StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

DIY Controller Ventilation Holes & Fan Questions

2»

Comments

• Hey @Law_Of_Ohms it does not have to be the whole fan frame assembly, just a screen to keep yer fingers out of harms way. :D

• Poor ole @Moonshine is gonna have a kineption trying to figure out how to keep this one on topic. =))

• edited January 2014

can you do one with the sticker face on it too?

stilldragonlogo1.jpg
    578 x 578 - 44K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited January 2014

@captainshooch said: Poor ole Moonshine is gonna have a kineption trying to figure out how to keep this one on topic. =))

Hehe, we barely have any topics not staying on topic.

Ventilation Holes >> Fan >> Fan Power Supply >> Screen for Holes / Fan Guard >> all good and OT, just had to modify the discussion title slightly. ;)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited January 2014

@punkin anything for you....

PDF
    PDF
    fan guard assembly 2.PDF
    fan guard 2.JPG
    800 x 599 - 38K
  • Neat. I thought you would do it by taking away the dragon rather than leaving it there though.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @Cambo said: Lloyd , Does the temp of the SSR heatsink go up much over a run?

Ambient air and starting temp of the heatsink was about 14C and after 30 minutes the heatsink temp was 40C (using full power).
    It stayed there for about another hour and slowly climbed to 43C, I assume the ambient air was warmer now because of the boiler and column.
    Stayed at 43C until the end of the run and reducing the power through the SSR seemed to have little affect.

• I think fashionable custom fan guards would definitely sell! Especially if they're reasonably priced. I bought mine for about $5. I ended up using two (one on front and one on back of my controller).

If you guys sold fans I can't think of any reason why those wouldn't sell too. As long as the price was reasonable I don't think customers would spend the time to search to save a buck or two ... I wouldn't. LED illuminated fans would accentuate the custom fan guard while also serving as a cooling fan indicator light. Well it would just look cool if not for anything else.

I noticed that some people use 12V fans with 12VDC power supply (I did), some use 110V fans while others use 240V fans.

Fan_1.jpg
    550 x 550 - 60K
    Fan_2.jpg
    550 x 550 - 59K
  • edited February 2014

Well, I might as well throw my 2 cents in...
    Here's mine:

Well so much for that...can't find my build pictures :(
    Anyway, I drilled holes in the base of the box (and aluminum plate it's mounted on) and bolted the ssr over it so the air has to suck up around/through it. Then I drilled a hole in the front and mounted a computer fan. I powered it with a power supply from something, I forget but I made sure (1) it was 12V and (2) it had more than enough amperage to run the fan. Where the 240V comes in the side of the box I just used one side (110V) to run the power supply. I soldered (and shrink wrapped) the wires to the blades of the PS and to the fan. Been working awesome for 70+ runs so far.

Wish I could find the pictures....sorry

25Feb13runs024.jpg
    800 x 600 - 52K
  • edited February 2014

25Feb13runs037.jpg
    800 x 600 - 65K