the temperatures at every stage, the O2 level, the pH, the phase of the moon...

There is no doubt in my mind that Punkin is trying to raise the bar by wanting to add specialty yeast and enzymes to his offerings.

Its up to his clientele if it is warranted or not. I'm really hoping that more folks chime in and are willing to read through the entire thread and voice if they want it or not. If not, I'd not like for Punkin to waste his money but if yes I'd surely like for folks to have the freedom of more yeast choices that he wants to offer.

• edited April 2014

Punkin interested in the rum yeast if you can get a bulk buy together. I've also been using the same EC1118 block for years I just drop the first 500ml white shit in some dex give it a shake and leave it in the dark for a day. Fires back up within a day or so. Only had to re-pitch a couple of times when I dumped the grain bed. Interesting to read that mutation comment again, I've read it often around the distillers boards, but the AHB boys recon it is bullshit. In the Hill ATM will drop in on the way home & say g'day. Rossco.

• I'll look forward to it Rossco. Hopefully you'll be able to drop in and stay one evening for a few beers sometime in the future. B-)

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited April 2014

The way I see it, I do two strip runs for a whiskey spirit run using EC1118, where it takes 3 strips to get basically the same charge for the spirit run using bakers yeast for rum. What it comes down to for me is how much is my time worth? Cheap for me because I have to set up and pack up each time. Rossco

• @rossco said: The way I see it, I do two strip runs for a whiskey spirit run using EC1118, where it takes 3 strips to get basically the same charge for the spirit run using bakers yeast for rum.

This thread has a fair bit information and some varied reasoning's why we all used different methods to produce. It has certainly raised my awareness in regards to yeast and I'm now wondering if it may be worth my time and money to make a change, the 500gm would last me for very long time from the sounds of the discussions. Just chuck it in the freezer to keep is that correct?

fadge

• edited April 2014

From an article at Lallemand. I found this interesting as I have never ever considered freezing my yeast. After all it is still a living organism. -

I have always frozen my dried yeasts after purchase and before use. I have not noticed any detriment to the final product, but I seem to remember reading somewhere in that past year or so not to freeze dry yeast, perhaps even on a package. Is it acceptable to freeze dry yeast or is there some detriment to the practice?

Cheers, Mike Dixon

RESPONSE:

Mike,
    You are right; we had stated in our old technical data sheet that dry yeast should not be frozen. However in the last 3 years we had a project running to optimize storage conditions for dried yeast. We stored several lots of vacuum packed dried yeast at room temperature, in a refrigerator and in a freezer and determined viability, vitality and fermentation performance every 3 month for two years. The results indicated that freezing the yeast does not harm the yeast but is even better than storing the yeast at room temperature. BUT for all storage temperatures it is very important that the yeast is still vacuum sealed. Air/oxygen is doing more damage to the yeast than any difference in storage temperature.

Regards,

Forbes & Tobias

• I've always stored yeast in the beer fridge. I know it works and up until recently i'd never heard of anyone storing it in the freezer.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Hi all

If anyone's still looking for Lallemand EDV493 (Distillamax), Karen, the friendly lady running this eshop has 300g left in 100g lots for $35NZ ea - free delivery to Oz

If you ask nicely she may also be able to source 500g blocks for $140NZ - expensive I know but I decided to try it to see if it's worth the cost

Interestingly it comes from IMCD in Rosehill - wholesalers - account sales only

Cheers

• @punkin

Just wanted to revive this thread. I just got pricing back direct from Lallemand, and it was much cheaper than what was stated early on in this thread. Not sure how they feel about me publishing a complete price list, but I'll tell you that a brick (500g) of DistilaMax DS is only $10

• I'll definitely be interested. If it works out count me in.

• Our direct Lallemand BDS prices are unbeatable - we have a commercial account.

The price difference is shocking.

I may start buying in 10kg volume. The DS price difference isn't big, but the others are more substantial.

• @DocPorter said: punkin

Just wanted to revive this thread. I just got pricing back direct from Lallemand, and it was much cheaper than what was stated early on in this thread. Not sure how they feel about me publishing a complete price list, but I'll tell you that a brick (500g) of DistilaMax DS is only $10

I never got pricing anywhere near that, if you email me the contact i can look at setting a fridge aside for some yeasts to be stocked again.

• edited June 2016

@punkin said: I never got pricing anywhere near that, if you email me the contact i can look at setting a fridge aside for some yeasts to be stocked again.

I would be keen on a brick of each strain :)

• If be interested to tag along on this train... If you could advertise the end cost to consumers, I'd appreciate it.

• OT: My grandmother used to keep an active yeast in her fridge for all her backing. Wish she was still here to figure out how/why that worked for her