StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Fine Scotch Whiskey

2»

Comments

• Brown foam through the parrot.

:-&

• edited June 2015

Assuming malt is completely covered in microbes (which is a pretty good assumption I think) - shouldn't we simply embrace the bugs?

From the Journal of Applied and Environmental Microbiology

Evolution of the Lactic Acid Bacterial Community during Malt Whisky Fermentation: a Polyphasic Study

Scotch malt whisky is distilled from the fermented hot-water extract of malted barley. The malted cereal is milled and infused with water (mashed) at about 63°C. After about 30 min, the first wort is removed, cooled, and pumped to the fermentation vessel. The second water, which is conducted at a higher temperature (about 75°C) to effect the maximal extraction of carbohydrate from the grist, is cooled and added to the first wort to fill the fermentation vessel. The wort is not boiled, as it is in a brewery in order to retain the activity of the soluble enzymes from the malt during the fermentation and to maximize alcohol yield. Consequently, bacteria from the malt that can survive mashing enter the fermentation, resulting in a mixed yeast-bacterial fermentation (11, 19). If large numbers of lactobacilli enter the fermentation (more than 106 cells/ml), they compete for nutrients with yeast cells and reduce the ethanol yield (9, 11, 20). In well-operated distilleries, however, the lactobacilli flourish after the yeast cells have reached stationary phase and grow on residual nutrients and autolysing yeast cells. This “late lactic fermentation” is encouraged by many distillers, since it is thought to have a beneficial effect on the flavor of the final spirit (13, 24).

In conclusion, we have shown that the Scotch whisky fermentation involves a changing community of bacteria starting with a diversity of cocci and rods and culminating in lactobacilli that fail to grow in or on standard laboratory media and are probably closely related to L. acidophilus or L. crispatus. The formation of lactic and acetic acids and other metabolites might have an effect on the flavor of the final spirit. Lactic acid reacts with ethanol during distillation to produce ethyl lactate, and spirits derived from long fermentations (greater than 55 h) in which lactic acid bacteria have flourished tend to have higher ester concentrations (13). It is possible that flavor could be modified by careful attention to the balance of the various bacteria present.

• edited June 2015

From Distilled Spirits, Volume 3, Chapter 7

The effects of lactic acid bacteria on the sensory characteristics of new-make Scotch whiskey

Read the results and conclusion on this one, it's incredibly eye opening.

• edited June 2015

It looks like scotch whiskey distillers can't keep lacto out of their shops, maybe they don't want to?:

From Microbiology:

Characterization of lactobacilli from Scotch malt whisky distilleries and description of Lactobacillus ferintoshensis sp. nov., a new species isolated from malt whisky fermentations

Although the basic process of malt whisky production is the same throughout Scotland, plant design and local practice vary. The Scotch whisky industry therefore provides a unique opportunity to examine the effects of these minor differences on the composition of the Lactobacillus flora in the distillery fermentations. Most fermentation samples examined contained a mixed bacterial flora, generally comprising two or three obviously different colonial types. Representatives of six species were isolated, with L. fermentum and L. paracasei the most common (17 and 16 isolates respectively). Strains of L. fermentum and L. paracasei were recovered from 13 of the 23 distilleries, of which eight distilleries harboured both. The 11 strains of L. brevis were recovered from nine distilleries, with a tendency to occur in the absence of L. fermentum and L. paracasei.

• And if your head isn't spinning yet, how about some Kimchi and Sour Dough?

From the Journal of the ASBC - The Science of Beer:

Bacterial Diversity in Scotch Whisky Fermentations

Analysis of fermentation samples from the Speyside malt whisky distillery by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis (DGGE) revealed numerous lactic acid bacteria including Lactobacillus fermentum, Weissella confusa, and strains related to Weissella kimchii. Fermentation samples from the Strathclyde grain distillery also contained L. fermentum in addition to a bacterium related to L. sanfrancisco. Comparison of these results with data from a previous study of the Glenkinchie malt whisky distillery confirmed that bacterial growth during the fermentations occurred in three phases. There was an initial phase during the first 50 hr that was characterized by declining diversity as rapid yeast growth ensued. This was followed by heterofermentative bacteria predominating, in particular L. fermentum in all three distilleries and weissellas in the Speyside distillery. Finally, homofermentative bacteria related to L. acidophilus and L. delbrueckii emerged in the malt whisky fermentations that practiced an extended fermentation period. This study extends the diversity of lactic acid bacteria associated with whisky fermentations and indicates new species that have yet to be obtained in laboratory culture.

• edited June 2015

Glenchinchie 12 year - best lowland single malt in 2013 world whiskey awards.

The piece above on new make (your really must read it) - one of the scientists from Nikka - Their 17 year won the world's best blended malt whiskey in the 2014 and 2015 world whiskey awards (and a few more a couple of years back). Bunch of awards at the international spirits challenge.

• A lot of interesting stuff there Grim.

Still can't get "Brown foam through the parrot" out of my head.

• So is it possible to single run this out the bubbler? Thinking 3 plates. This would give an outcome fairly close to double pot stilled IMO. Or is it necessary get out a pot? Other possibility would be to make two washes, strip one and combine for spirit run?

