StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Whats in your Glass?

Comments

• Powder Monkey
    Our new Navy Strength Gin. Triticale and malt base spirit triple distilled through our 6 plate 8"crystal dragon & vapour infused with a big load of juniper + v small amounts of some local botanicals: pink peppercorns, eucalyptus (ribbon gum) leaves, and cinnamon, lemon and aniseed myrtles.

powdermonkey.jpg
    600 x 800 - 86K
  • I was staying in an ocean-front hotel in South Kona in 2001. There was an nice Aussie couple who were staying there as well. They had participated in the Ironman the week before. We were having breakfast by the ocean pool. They had a jar of vegemite and let me try some (I had been wondering about it since hearing Men At Work sing about it). My reaction was very much like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBMCgxIuYI

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @hurdlecreek. Nice bottle mate and sounds like a really nice drop. I am sure you like vegemite.

• @DonMateo said: hurdlecreek. Nice bottle mate and sounds like a really nice drop. I am sure you like vegemite.

Love Vegemite but hate to admit it, I prefer Marmite!

• Yay South Africa

• edited May 2017

@HurdleCreek said: Powder Monkey
    Our new Navy Strength Gin. Triticale and malt base spirit triple distilled through our 6 plate 8"crystal dragon & vapour infused with a big load of juniper + v small amounts of some local botanicals: pink peppercorns, eucalyptus (ribbon gum) leaves, and cinnamon, lemon and aniseed myrtles.

Hurdle Creek Still Shop

Just had a look at your shop Simon, i'ts not listed yet.

There must be some way for one of your biggest fans to get a bottle though?

It'll take some doing to knock your Evolution Gin off the top of my gin collection though it sounds like you maybe have nailed it.

Triticale is my favourite grain for spirits, one of other customers (i'm almost positive it was @HighSpirits) told me the other day they were doing a Triticale Whiskey.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Hi Punkin. It'll be in the webshop in the next day or so.

We started using triticale in the Jenever & the powder monkey spun off that. It nice to brew with. It handles like wheat in the mash but gives a really nice rye flavour.

• jezjez
    edited May 2017

a day out tasting Australian produce

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 94K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
  • edited May 2017

We have some equipment in Applewood, that's one of Simons.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @jez : "Breakfast Gin"? I think we aren't allowed to market our gin in Europe with slogans like that... Breakfast of champions, Liquid lunch...

• jezjez
    edited May 2017

@punkin I had a good chat with them yesterday about there equipment and process and enjoyed there other fine products.

@squeakyclean it was a very nice gin and had a great earl grey tea after taste. Will be making time to do there gin masterclass.

• edited May 2017

Very nice japanese whisky here.

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 55K
  • @punkin said: Triticale is my favourite grain for spirits, one of other customers (i'm almost positive it was HighSpirits) told me the other day they were doing a Triticale Whiskey.

Nearly correct, although we use 100% triticale for the base spirit for our vodka and gins

• Ok some more. 3 gims and the Shackleton blended Scotch. The Dakin gin is very nice the other two are heavy on the citrus. The Shakleton whisky is also very nice. I am not a huge scotch fan now but this one was very nice and only lightly oaked. Almost like a nice Irish whiskey put on oak for 6 months. Very nice and relatively cheap.

• edited May 2017

sorry Photos attached.

image.jpg
    800 x 450 - 68K
  • edited June 2017

Excitement as my gift pack from @HurdleCreek arrived yesterday.

We really enjoyed the Cherry Gin Jam on our roast turkey for dinner, the cranberry sauce didn't get a look in.

Still got to say the Navy Strength, while great in it's own right, wasn't able to topple the Evolution from top of my favourite list. So happy to have scored another bottle of the Evolution in my pack, now i can stop nursing the other one.

hurdle1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 87K

• @punkin glad it arrived safely. Have you tried the Dark Cacao yet?

Best recommendation: 1 shot Evolution 1 shot Dark Cacao 1/2 shot triple sec or Cointreau - makes amazing choc orange aniseed Martini!

• @squeakyclean said: jez : "Breakfast Gin"? I think we aren't allowed to market our gin in Europe with slogans like that... Breakfast of champions, Liquid lunch...

What's wrong with gin for breakfast?

• Not sure what the Dark Cacao is but it sounds nice - a couple ofshots and milk for breakfast. Could even go on cereal. Truly the breakfast of champions.

• @HurdleCreek said: What's wrong with gin for breakfast?

Fine with me as long as people use my gin :-bd

• Had a little sip of all of them on arrival, haven't had a proper drink of any but the Navy yet.

• I was very impressed with the Aniseed/Myrtle/Mint sample, i'll tip that into a glass one evening for sure.

• @punkin said: I was very impressed with the Aniseed/Myrtle/Mint sample, i'll tip that into a glass one evening for sure.

Sounds delightful.

Stay the hell away from the camp fire.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Yessir. Once burnt twice shy.

• just bottled - took the hearts of the hearts of the hearts on a still run where we ran extra slow, and aged it in a 5-gal # 3 barrel for 8 months... 30 bottles of phenomenal, no heat, 87 proof whiskey.... Calling it Distiller's Reserve and selling for $100 in the gift shop... I expect it to be gone within the month... a couple more barrels to of different things get opened in July-September...

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 128K
  • Did our first dark rum bottling in Sunday - year old - mixed culture molasses ferments. 491 bottles.

• Great stuff guys. Never seen a crown seal on a spirit bottle before, looks good.

• Ah the old reserved distillers reserve....

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @CothermanDistilling I gotta have two, one for the collection [-O<