StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Big Rum Thread

Comments

• got a fairly rock solid stomach... but not sure the dunder pit is in my future... i like smells ... good ones... found a dead guy once really bad smell...

• What about the smell plus the taste of rancid vegie oil for anti foaming? =)) =)) =)) :-c

It is what you make it!

• That was horrible Bent don't remind me... taste was worse even... and it wouldn't go away till i took everything apart and threw stuff away...

• edited May 2013

@moscca said: If you could smell it FS, you would change your mind !!

+1 Yes it smells very floral and has a crisp quality that smells clean. Not at all muddy or earthy,,,,,(or moldy). And the remaining liquid is very sparkly also.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I just received my first order of panella. I don't have any dunder so I either use it as it or mix it with molasses. Any one comment on which is better? Never done a rum before so this is unchartered territory. Any help?

• I have my second ferment of Panela going now,and I have been using the panela straight up at about 1.5 lbs/.68kg per gallon/3.78 liters,it taste great and much different than the SF or molasses I have done in the past. I did use 15% backset on this ferment to check the flavor difference my continue backset or not, we shal see after it has been cooked!

It is what you make it!

• Put some dunder under a tree down the front a couple of weeks ago. Must go see how its going. Have to admit those pics don't look real appetizing.

• Thanks for the info bentstick, will give it a go tomorrow.

• from what i understand although the dunder looks like a dogs breakfast this is the heart of the beast having foreign yeasts and bacteria entering the dunder and being able to mature with time is the main goal

for anyone who knows does the dunder just grow a pelicle to protect the dunder below ?

experimenting with nature and apparently makes for a mean drop of rumski!

i wonder if you could introduce a particular type of bacteria/yeast/mould to the dunder to get a desired effect more than a spontaneous effect ?

• @cooperville said: from what i understand although the dunder looks like a dogs breakfast this is the heart of the beast having foreign yeasts and bacteria entering the dunder and being able to mature with time is the main goal

for anyone who knows does the dunder just grow a pelicle to protect the dunder below ?

experimenting with nature and apparently makes for a mean drop of rumski!

i wonder if you could introduce a particular type of bacteria/yeast/mould to the dunder to get a desired effect more than a spontaneous effect ?

I was thinking of putting a piece of cane in my dunderpit. I will try it out. Now I put some pieces of cane in my bodega where I have my dunderpit hoping of introducing the right bacteria.

M.

• Ive been reading through this thread which would be of much interest to you Mos looks like you can get a more distinguished flavour from a dunder pit especially if you are in a hotter climate looks like fun I wouldnt worry what Punkin says... i think hes scared of getting his hands dirty =))

• edited June 2013

You forgot the link Coops, i assume you are talking about this thread...

I'm scared someones going to die from it. >:)

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Exactly Punkin its a good read and very feasible but i was a little concerned for mashman as he was very lucky and this should be a lesson to us all avoid inhaling vapours if possible

• @Gil_flask said: I just received my first order of panella. I don't have any dunder so I either use it as it or mix it with molasses. Any one comment on which is better? Never done a rum before so this is unchartered territory. Any help?

Using a 6 gallon car boy as your fermenter. 2.5 gallons of water in a big pot, add 9.5# of panella, add 2.7G of yeast food (WyYeast etc.) 3.5ml of Sebstar-HTL (enzyme) bring up to 190F/88C at a medium pace (30-45 min) longer will give the enzyme more time to work on the sugars. add 4.6g of DAP, or you can break this into two adds, one now and one a day or so into the ferment. check pH add the wash to a big pot with another 2.5G of H20 do a citric or tartaric add to get the pH around 5.0-5.5 (5.2 is target) cool the 2.5 gallons of wash with a wort chiller (this will save you hours) when the temp gets to 150/149F 65C add 3.5ml of Seb Amyl-Gl give it 30-45min (longer is better but Ive found this amount of time works) OG should be around 1062-1072 8%-9%ABV this is a good time to get your yeast hydrating I use a red star pasteur champagne (top fermenter) and a saflager s-23 (bottom fermenter) follow the directions on the package. start adding a couple tbl spoons of wash to the yeast after 10 min. when the yeast start going chill the wash down to a safe pitching temp around 75-80F/30C is about as hot as you can pitch and not shock the yeast. syphon into your clean carboys add the water stop. watch it go. should look like 6 gallons of root beer without the big foamy head. never had any issues with foaming, it's a really clean ferment smells awesome. time goes from 3-10 days depending on your yeast, nutrients and temps. I've never stirred the ferment, had no issues, This stuff is awesome, wait until the heads start running.....

This is my go and there many on here that know much much more than I. If Ive over looked anything important feel free add your input.

Cheers.

• I received a fairly proofy sample from Bentstick. Very good IMO. I can not recall making any thing better that has been allowed to remain white. A heavy shot of high test, a splash of white grape/peach juice and an eye dropper of grapefruit bitters and your rum opened right up into a delightful cocktail that is absolutely superb...IMO Bent what abv did you collect at?

• Thanks Smaug,glad you enjoy it! Hearts and beginning tails, 88% abv down to about 86%-85% abv,I my self do not like tailsy drink, that was off my 3 plate sieve column.

It is what you make it!

• Really really good,,,,,,,again.

• edited June 2013

@nvnovrts why are you using exzymes?? I have never used em for rum cause i am not aware of there being any starch in molasses or sugar.

According to this Sebstar-hlt is "A heat-stable, liquid alpha-amylase enzyme used in the alcohol industry for high-temperature liquefaction of starch containing grain mashes (corn, sorghum, rice, etc.) for production of neutral spirits."