• @rossco said: So is it possible to single run this out the bubbler? Thinking 3 plates. This would give an outcome fairly close to double pot stilled IMO. Or is it necessary get out a pot? Other possibility would be to make two washes, strip one and combine for spirit run?

I don't think @Malted would be upset for me to say he has just upgraded his Potshot for a plated unit with this recipe in mind. Hopefully he'll chip in his thoughts here on a regular basis. I know i respect his opinions and experiences in the same way i do yours.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @FloridaCracker said: Still can't get "Brown foam through the parrot" out of my head.

Good stuff innit! I thought "puked its guts up" was better. :)) Yeah I let it run a little hot because I was doing other stuff, but no more so than other batches (that were boiled).

@punkin said: I don't think @Malted would be upset for me to say he has just upgraded his Potshot for a plated unit with this recipe in mind. Hopefully he'll chip in his thoughts here on a regular basis. I know i respect his opinions...

Yes I have recently purchased 4 bubble T's and stuff with this recipe in mind, it is true. I stripped 3x 25 L washes (referred to recently in this thread) with my P1 potshot and they started at about 60% abv and I ran them down to 10% ABV. I did not get many flecks or oils, surprisingly.

I ran the low wines with three bubble T's and let it run at reflux/equilibrium for about 20 minutes or more. The fores started at 94% ABV and after that she was spitting out at about 90% when I started collecting keepers. Shocked the heck outa me, I thought there would be no flavour left in it. The ABV dropped off and around 80% it was tasting quite strongly of the peatiness I expected. The systems I see on punkins shop site show 2 plates in a pot hybrid and I was worried about using 3 plates. The bold peat flavours came through quite strongly.

I collected into many jars and let them sit over night. Down to about 45% ABV was all good and got mixed together but I blended in one jar deep into the tails of around 34-30% ABV that seemed good for flavour. The total blend ended up at 63% ABV so I did not water it down to throw the medium toast American dominoes at it. That's another story that I am not qualified to talk about.

@grim put in a lot of interesting info. I may have tipped a previous batch/wash on the lawn because it had lacto in it. In that same brewing episode, the other batch was fine (non-lacto). On the most recent occasion with both batches having lacto, I had a what the heck moment. That is how I had 3 batches, instead of 4, that were stripped for this 3 plate spirit run. The lacto wasn't overpoweringly sour but it was evident. If we are running the gauntlet on lacto with whisky no-boil washes, it makes me think yeast pitching rates would be more appropriate to be aligned with those of lager pitching rates. Get the yeast in and get them busy before the lacto gets amongst the fermentables. It seems lacto might be desirable but should not be dominant.

Yáll know @punkin drinks a lot yeh? He should post more when he has been drinking less, or probably more correctly, less when drinking more.

@rossco perhaps yes but after only one run I am only speculating. I stripped my 3 x 25L washes in pot still mode (I did not have the plates when I did the pot strip) and then ran the low wines through the 3 plates. It had more flavour than I thought it would. Peated malted barley is pretty dammed bold though. I would think it might be possible but of course the product yield versus wash volume, would be low. What's the problem with that?

If it aint half off, it aint on sale!

• Flavor/taste depends on a lot of things. I run 4 plates and on my last (dark) runs I had flavors galore. I am going to start a thread on how I did it on my last UJ run. On my rum, it was a matter of adding dunder to the strip right before distillation. Still have to update THAT thread as well.

• There if definitely a lacto sweet spot. I think ethyl lactate ester would contribute beneficially to the flavor profile of most whiskies, especially American varieties, but there is probably an upper limit where it would be overwhelming (think butter bomb Chardonnay).

The bigger problem is distilling over the additional volatile acidity.

• edited June 2015

@Malted said: It had more flavour than I thought it would. Peated malted barley is pretty dammed bold though. I would think it might be possible but of course the product yield versus wash volume, would be low.

Thank you for your effort malted, I generally only strip if I have to deal with a really large wash maybe 220litres. If I do i usually add at least 40% raw wash to maintain the flavour into the final product. This is works really well for UJ but is probably not necessary for rums. Given the peat is more delicate, I recon you will get a great product from 3 plates straight up.

@Malted said: Down to about 45% ABV was all good and got mixed together but I blended in one jar deep into the tails of around 34-30% ABV that seemed good for flavour. The total blend ended up at 63% ABV

FYI in a typical 3 plate run my heads cuts will be 90% and the rest will be 80-88%. Remember this is not a pot still! You will get just as much flavour but a way more refined final product. Also there may be a little still in the boiler.

I finished a JSAA clone this week. Used a US05 colony to do all this years beers, harvested a litre of the colony yesterday. Will make a wash next week, thank you all for your help.

Rossco

• @Malted Nice write up mate, funny and informative!!!

• If it has too much twang, run it again. It will surprise you.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited June 2015

@rossco "Thank you for your effort malted" "FYI in a typical 3 plate run my heads cuts will be 90% and the rest will be 80-88%. Remember this is not a pot still!"

