Steam Cleaning

edited March 2014 in Usage

I'm looking at using our steam generator to clean boiler (380Litre) and 11 plate Crystal Dragon column after running. I would introduce steam at the boiler outlet, and just let it run up, through the bubble plates, dephleg, product condenser and parrot until hot steam comes out of the parrot. This will certainly kill any bacteria and hopefully get rid of any lingering oils. Can any one see any problems with this? The generator runs at about 8 bar and we currently use it to sterilize all of our S/Steel brewing vessels.

Tagged:

Comments

• Sounds a good idea to me. I tend to do a steam clean every few runs, and certainly if the still has not been used recently. Are you intending to flush the boiler at the same time?

And here is another thought for you. Do you ever steam clean your coolant lines and flush the coolant side of your condensers?

• Yes, the boiler would be done at the same time. We'd just connect the steam hose to the outlet at the base of the boiler and keep going until piping hot steam comes out of the parrot. Probably then I would put some coolant through the product condenser so as to not fill the room with steam. It would also mean that we could keep the steam flowing through the column for longer. My main concern is the glass sections of the column. Is there a chance that they would crack? My feeling is no, but I was hoping that someone else had done it first, before I try it!

• This might sound stupid but why not just fill the boiler full of water and turn it on without any cooling water running through it. Wouldn't it fill the whole thing steam and sterilise it? Please don't abuse me for this comment, I'm new here

• edited March 2014

Not a stupid idea at all. With the elements that I have in the boiler it would need a charge of at least 150 litres to cover them. With the steam generator I can get by with about 15 litres, so it's a financial thing plus it's quicker. If we had a gas fired boiler it would probably be the way to go. I don't really see abuse as an option in this forum :)>-

• edited March 2014

Glass tends to crack when exposed to sudden temp changes, steam would need to be introduced a bit slower to allow the entire unit to come up to temp prior to blasting the actual cleaning run.

I have broken a few sight glasses that's no major issue.

I have also had at least 3 pyrox oven dishes crack and fall to pieces in my outdoor pizza oven when either taking them out and placing on a "cold" surface, or just top up a little water....the wife factor is significant.....the slow cooked roast that goes in the bin with bits of glass...the fkin mess to clean up.

These dishes are thick and strong, I'd err on the safe side with hitting your unit with steam if cold.

fadge

• With steam the warm up is gradual so I hope I'll be OK. (so long as I do not get my wife involved ?) :-B

• If you do the steam clean immediately after the run, then everything would still be hot. That should make breakages less likely. :)

• I can't see how it'll be much different to a normal heat cycle with a still charge the lenses heat up pretty quick, we've all had the experience (or most of us) of running a hand along a copper lyne arm as it heats up so quickly from cool to too hot to touch.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2014

True. Once the vapour starts to flow the temperature rises fast. I know this is a few years old now but this was for a glycol heated pot still (bain marie double boiler style).

Glycol bath temp (deg C) and vapour temp at high point of pot still vapour path vs time in min (multiply by 10) Just for example.

This was on an old hybrid pot still with an external coil dephlegmator above a scrubber packed riser. Long since retired and re-cycled for parts.

glycol1.jpg
    640 x 395 - 25K
    Photo005pot.jpg
    600 x 800 - 52K
  • edited March 2014

@Myles said: Long since retired and re-cycled for parts.

The story of my life.

If I was modular I would be more valuable, recycle-wise.

@Myles there is a looong heatup time for the boiler followed by a slow heatup of the first plate or two but after then the heat fills the remaining plates VERY quickly. As you said,

@Myles said: Once the vapour starts to flow the temperature rises fast.