StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Disinfecting a Barrel ?

2»

Comments

• ok, just saw this thread... use steam to seal a barrel, then fill it to the top with alcohol, and maybe spray some on the entire outside, I would like to see a nasty live through that... do NOT burn a sulfur stick in a used alcohol barrel as you would a wine barrel the thing WILL blow up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5jQlWiG4ac

more on the background story

• So a little thermite is a no-no, too? :))

'ole boys sink old used barrels in the creek for a few days, so i'm tole, to swell em up good an tight.

Pinhole leaks can be fixed with hammering in a toothpick or wooden matchstick. Slather on a dab of hot wax. A leak along the stave can usually be fixed by hammering along the staves with a mallet.

OP question:

Used bourbon barrel,,,,, used for aging beer. Evidently the barrel has been empty long enough to warrant bacteria concern about charging with another round of beer. How will a good soak in 70% rum affect the usability of another beer batch?

I'd say get the barrel fit for aging spirits and then age some spirits for as long as your heart can allow. Only after then should you consider putting beer into it. Just my inflation adjusted 1.5 cents worth.
    So according to your plan, looks to me like you already have the idea of the best way to go.

• rossco I got to ask what are you talking about. Steaming a wooden keg so it can be sanitized or making a bome.???

Nah flaming out a keg that had previously had port in it. I did this because everything I put in there tasted kind of like cloves. BTW the keg turned out really well, ATM it has single run UJSSM in it that is dated Jan 13. It is really good. Rossco.

• I agree @rossco, cloves is a flavor that dominates and is impossible, at least for me, to remedy if a tad too much was used. A little goes a VERY long way. I assume it was from spiced rum before the barrel held port?

• Ok...

My winery has over 100 barrels, and i've worked in wineries with over 10,000...

Use steam. You won't bend or warp it the barrel, you'll be fine. Leave a steam wand in for 15 minutes, remove, and put the bung in...hard. Wait for it to cool, it'll form a vacuum and suck out what's in the wood (you'll be surprised how much).

Do this twice (or three if you REALLY want to), and your barrel will be clean and sanitised. You may need to give it a quick rinse out for heavy solids.

OR

Use a soft caustic solution such as Sodium Percarbonate (also called Fermabrite). And neutralise with Citric Acid after, then water. Then steam. That'll render your barrel completely neutral too...so the only benefit of that barrel will be the oxidative and insulative properties.