PID Testing

edited March 2014 in Accessories

I am currently working with Lloyd towards getting automation available to the masses at a reasonable price, so I have been testing PIDs to find the best options for the project.
Up to this date I have been using the STC Rex series of PIDs which I found to do an excellent job and easy to understand menu to set up. The only trap is to make sure the unit you use has voltage output, not relay output, the voltage output can be connected to a SSR without the need for a low voltage transformer to drive the relay.
I ordered a Auber PID which seems to be a favorite for many, the drawbacks I found that it was more than twice the price than the REX series, cost me $20 to ship from the states, it has an over complicated manual, which needs re-reading many times to understand and set up.
I am currently testing a unit from a manufacturer who was good enough to send me a sample for testing, I am amazed at the quality of the unit which is a lot shallower in its body which will leave more space in the enclosure for other devices. It came as requested with voltage output, it will take all available sensors, it has a nice clean readout, the manual is easy to understand so setup takes about 2 minutes. Performance of this unit is comparable to the Auber pid and others on the market and the price is very competitive, Lloyd may be able to negotiate a better price for a quantity order, so currently this unit gets my vote.

OD

1.jpg
800 x 600 - 59K
2.jpg
800 x 600 - 57K
3.jpg
800 x 600 - 54K
Tagged:

Comments

• I'm only biased toward auber, due to the fact thats all I've had access to.... They do have a rascal of a menu I will say that much. Putting a panel together now actually that contains three pids

• To be fair, neither unit works better or worse in operational performance.

OD

• edited March 2014

I'm not implying that it is, after hearing that the units that you use are easier to program, I'm keeping my eyes out for one to try.

I literally just finished reading the auber pid manual for like the 5th time in my life. What a horrible day for manhood.... @-)

• Looks good OD. That appears to be about 1/2 the size of others I've been looking at.

• edited March 2014

@Cambo said:

I literally just finished reading the auber pid manual for like the 5th time in my life. What a horrible day for manhood.... @-)

Yeah It is a classic example of why techo's should not be allowed to write user manuals!

@olddog, nice find! Do they have a model that supports multiple steps? They are needed for programming multi-rest mash cycles if using a RIMS or HERMS.

IMHO, someone who is prepared to invest in a quality control panel is likely to also invest in quality ingredients in the search of quality product & is therefore also likely to do or get into all grain mashing as part of their journey. The SD control panel should cover that eventuality & provide multirest mash profiles which can also be used for those who brew AG beer too.

@olddog Drop me a PM with your email & I will send you some details.

• edited March 2014

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend visiting The Electric Brewery. Kal built up a nice unit that many, including myself have either directly copied or were inspired from. Of particular note he goes through much of setting up Auber PIDs in terms normal folk can understand, which is nice because I'm on board with not liking their user guides. However, their support and customer service are excellent.

• ^^^^ Plus one for their support and troubleshooting!!!

• edited March 2014

@Grudaire, I am aware of Kal's electric brewery, I have been a member of Curt Palme home theater forum for many years, and Kal is the admin guy there, he showed us his brewery setup years before the Electric Brewery site existed.
    I am not saying that the Auber range are a bad product, it's just that for a new PID user the manual is badly written and confusing, I have found that there are other units available that will do the same job for our purpose, cheaper, and with a manual that is a lot easier to understand. I have a Auber unit setup and running ATM but it took me a lot longer to initialise, and I have setup many PIDs.

@crozdog, yes ramp and soak PIDs should be available, they cost a bit more, but you can get them up to 30 steps.
    At the moment trial and research is going on to see what the best options for kits and complete units, like the SD boiler control, the aim is to be as easy and cost effective as possible.

OD

• Very interested in this OD, thanks for the good work

• @olddog - what does the manual mode look like on the controller...

• Which controller are you reffering to?

• the rex... when you have it up and running, do you use % power manual setting to drive the boiler? that is what homebrewers use the auber for...

• edited March 2014

That is not correct, the power output remains the same as you cannot vary the power output of a SSR it can only be done with a SSVR, the manual setting on Auber pids allows you to change the duty cycle, eg 60 = on 60 percent other time off 40 percent of the time. The power output from the SSR will be the same. All pids allow you to change the working cycle to achieve the same, but need more than the one touch setup that Auber use.

• With all due respect, the fact that an SSR is only an on/off device is important sometimes, but the boiler charge does not give a hoot if it is a phase angle controller or a quickly pulsed duty cycle giving juice to the element...

I am sorry, I was just trying to see how the REX showed the % duty cycle, I did not want to get drawn into a big conversation about technicalities, I am an electrical engineer, my friends with the Auber's are electrical engineers, I just wanted to know what it was like to use the REX in manual mode for comparison to the Auber...

• Sorry Cotherman Distilling, I was not being a smart ass in my reply, I was just not aware of your level of knowledge regarding PIDs so I answered your question in a way that folks with or without expertise would understand.

• No problem - can you give us an overview of how you like the manual control when you get a chance?

FYI - the other thing I like that auber has is this box... I made my own, but you can even get it pre-cut with the PID holes: Wall Mount Box for Three Controllers