And this says that Seb Amyl-Gl is used "In distilleries with pre-saccharification systems...to convert liquefied-starch to fermentable sugars"

I can see how & why you'd use em in a corn, rye, rice or barley mash but think you might be wasting precious enzymes by using them to make rum.

• Just opened my 3 gallon ex bourbon barrel filled with 65 % rum made from 70 % panela, 30 % molasses and I'm blown away. THIS IS THE BEST STUF UNTILL NOW It has been 3.5 months in the barril now, and it sure is not overoaked. Will leave it as long as possible in the barrel.

M.

• Sounds great, Moscca. Bottle a small amount from your barrel every month (as little as 100 ml) and after 6 months or so do a blind taste test on your samples.

• edited June 2013

@crozdog said: nvnovrts why are you using exzymes?? I have never used em for rum cause i am not aware of there being any starch in molasses or sugar.

According to this Sebstar-hlt is "A heat-stable, liquid alpha-amylase enzyme used in the alcohol industry for high-temperature liquefaction of starch containing grain mashes (corn, sorghum, rice, etc.) for production of neutral spirits."

And this says that Seb Amyl-Gl is used "In distilleries with pre-saccharification systems...to convert liquefied-starch to fermentable sugars"

I can see how & why you'd use em in a corn, rye, rice or barley mash but think you might be wasting precious enzymes by using them to make rum.

36 hours faster with enzyme. VS same exact wash with-out. Same yeast same temps. Science is good.. These break up the long chain sugars into yeast food. cutting branches and limbs??

so if you were pro and you needed to maximize your time. enzymes.

• Interesting results. I did a bit of digging and it seems that the enzymes break down the ploysacharides in the molasses into simpler sugars.

I know that both papaya & pineapple contain enzymes - papaya us often used as a meat tenderiser... wonder if they could be used as alternative enzyme sources in rum washes?

• some papaya and pineapple notes with the panella would be really good. I wonder how they come over Hmmmm...... :-?

• edited June 2013

@moscca said: Just opened my 3 gallon ex bourbon barrel filled with 65 % rum made from 70 % panela, 30 % molasses and I'm blown away.

Do you go by weight, volume, or what on the 70/30 split. I only ask because the panela is in small bar form (very light) and the molasses is a heavy liquid. Any specifics available? L-)

• @nvnovrts said:

Using a 6 gallon car boy as your fermenter. 2.5 gallons of water in a big pot, add 9.5# of panella, add 2.7G of yeast food (WyYeast etc.) 3.5ml of Sebstar-HTL (enzyme) bring up to 190F/88C at a medium pace (30-45 min) longer will give the enzyme more time to work on the sugars. add 4.6g of DAP, or you can break this into two adds, one now and one a day or so into the ferment. check pH add the wash to a big pot with another 2.5G of H20 do a citric or tartaric add to get the pH around 5.0-5.5 (5.2 is target) cool the 2.5 gallons of wash with a wort chiller (this will save you hours) when the temp gets to 150/149F 65C add 3.5ml of Seb Amyl-Gl give it 30-45min (longer is better but Ive found this amount of time works) OG should be around 1062-1072 8%-9%ABV this is a good time to get your yeast hydrating I use a red star pasteur champagne (top fermenter) and a saflager s-23 (bottom fermenter)

Ok, I just ordered my sebstar HTL and GL and my saflager s-23 along with my red star champ. Yeast. Can't wait to give this one a try. :ar! Question, could I not just use yeast for rum distilling?

• edited June 2013

I did a ginger rum about a month or two ago, 3kg raw sugar 3l molasses 250g ground ginger 90g bakers yeast Ran it through my 3 plate bubbler, came out very nice. Its a touch sweet and maybe a touch to much ginger, don't like my ginger to stronge. Very drinkable as is though. Someone mentioned doing it as a liquor and I have to agree it would make an amazing liquor!!. Just thought I'd share.

Cheers

• @Smaug said: Hey you guys,,,,also don't forget that aging your rum beer before running can make for some really nice product as well. Very (incredibly) full flavored at 90-92 for the duration of the run.

I agree. I had a fermenter full of molasses wash that for one reason or another I didn't get to run for about 5 months. When I got to running it, it was the clearest rum wash I've had. I got to rack most of it off without disturbing the lees. Aging the wash made for a real smooth rum, IMO.

• edited June 2013

@Gil_flask said: Do you go by weight, volume, or what on the 70/30 split. I only ask because the panela is in small bar form (very light) and the molasses is a heavy liquid. Any specifics available? L-)

I go by the sugar content. I take 86 % for panela and 50 % for molasses.

M.

• edited June 2013

@Gil_flask said: Ok, I just ordered my sebstar HTL and GL and my saflager s-23 along with my red star champ. Yeast. Can't wait to give this one a try. Question, could I not just use yeast for rum distilling?

if you want more floral notes try the EC-1118 yeast instead of the Red Star pasteur Champagne. I like the red star because it has a pretty neutral finish. Yeast is a big influencer in wine making. On the pastorianus (saflager) The directions say to "sprinkle directly into wort". You have action almost immediately. One of my concerns with this last ferment was the that I had a pretty high temp (79-81F) and was worried that the pastorianus was killed off. I know a sales rep for Llemand and will be asking him about temps.

• @moscca said:I go by the sugar content. I take 86 % for panela and 50 % for molasses.

M.

Thanks, that helps %-(