StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

No Topic Thread

Comments

• edited November 2018

However, it is advisable to use some 500 grit sandpaper to lightly score the rotor's surfaces so the new brake pads break in without "glassing" up. (not necessary if you are installing new, or newly turned rotors with the new brake pads)

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Isn’t the Tacoma having fixed fronts?

• @Unsensibel said: Isn’t the Tacoma having fixed fronts?

I'm not sure what that means. A mechanical recall?

I've got two 4x4 models, a '99, and a '10. Neither has been recalled for a problem with fronts AFAIK.

• @Kapea fixed front calipers (as opposed to floating / fist calipers. They're a lot easier to maintain

• edited November 2018

DOH!

Yes, Toyota has fixed calipers - four pistons and two brake pads per caliper.

Push the pistons back with a pry bar (making sure beforehand your master cylinder reservoir has room for the extra fluid) remove the two pad restraining pins, pull out the old pads, insert the new pads, grease and replace the restraining pins. 10 minutes per wheel, if you are all thumbs. Super easy.

• edited November 2018

500L kettle nearing mechanical build end. Insulation, electrics and instrumentation go on next.

image.jpg
    452 x 800 - 53K
  • No windows?

• edited November 2018

Looks like a naked *****.

Who makes those boilers?

• edited November 2018

@richard said: 500L kettle nearing mechanical build end. Insulation, electrics and instrumentation go on next.

@Homebrew said: Looks like a naked *****.

Who makes those boilers?

Please understand that although this is a community forum, it's main purpose is to support the StillDragon® Organization and their customers, which is why certain things like products of other manufacturers are better discussed elsewhere.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @Moonshine said: Please understand that although this is a community forum, it's main purpose is to support the StillDragon® Organization and their customers, which is why certain things like products of other manufacturers are better discussed elsewhere.

Sorry. Understood.

• edited November 2018

The round kettles behave much more like a parabolic reflector. The square kettles tend to be cooler in each corner. We have several customers with limited power that ultimately chose to replace their square kettles with round in order to exploit their limited power as optimally as possible.

If you run across a spectacular deal on a square vessel then perhaps a square kettle is a good temporary solution. But long term planning with a square kettle is not optimal use of thermal transfer. Though it is certainly doable for the end user to insulate to mitigate the less than optimal behavior, the square is never the less not optimal. It's just the way it is...

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• This is not the reason behind my square kettle design. Round kettles create unwanted vortices with everything migrating towards the center during agitation. The square kettle breaks this. As to heat, both the kettle and column are insulated for optimum thermal efficiency.

As a general build comment, it is way more complex, manufacturing difficult and more expensive in building a square kettle than that of a round kettle. The choice was not an easy one.

• @Kapea said: No windows?

I have a vertical level sight glass, this is in addition to an interlocked level switch. I don't plan at present to insert a top viewing sight glass. If ultimately necessary, I will change the manhole lid and build one with a glass center.

• I believe that Richard is building this himself?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• You're gonna want to see what's going on in there.

• Moonshine does have a good point regarding the evaluation of products by other manufacturers.

For this current topic of Richard it it seems to be a self build "device" and I think the motivation of building a square boiler is quite relevant and very interesting from a professional point of view. Maybe Richard should have made it a specified topic ;)

Happily lurking and learning every visit. Realizing I really need to know more, wondering where the journy will end :D

• Maui tomorrow, can not wait.

• edited November 2018

"Everything migrating toward the center"? Really? What kind of viscosity are we talking about? What volume kettle? With or with out agitator?Clearly we are not talking about a full kettle charge of grain in beer or heavy fruit skins.

"Unwanted vortices"? Do you mean vortex? How, for the purpose of what we are doing is a vortex unwanted? Any vortex type behavior will assist mixing by virtue of circulation. Getting the solids to entrain other solids along for the ride as it were. With an optimally sized and pitched propeller, circulation is initiated by pulling material up thru the center of rotation, then discharging toward the outside of center rotation. This action promotes mixing.

Solids do not at all accumulate and remain trapped in the center unless you only have a cup full of solids in a very thin body of liquid and/or the propeller is not doing it's job,,literally.

Heavy, grain in kettle charges will indeed experience solids deadheading in the corners with an agitator in use.

Hopefully your kettle will do everything that you need it to do. But to imply that a square kettle is somehow a superior design for the purpose of distilling is not at all true.

It looks like you've done a beautiful job with fabrication otherwise

• @MokumMoonshine said: Moonshine does have a good point regarding the evaluation of products by other manufacturers.

Discussion about a self built "device" is no problem as long as it's not advertised as contract work. My previous comment was not directed at @richard but @Homebrew for mentioning a competitor.

We have a very relaxed atmosphere here in our community, there is barely any need for moderation, but there are guidelines and restrictions as with every other forum. Mentioning a competitor by name is not acceptable, because they apply strict censorship of any mentioning of "StillDragon" in their community as well.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @grim said: Maui tomorrow, can not wait.

E komo mai (from the tall peaks you will see to the southeast)

• Thankyou @Moonshine. I was not quite sure what you were saying and thought it a little odd but now fully understand. We have a number of post with peoples construction on display that have never been Bagged.

• Maui.... Nice one... Bucketlist thing....

• edited November 2018

Maui... doesn't Mick Fleetwood live there and own a bar?

I've met him twice, at those "meet and greet" things before a concert.

• @Kapea Whats happening with the volcano ?

• edited November 2018

Nothing. The lower east rift zone eruption, and summit caldera collapse ended on August 2:

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory - Kilauea Status

• @Kapea - at MBC now - this place is outrageous.

• Good beer fur shur dude!

• edited November 2018

Wish yew two fellers would stop being so cryptic (playing footsies under the table) so everyone could join the party! lol...