I know I am a rank novice (immediately apparent to the experienced shiners) and might not have posted if punkin had not humbugged me off the forum. I am glad I did post because it drew helpful comments from others. I am impressed by how rossco politely told me I was off the mark.

I have done more reading and had a yarn with an experienced dash 2 owner, it is apparent to me I ran the system as if it were a pot still. I kind of thought if the pates were loaded, they didn't need much reflux. More reflux, slower product collection next time!

Here is a note of caution. For one reason or another, I was tripping the breakers in the fusebox and had the missus outside resetting it whilst I configured things in the house. Feck she spat when she saw the rate at which the meter progressed with the 15a boiler element going. I went in and turned it off and came back out, the meter was hardly moving. I should have left the missus in ignorant bliss. She has had words to say about the duration of the run and electricity and water use...

Time to make something she will like to drink (its a hard call because she drinks feck all). She thought my electric smoker was a waste of money until she started enjoying the things that came out of it. Now she thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread (I am under orders to cook pork in it today). If I can get that sort of buy in from some flavoured neutrals (punkins muck for instance), I would be rather happy.

An even better thing might be to use some of the scotch* to make some punkins muck! She might get buy in to the first of my adventures with the new gear! * but that would require ageing time.

• Strawberry panty dropper is a bit of a favourite.
    Kahlua is easy and is VERY good homemade. Add some muck and you'd have something close to a cowboy.
    Limencello is quick fast and tasty and can be sweetened up for the girls.

You could always bite the bullet and by a bottle of Zambucca essence.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @Malted Mate I run 2 x 2400 watt elements. One runs flat out the other goes thru my voltage controller. I only run the second one to boil and then switch it off. Both elements are plugged in on separate circuits in the house and runs with out a problem. My neighbor runs a 3600 watt element, but he had to get a sparky in to upgrade his wiring and power point. Power works out about 70 cents per hour with a 2400 watt i think, so its not too bad, considering the cooktop/oven and hot water system are rated must higher. I find 2400 watts is enough once boiling, it still pushes thru 5 plates and a packed section and easy to control the flow rate with a needle valve on the RC.

• Running in potstill mode with no water in the RC you will get reflux on the plates but not enough to effect the product

• edited June 2015

@Malted said: I am impressed by how rossco politely told me I was off the mark.

My understanding of what is going on is that we are working together to teach each other to make top shelf Irish/Scotch whiskey Malted. I am appreciative of your efforts and contributions.

BTW my 15amp circuits cost less than $100 ea by tradesman. If you do the math it is a no-brainer. You can then use a 3.8kw element for your beer pot, it adds an extra level of control.

• edited July 2015

I made a BIAB fermenter of FSW yesterday as per our discussion. Used 11k of ale malt and 4k of peated malt using my BIAB setup. FG was approx 1.065 without the dextrose so just made AG. Boiled for 10minutes only and used a wirloc to settle out trub. Mash was probably the strongest smelling of all that I have made, really nice. Used the US05 colony that made this year's beer and an English Ale yeast colony that I had hanging around. Thinking of adding a cup of the left over grain to the bottom of the fermenter as per Frank's method. Thanks everyone for their help and encouragement, especially Punkin and Malted.

• Sounds like you are set up for a great run, I love English ale yeasts in whiskey.

• @rossco how long did you mash for? and what size bag did you use to get 15kgs of grain in??

• Mashed 90minutes. Have a couple of bags but just used a $10LHBS bag from way back. Pot is a 97 litre stainless pot with a 65 litre stainless basket for the bag to sit in. We use a block and tackle to hoist the bag and basket together. The thing is really firing atm.

• Ive got a 50L pot so figured if i split the bill between 2 bags i could easily manage then without a basket

• Yeah that would work my 50litre will take 6-8kg or so of grain for about 36litres max output. You could make two 30s. Talking with a couple of blokes elsewhere, they think that the mash temp is too high. High 60s will give good body for beer but less alcohol. Still trying to work out how this affects our situation, because 90 min will see the temp in the low 60s anyway. But there will be hot spots. Thinking of a strike in the region of 66deg next time.

• edited July 2015

@punkin said: You could always bite the bullet and by a bottle of Zambucca essence.

Huh what? There will be no bullet biting in my house! I will try your recipe for Arak and add more spices to the boil, just because. That's not really a topic for this thread though.

• edited July 2015

IIRC the batch went onto American oak medium at 1 medium sized domino per litre on the 22/06/2015 @ 65% (there is a note on the fridge that says that is when it went onto oak). The ABV is the thing I am recalling atm, the other factors are correct. Had to have a sample just now (as I am half cut and it seemed an appropriate thing to do) and the nose was huge. Drank a wee dram as is, a bit too strong to enjoy the subtleties, watered it down and may have watered too far. Colour seems spot on. Kind of missed the subtle sweetness that I get from commercial jobbies; peat, smokiness, woodiness, all that was there. Smoothness was surprising given the young age. Will need to sample more. Essentially this post has no real content; Cheers all.

• @Malted said: I will try your recipe for Arak and add more spices to the boil, just because.

No mate, not my recipe. Absynt came up with that one, i've just adopted it as a classic and spread it.