StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

All-In-One Unit (Mash Tun, Fermenter & Boiler)

Just wondering if anyone has ever used one kettle to do all three activities. You would need to change out the items on the lid according to what step you're on, but it would reduce the number of vessels required. Plus it would reduce cleaning and transferring. Maybe people already do this and it's a stupid question.

Comments

• edited November 2013

I don't know how conveniently it could be done with something homemade, but this would be the cadillac of setups! At the cost of a nice pile of coin, but damn it would be nice. Hopefully soon i will be able to do something like this soon with some equipment i have on order.

Single vessel all grain whiskey by Swede @ AD

• edited November 2013

@Cambo said: Single vessel all grain whiskey by Swede @ AD

Awesome. Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one. Just what I was looking for.

• edited November 2013

Old timers used to make what they call submarine stills. The mash, ferment, and distill all in one pot. There is not racking. They come in throw the head on and fire it up. It had wooden sides and could be up to 500 gal or maybe more. I would say it would make a sub par drop because the mash (everything is cooked lees and all) is not racked. It would be OK if it was racked IMHO.

• edited November 2013

There is an Aussie company that makes a fermenter/still boiler setup using a 50l beer keg. Don't know what it's like and they don't put a lot of detail on the website but they say that the lees are removed prior to distilling so there has to be something in place to allow that to happen.

• @applepie said: Old timers used to make what they call submarine stills. The mash, ferment, and distill all in one pot. There is not racking. They come in throw the head on and fire it up. It had wooden sides and could be up to 500 gal or maybe more. I would say it would make a sub par drop because the mash (everything is cooked lees and all) is not racked. It would be OK if it was racked IMHO.

Old timers? That's what we see on the TV show Moonshiners. :)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited November 2013

I did it with a steam injected mash tun/fermenter/boiler called black betty a few years ago. It was slow and cooking corn was still cooking corn. I had some problems seaing the lid etc. But it worked.

Ultimate Steam Injected Mash Pot/Fermenter/Stripping Still @ AD

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @unsub said: There is an Aussie company that makes a fermenter/still boiler setup using a 50l beer keg. Don't know what it's like and they don't put a lot of detail on the website but they say that the lees are removed prior to distilling so there has to be something in place to allow that to happen.

I'd be asking if they own that keg they are selling. Not like buying something off a mate once it becomes a commercial operation.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Moonshine yea that's exactly what I am talking about. The one Tickle and Tim had. Im not sure what size that one is but prob not that big. I am not that old but seen pics of 15-25 of the submarine stills all in one site and all of them 500-700 gal each. Gotta stir that with a mash paddle till it boils to keep the corn from scorching. Don't sound fun to me. 600galx10%=120gal of 100 proof per still and 20 stills per site is 2400 gal per run. Run 2 times a week. Think them men made money and worked hard? Howd you like to meet up in a back alley with that guy that had to stir the boiler for hours at a time to mash in and start to run an on grain run. It would feel like he hit you with a gun.