vodka 1 run at 95 or two runs?

Hi, we are in our planning stages of our commercial distillery and we are debating doing vodka on either 1 run to get to 95 or stripping then doing a spirit run. To get to 95 in one run, we would be using 10 plate SD 8". What we are wondering about is the taste profile of the vodka with only 1 run. I've never been able to do a single run to get to 95 before so i'm looking for some wise words. thanks

Comments

• I would plan for 2 runs. Once you get your equipment you can try 1 run and see the output per hour and flavor of just 1 run based on your ferment recipe and equipment. Then decide if you are happy with 1 run or not.

In my case the answer was no. Needs 2 runs to meet all my requirements for output and resulting spirits flavor.

• edited April 2014

Interesting, I was sort of thinking two runs mostly for output and flavour. So if we stripped on a 8" pot head that gives us 38%, would i still need to go 10 plates on the SD 8" to get to 95 on my spirit run?

• Yes. I strip on 10 plates to about 85% from 10%. Then I water back down to 40% and run again thru 10 plates to 95.5%.

You could pot still it to 38% and then to 95.5% 10 plates but I think you would carry over even more "Flavor" that you may or may not want.