StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Glass Enclosed Parrot

2»

Comments

• @Myles The flow can impact the accuracy. The tube needs to be significantly larger in diameter than the bulb on the hydrometer. Narrow range hydrometers have a much fatter bulb on them than wide range ones.

When I 1st setup my parrot my narrow range hydrometer barley fit in the diameter of the parrot tube as it was 1" ID pipe. 1st Time I used it the flow pushed the hydrometer up so far it almost fell out of the tube. If the parrot tube is large enough compared to the bulb of the hydrometer then it will have limited impact on the reading. I rebuilt my parrot with a 1.5" ID pipe to correct the issue.

I have tested my narrow range hydrometer 185-205 range when running at 16L HR flow rate. I took a reading in the parrot while collecting a sample in a beaker at the same time. I then tested the sample with the same hydrometer after removing it from the parrot. Adjusting both readings for temperature there was a difference but it was small.

The Parrot was reading .4 Proof or .2% lower than the sample that was tested without the impacts of flow as it was a stagnant sample in a beaker. So your final true proof reading would be a little bit higher than what you see taking a reading from the parrot.

If the parrot pipe was 2" the flow would probably have limited to no impact on the reading.

I hope this helps.

• but you also get more smearing and slower readings with too large of a pipe... we have to find the balance.. and figure out what diameter hydrometers we will use... maybe that can be a modular part too....

I really think we need to get the body, cap, and glass made out of thinner material than you guys are drawing, we have to keep the weight down...

here is the globe, no brainer:

glass_globe.jpg
    500 x 500 - 11K
  • Thanks RDD, all mine so far have been designed to minimise the volume in the reservoir but I was never bothered about high product flow rates. Things are slightly different now but I am still low power compared to some of you. ;)

• I could use one of these as well. Not for the reasons losted previously, but to keep the butterflies out! Yep, butterflies are suicidal for my absinthe and will do amazing body contortions to get there!