StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Keeping your Stainless stainless

edited March 2014 in Usage

OK so I've installed a lovely mirror finish boiler and column, beautiful chrome-like finish and....4 runs in it's looking a bit sad with water dribbles encrusted into the surface which are a SOB to clean off. I'm certain some Smart Ass (in the UK we say 'arse' but I'm sure the rest of you will prefer the altenative - just trying to be cosmopolitan chaps) out there has a surefire way of shifting the marks without resorting to a power buffer. Come on SAs :-B

Comments

• LOL try Bar Keepers Friend line of products.

• Fores & tails?

Citric acid passivates SS, but may dull that mirror finish.

Should we chastise you for getting such a pretty toy dirty? (being a SA)

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• I also use heads and fores with a very soft cotton cloth. Works great and, for me, it's free!

• I am sure most know this but I thought I would just say that methanol will readily absorb into the skin making your skin melt off and leave you impotent. So saftey first and use gloves.

Dont qoute me on the impotent and skin thing but it can make you sick. I got bad fluid on a few of my joints from handling 90%+ strip run a few months back. I worked out it was the spirit because everytime I breathed it in and got it on my skin the fluid in the joint would increase instantly.

• yea, I rub my fores all over it, really hard.......

And I clean my boiler with dish washing soap.

• @cunnyfunt said: I am sure most know this but I thought I would just say that methanol will readily absorb into the skin making your skin melt off and leave you impotent. So saftey first and use gloves.

Dont qoute me on the impotent and skin thing but it can make you sick. I got bad fluid on a few of my joints from handling 90%+ strip run a few months back. I worked out it was the spirit because everytime I breathed it in and got it on my skin the fluid in the joint would increase instantly.

That's really good to know mate, i wasn't aware of that

• edited March 2014

Saw this recommended elsewhere today.

stainless-steel-wipes-viva.jpg
    186 x 368 - 12K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I use coffee filters between the output (both stripping and spirit runs) and the collection container. The "wet" coffee filters work great to wipe down the stainless boiler, stand, pot head, floor, etc.. to clean any splashes of wash or water off the equipment. This keeps the equipment clean and has the added benefit of keeping me awake!

RCY...

• If you realy want to keep you SS looking sweet wipe with the grain. So with pipe wipe around not up and down like your pulling you know what. By wiping with the grain if you do put any small skuffs or scratches you wont see em.

• What if the pipe is laying on its side and the grain is up and down? What then??

• @cunnyfunt said: What if the pipe is laying on its side and the grain is up and down? What then??

Round and round mate not up and down like you know what =))

• I will let the missus know