Anone used fresh corn?

edited January 2014 in Recipes

Just wondering if anyone has used fresh corn ie off the cob?

I know pop larkin did baked sweet corn, but I'm curious if you could cut the kernels off regular corn with a knife & then cook em (boiled in a pot, baked or steamed) before adding enzymes &/or barley& rye???

Any on tried this? Got any ideas?

Also do you have plans for making a solid liquid separator? I can only find rice bulls in 125kg bags!!!!!!

Tagged:

Comments

• steamed flaked oats have heaps of hulls. I use that with cracked maize. all from the local stock feed store

$15 per 25kg bag,

• oats come with their own problems, they turn into glue.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited February 2014

The stuff I get looks like they just run the raw hull thru the steam roller, comes with all the hulls n stuff... I've found it great for sparging

Types of Oats @ Whole Grains Council

Rice Hull Alternatives @ Pyrowales

• Oh, but to keep on topic, I haven't tried fresh kernels of corn, I have considered frozen fresh kernels as the cost was down to ~$2 per KG.

• edited February 2014

@crozdog look at this discussion.
    I'm going to try this at the end of summer.
    I'm planning on creaming mine then cook and add some malt and sugar.

• If you can get your corn straight off the stalk, you can just add yeast and it will ferment same as a sugar wash. Roughly 75% of the sugar in corn converts to starch within 24 hours of being removed from the stalk. You would need to add some amylayse, since the sugars would turn to starch rather quickly, faster than the yeast could ferment since most ferments take at bare minimum 60 hours.

That said, you can ferment fresh squeezed corn much easier than cracked or flaked, just squeeze the juice out and you arent left with the kernel or grit. Its where the term corn squeezin's comes from.

1 ear of corn contains about 5 grams of sugars. Theres about 450 grams in a pound. Thats about 100 ears to a pound, or, 700 ears to get the sugar equivalent of the sugar needed to make a 5 gallon batch of sugar wash that will be 1.062 or 9.3% abv. If your on a farm and you can shuck corn like a champ, by all means, do it! It would be some decent corn likker. Just one problem. Fresh corn just doesn't have that corny flavor, I know, sounds weird, but, it doesn't. The process of the sugars converting to starch, then the corn drying out, being cracked or ground up then cooked to release the starches, intensifies the corn flavor. Corn is a grass. It was hi-bred and selectively groomed for its trait to produce a large panicle or seed cluster. That said, when it is fresh, it tastes somewhat like corn, but it has a grassy taste to it and that comes through in the likker. Its not a dominant flavor, but it has it there in the background. You would like your likker better made from good ole dried dent corn, or, if you can get it cheap, any of the higher sugar white corns. Silver Queen being the most popular.

• edited March 2014

thanks everyone - especially @Misflt - i didn't realise how little carbohydrate there was in 1 ear of corn.

Think I will stick to briess flaked maize. Still need to source rice hulls or similar to assist draining.

• Indeed. I esp. like the fact that @Misfit outlined something about corn that always seems to get lost...

"Corn is a grass. It was hi-bred and selectively groomed for its trait to produce a large panicle or seed cluster."

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...